gsop_3's body transformation workout log

W/O from yesterday - Wed. Feb. 9th, 2011

Usual warm-up on treadmill for 10 minutes, stretching for 10 minutes, then...

Squats:

1x5 - 90kg (198lbs.)

1x5 - 100kg (220lbs.)

1x5 - 115kg (253lbs.)

5x5 - 123kg (271lbs.)

OHP: These were SUPER HARD today...maybe all of the time my daughter was on my shoulders took it's toll.

1x5 - 67kg

1x4 - 67kg

3x5 - 55kg

Deads:

2x5 - 130kg (286lbs.)

Pull-ups:

3x5 - bodyweight (84kg that morning)

Just wanted to mention that all of these lifts are still without a belt or straps. Hoping to go get a massage today, too! Oh Yeah!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's W/O

First, I've not been to the gym in 5 days and I've been feeling anxious. Various circumstances and no excuses.

Today was a bit of a humbling experience on squats. I did the usual warm-up of ten minutes on the treadmill and then stretching for ten. loaded the bar to 95kg and did my first set of 5. The weight was light and the reps felt strong and clean. Next I loaded it with 105kg for 5 reps. Still feeling really good. Next was 115kg for 5 reps which felt easier than the other two. So, at this point I am figuring today is going to be awesome. Loaded the bar to 125kg, got the weight up and stood there for ten seconds and re-racked the weight. It felt SO heavy! After a couple minutes I got back under the bar and started what should have been my first set of 5. I barely got the third rep up and thought I was going to hurl. Racked the weight and decided to try once more after a brief rest. Got under the weight and same thing...almost didn't get the 3rd rep up. Mind you, I don't have a power rack to dump the bar on and no spotter. (still no belt) So, for safety's sake I stopped there for the day and moved on to bench. I needed to redeem myself after that experience on squats. Loaded the bar up to 91kg and cranked out the first set. Now I have a spotter. the next three sets were great. but on the 4th rep of set 5, I lost it. couldn't get past the sticking point. Even though I failed to get all5x5 for today, I felt like I really beat my pecs. I'm looking forward to the next work out with Bench. I concluded the W/O with 3 sets of 5 reps with 67kg on BB Rows.

In summary:

Squats:

1x5 - 95kg (209lbs)

1x5 - 105kg (231lbs)

1x5 - 115kg (253lbs)

2x3 - 125kg (275lbs)

Bench:

4x5 - 91kg (200.2lbs)

1x4 - 91kg

BB Rows:

3x5 - 67kg (147.4lbs)

I also did a set of dips for some reps in the middle of the rows...I don't know how many.

My weight this morning was 83.5 kg (183.7lbs)

Glad you got yourself to the gym. Does this ring true or am I full it:

"Better to have an off day in the gym than not going to the gym at all."

I for sure have had off days doing my routines. Yeah I wonder if it's better to give up and go home sometimes, but each time when I hung in there, I still felt better for at least trying.

I'm sure your next time to go in, you'll be kicking but!

That trip looks like it was a lot of fun! And don't concern yourself too much on the squats. Maybe you had a bad day, maybe you will even have to ease off them a little, but you are still worlds ahead of where you started, and I'm sure that is noticeable in everyday living and in your strength levels. Exercise is a means of reducing stress, being healthy, and having fun! So take each day as part of the journey, and just do your best.

Hey guys, thanks for the encouraging words! Now I know there's more than three people out there checking in on my log! YAY! haha The last workout really shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, I guess. After all, I took a week off worked out once and then had five more days off before this pathetic workout. Perhaps I just need to take a few steps back and start progressing from there...maintaining a new set of consistency.

Today's W/O:

usual warm-up -treadmill and stretch

So, I made some improvement on my squats since Monday, but still not what I want. I was going really good up to the heavy set. the first 4 reps at 125 felt great, but as I went for the 5th rep, I failed and had to dump the bar off my back down to the floor with a big crash! Boy, did I get some looks! Believe it or not, this was actually a confidence booster for me because I don't have a power rack or a spotter. So, to know that I can safely dump the bar behind me, lets me know it's OK to try that "one more rep." I'll try again at this weight on Friday. If I still can't get it, then, I'll back down the weight and start progressing again from there...hopefully blowing past 125kg 5x5.

Squats:

1x5 - 95kg

1x5 - 105kg

1x5 - 115kg

1x4 - 125kg - (Dumped the bar for the first time -ever- on rep 5)

2x3 - 125kg

OHP:

5x5 - 57kg

Deads:

1x5 - 135kg - The skin on my hands felt like it was going to tear on the last rep - no chalk or anything...just good 'ol sweaty hands!

Still don't have a belt or straps. That may limit me sometime in the future, but seems to be working fine for now.

So, today was my first day back in the teacher's office preparing for the new semester. no more playing all day every day

Before listing the results of today's W/O I feel compelled to share a mistake I have continued making with the SL 5x5 up until now with the I can prevent others from making the same mistake. I just read the SL 5x5 report for the first time today and discovered that this whole time, I should have been doing warm-up sets before going to the working weight! It only took until I stalled for the first time to realize I needed more info. I feel so foolish for waiting until now to read the report. I like to call that behavior "zeal without knowledge," a common occurrence among humans, or so I hear... So, now I still have zeal with more then zero knowledge and just enough to (hopefully) keep me out of trouble for a while.

SO, starting today, I'll be doing warm-up sets on ALL exercises before using the working weight. I hope this will enable me to get more gains and feel more prepared and confident going into the heavier sets. Sorry to be so long winded today! That said...

Today's W/O:

Usual warm-up on treadmill and stretch plus rolling out my glutes and back on a basketball (found some really tender spots that turned my grin into a grimace. Today is my first day of de-loading for the first time on squats and the first one since starting the SL 5x5 method. I figured rather than try again at 125kg 5x5 it would be better to go down now and get back up sooner...soooo...

Squats:

1x5 - 85kg

1x5 - 95kg

5x5 - 105kg (a little more than 10% lower, but not going to sweat it)

Bench:

1x5 - 65kg

1x5 - 75kg

5x5 - 91kg SO STOKED!

BB Rows:

3x5 - 69kg (next time I'll plan to do some warm-up sets before the working weight...I sort of forgot)

Those of you out there who have been keeping up-to-date on my log, feel free to share your thoughts on what I've written above. Thanks in advance, all! Peace (平安)!

Today was the first day of classes for the new semester. I LOVE my students! I missed them so much. NE-ways, got to my workout around 3:30 with no afternoon nourishment. BIG mistake! I had maybe a handful of peanuts around 1:15 and a few more around 2:15 but that was it. I also didn't eat any rice (or any other form of carbs at lunch or breakfast), only stir-fry eggplant and green beans. Needless to say, I had a rough time fighting the weights today. I got through all of my squats just fine, but ran out of gyass on the second set of OHP. I crashed hard-core (blood sugar, not the weights) and had to phone my wife to bring me a protein drink ASAP - I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful and supportive wife! Once she arrived, I sipped on that until I felt better, then went back in there and cranked out the rest of the workout. I was very tempted to just call it a day and go home and go to bed, but I'm glad I stuck it out and finished strong!

The sets were as follows:

Squats:

1x5 - 85kg

1x5 - 95kg

5x5 - 107kg

OHP

1x5 - 35kg

1x5 - 45kg

1x5 - 59kg

1x4 - 59kg (followed by about 30 minutes recovery)

3x5 - 59kg

Deads:

1x5 - 105kg

1x5 - 125kg

1x5 - 140kg (used mixed grip and had to re-set my grip for the last rep)

Chins:

3x5 - bodyweight (84.5kg - as of this morning)

Today's W/O was split in two because of time. This morning I did my squats and this evening I did my bench and BB rows. In the morning I did my usual warm-up but added some myofacial work on my thighs and glutes with a baseball bat (rolling, not beating) since I don't have foam rollers. I also taped two tennis balls together to use on my spinal erectors - thoracic mobility work. Man, that felt really good!

The numbers looked like this:

(Morning)

Squats:

1x5 - 85kg

1x5 - 95kg

5x5 - 109kg (I did these with my eyes closed. Seemed to help me focus on the form of the movement rather than my form in the mirror)

======================================================

(Evening)

Bench:

1x5 - 75kg

1x5 - 85kg

1x5 - 93kg

1x4 - 93kg

1x4 - 93kg

1x3 - 93kg

1x2 - 93kg (looks like I'll be keeping this weight next time)

BB Rows:

1x5 - 55kg

1x5 - 65kg

4x5 - 71kg (Note: SL 5x5 calls for 3x5) I disobeyed and did an extra set since I was feeling strong.

@Lobsteriffic, Chewybaws - Thanks for the encouragement! ...and as you said Chewy...Have to do what you have to do! It's so great to see your comments in my log! Get's me super stoked! Thanks ya'll!

@Robert So far the weekend is AWESOME! I just started my ISSA CFT course and I'm soooo excited. So much great info! Thanks for the well wishes! Hope your weekend is AT LEAST as awesome as mine!! YEAH BUDDY!!!

Today's W/O was great! I felt super strong in all my sets and the weights flew up!

Here's the breakdown:

Squats:

1x5 - 85kg

1x5 - 99kg

5x5 - 111kg

OHP:

1x5 - 45kg

1x5 - 55kg

5x5 - 60kg

Deads: (measured to the center of the bar and found I've been lifting from 7"...about 2" too low! Set up the bar on a couple of plates to raise it up to 8.8" and lifted from there.)

1x5 - 105kg

1x5 - 125kg

1x5 - 145kg

Chins:

3x5 - bodyweight (83.8kg this morning)

Diet-wise, I am cutting carbs down on non-lifting days and only eating rice, etc. on lifting days. I did that all last week and lost a couple pounds (84.5kg down to 83.8kg). I'm sure some of that was water weight but some was def. fat.

OK, headache is gone and feeling much better today! I got plenty of much needed rest and good fooods. Today's W/O was AWESOME! Oh yeah, and did I mention that today's W/O was AWESOME! LOL

I did some myofacial stuff (baseball bat - gets good penetration) before lifting today and didn't do any treadmill but still made sure the blood was flowing and the muscles to be used were adequately warmed up (walking lunges across the gym and some bodyweight squats. I did some dynamic stretching rather than the usual static stretches, as I've learned that static stretching can actually cause a temporary strength loss that can adversely impact training with heavy weights. Judging by the numbers and the way the lifts felt, I'd say it was a success.

The numbers were as follows:

Squats:

1x5 - 87kg

1x5 - 99kg

5x5 - 113 kg (followed by DC style extreme stretching for quads and hams)

Bench:

1x5 - 65kg

1x5 - 77kg

5x5 - 93kg (followed by DC style extreme stretching for pecs with 25lb dumbbells)

BB Rows:

1x5 - 45kg

1x5 - 55kg

5x5 - 73kg (followed by DC style extreme stretching for lats - weighted hang from chin bar with close grip)

Followed all that with a HUGE serving of rice, a steamed bun and rice starch noodles with shredded squash and carrots...and lots of water. Feeling good now with a protein drink just entering the belly! Oh Yeah!

I did some box jumps yesterday. Not sure how many or how high, but I was pretty weak walking (barely) away from it. The quads and periformis (sp?) muscles were and still are quite tender. I used the baseball bat to roll them out again before and after. I think that helped me get through the W/O but they are really sore. Perhaps I'm approaching the point where I need to go lower on the volume for a while - maybe change to 3x5. Not sure. I'll just keep an eye on it for now and see how things go for the next few days' workouts and keep rolling on the bat.

Today's W/O:

Squats:

1x5 - 90kg

1x5 - 105kg

5x5 - 115kg (followed by extreme stretching - perhaps a contributor to the tenderness??)

OHP:

1x5 - 45kg

1x5 - 55kg

5x5 - 61kg (took like 3-4 minutes of rest between the last few sets)

Deads:

1x5 - 105kg

1x5 - 125kg

1x5 - 150kg (felt really strong on this today)(followed with extreme stretching for the hams)

Hey, Chewy, thanks for the pointers!

I find it is quite painful while I'm rolling but it sure feels WAY better once I'm done!

I'd like to think I'm being mindful with the stretching to not go too far. I know I want to at least maintain the flexibility I have...I noticed my flexibility decreasing as of late.

As for the box jumps, I really don't have a graduated set of boxes to jump up...only a ledge that I haven't even measured yet. I'll try to measure it tomorrow...and keep track of how many I do. Maybe I can start jumping up a few stairs at a time first?? We've got stairs EVERYWHERE here!

And, good reminder! Yes, squats come first!

Oh, BTW, I've noticed that your deadlifts are SO heavy! How in the world!? Is that just a lift you are gifted at or what? I mean, I'm at 5x150kg and can't even imagine 1x220kg yet. Amazing, simply amazing!

I have good levers for deadlifting. Real long arms. Technique changes here and there recently are really starting to unlock my potential. The flip side is my bench press.

You seem to have REALLY good base strength and a great attitude towards working out. From your numbers you look like a well rounded lifter, I think you'll be a beasting squatter before long.

...I think you'll be a beasting squatter before long.

I can only hope working hard will bring the results in time! Thanks for the props man! It really keeps me moving towards progress...which really is my goal...just beating the previous numbers. I think it's addicting! ...like eating popcorn! (it's my cryptonite).

I measured the ledge where I jumped at the other day...32" I also found places I can work up to about 48" (all in due time, ay!). The goal for now is to work up to 10x40" first.

Today's W/O

6.5 minutes on treadmill, then...

(rolling pre/post with baseball bat and slightly deflated basketball - hey, it's all I've got)

Squats:

1x5 - 90kg

1x5 - 105kg

5x5 - 117kg (all sets flew FAST with little rest in between. I breathed out and back in at the top of each rep - ALL reps were DEEP) no belt.

Bench:

1x5 - 70kg

1x5 - 85kg

3x5 - 94kg

1x4 - 94kg (really pissed about this. I usually pause at the top to make sure I'm in line but didn't between 4th and 5th, so I failed to get it passed the sticking point

1x5 - 94kg

BB Rows:

1x5 - 65kg

1x5 - 70kg

5x5 - 75kg (started to heave to cheat the bar up a little on the last couple reps of the last set)

Another GREAT W/O today! Everything went up great. and still getting PRs on the deadlifts. I think I might need to look into finding a good belt pretty soon. Any suggestions?

here's the breakdown...

(rolled with the basketball, baseball bat and double-tennis balls before and baseball bat after)

Squats:

1x5 - 90kg

1x5 - 105kg

5x5 - 119kg (last time I was at this weight, I found myself leaning too far forward. This time around, though, I am finding it easier to stay in the "groove" coming up out of the hole. Partly because of corrected form and partly because of more strength.) (quads DC stretch after)

OHP:

1x5 - 45kg

1x5 - 55kg

5x5 - 62kg

Deads:

1x5 - 105kg

1x5 - 125kg

1x5 - 155kg (I was still using normal grip for the first two reps, when it failed at the top on the second. I quickly changed to mixed grip and cranked out the rest of the set). (hams DC stretch after)

Chins: (Thankfully, I still had enough grip after deads to do them - chest all the way to the bar each rep)

3x5 - BW -(87kg clothed today)(lats DC stretch after)

Side-note: The plates and 15kg bar I am using can only go up to 165kg...As it is, I'm using 1-15kg and 5-10kg plates and a 5kg on each side (which is all there is here) (140kg+bar=155kg) - looks pretty ugly, really.

Not sure what to do after that - only two more dead-lift sessions away from that 165kg mark. Do another set of five? LOL

Great lifting all round, you're damn strong man. Loving the extra myofascial release work as well.

If your gym doesn't have over 165kg on the barbell I doubt it'd have chains or bands to add to the deadlift to make it harder. Yeah you could add reps or sets, or do deficit deadlifts (stand on something to allow a larger ROM) but eventually you'll need to find somewhere where you can use more weight. Until then your gains could hurt.

http://strengthshop.co.uk/index.php/powerlifting/powerlifting-belts.html

Vegan belts, don't know how much you'd be paying for postage though.

@lobsteriffic, thanks for stoppin' by! Actually, technically, I could say everything from the beginning has been a PR LOL - since I'm only several months into lifting. It's good to know I'm being watched...great for accountability! Which reminds me! You're also doing a SL5x5 and I've been watching! Keep up the great work and stay patient and consistent for your gains - especially OHP! I'd say deload and go with smaller increments if you can. Don't do a push press, stay strict and you'll get it.

@Chewy, Yeah, the gym here is really just what the school has. It's super small but it's free and there's zero travel time, so I can't complain too much. I'll try to get a pic up so you can see where I lift. (I don't have to worry about people mooning me here lol)

I think you'll get a kick out of the what they call squat stands here. Some lifters might call it a joke. Perhaps I can personally invest in some REAL weights and a power rack and have my own space in there...only, I probably have to be willing to let others use it, which is no big deal for me...just the initial investment.

Sadly, the internet is heavily monitored and filtered here so I can't even access the strength shop site ... unless I get a VPN sometime soon. It's really weird which sites get blocked...no rhyme or reason to it. Oh, well! I'm a guest here and have to deal with it.

Edited by gsop_3