BLOAT

Ok so I've been vegan for a couple weeks now and eating quite a bit of course as I'm still "bulking". I was always bloated when I still ate meat and dairy and tons of rice. During the first week of eating vegan the bloat seemed like it was going away ohhhhh I was so happy! NOPE... it's definitely back and if not worse I don't get it.

Any ideas? I do eat a lot of soy at the moment as my main protein source. I dunno just looking to see if anyone else fought with bloat.

Thanks!

I used to be bloated in the past, but now I eat beans by the kilogram and hardly ever even fart. Well, sometimes. I guess it just takes time to get used to the amounts of fiber a vegan gets. If it doesn't go away after a month or so, I'd experiment with different foods to see which agree with your digestive system better.

And, btw, there's no need to eat bucketloads of soy to get protein - there are many fine sources. I hardly eat soy these days, just got bored of it.

Thanks for the insight.. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment deal. The main reason I'm using soy so much is because it's most familiar to me and I didn't have to completely lose my eating schedule in the process of switching to veganism (that a real word?) lol.. I honestly think I have an idea of what it is. The one thing I have an abundance of with every meal lately, and is known to cause gas and bloat, is broccoli. I'm going to switch that out for another green and see what happens. WOOHOOOOOOO! It just sucks when you have abs with a distended gut!!!!! I'm not on Growth Hormone damnit!!!! lol

Ha, ha, Swole, you crack me up! I wish you were at my gym--it'd be awesome having your pumped power ricocheting off the walls in there. Good times!

Hey, on the bloat thing, I've noticed that when I'm under certain kinds of mental stress, I'll manifest it in my body. Sometimes food won't even play a part, it'll all be anger or worry or something and I'll get weird stuff out of nowhere like acne, gas bloat, weakness, etc. Food elimination is usually the first step but while you're at it, think about what you've been thinking about. If what you've been thinking about--and how you're thinking about it--is making you feel strong, powerful, and good, then no worries. If it's anything else, (and you might already do this) watch some stand up comedy before heading to the gym. Nothing loosens the internal body like laughter. It won't weaken you, just relax the systems so you can start stronger. Works for me every time. I'm not saying any of the above is you; just wanted to put something out there that works for me. I usually follow up the comedy stints with some head-banging rock to get pumped!

Attack those 60 pounders!

Baby Herc

Man, when I first switched to a primarily vegan diet (still had some cheese in there for awhile in the beginning) I was farting non stop and was constantly bloated. Otherwise I felt so good that I decided to keep at it. Eventually I eliminated cheese and started taking half servings of Tru-Food Vegan (cheap version of Vega) which has priobiotics in it. Now the correlation may mean nothing, but fairly soon after I started taking the Tru-Food Vegan my bloating and gas stopped and I mean completely stopped. I suspect the culprit may be the probiotics in the supplement, however it could have been the removal of the cheese or just happenstance. I could have just reached that point where my body adjusted. Who really knows? I would suggest maybe trying a probiotic supplement for a couple weeks and see if that helps.

edit: I should add that aside from the removal of cheese and the introduction of Tru-Food Vegan stuff, my diet was pretty much identical to what it was when I was experiencing the serious bloating.

Guys thank you! Herc I would love to train in your gym and shake a few people up! hahahaha I do think I found the problem! FUCKING BROCCOLI !!!! I haven't had any these past few days (and I was eating the hell outta that stuff) and NO MORE BLOAT! Heeellllllll yyyyyeeeesssssssssssssssss!!!!

I know what you mean about mental stress though as I have definitely payed attention to how that stuff can affect my body. I'm really good about keeping calm and allowing it all to just come out when I train. No matter the situation I look at the brighter side of it and focus on that. Once I'm warmed up and under a bar tho... it all comes out!

Oh and Permabear... Probiotics are fantastic! I sell the hell out of them at the store.. we use the NOW 25 billion count. I had stopped for a while but also started back up recently. It's great stuff and I recommend everyone on a bulking diet to add them in!

Thank you for the help guys!!!!!

Water, and if I were you I'd find out how much fiber you're taking in. There may have been too big of a jump too soon and so your body's reacting. While it CAN adjust over time, the best way to deal with it is drink water, stay active, don't eat big meals.

Bloating can happen for different reasons, and when it happens to me it's a huge deal. Huge like I gain 7" in my waist--no joke, I've measured!

I never got used to soy. I had to give it up.. I can have small amounts of soy milk and THAT'S IT. No tofu allowed, or I get the worst bloat + gas pain.

I eat a lot of spinach, and switched to hemp protein which is expensive and hard to find.. I use creatine too, and I kinda like how it makes me look bigger because I'm pretty skinny.. and I don't think it's feminine to have forearm veins.