Protein Powders - How Much Protein is actually in yours?

When you are looking at protein powders, other than it being vegan what are you looking for (price?Flavour?)?

I ask this because for me I look at how many grams of protein I get per serving and that doesn't seem to be a concern for many from some of the posts I've read.

Now I'm just going for memory so I could be off a bit but I think

Vega Sport provides 20g

NOW Tru-Food Vegan 26 g

Sun Warrior 15g

NCN (North Coast Naturals) 15g

(I realize how many grams and ingredients may also vary from Canada -where I am- and the US)

I realize also taste of course is important if you are mixing it with water (unless you plan to turn it into a shake/smoothie with other ingredients)

I just finished my last tub of Vega Sport Protein and I think I'll be changing to NOW instead. I ordered a tub and it just got in.

Has anyone here tried NOW? What do you think of it?

Thanks for reading and replying!

NOW Tru-Food Vegan 26 g

Has anyone here tried NOW? What do you think of it?

Thanks for reading and replying!

I have almost finished my first tub of the NOW Tru-Food Vegan Berry flavor and it is good for the price IMO. However, it only has 13g protein per serving, not 26g. If you doubled the serving you would only have 14 servings per jug. Anyway, it tastes bad but tolerable on its own. If you've ever had the Vanilla Chai Vega it tastes like the aftertaste the Chai gives you, but much less pleasant and several times stronger. I put it in a smooothie with spinach, kale, collards, banana, blueberry, strawberry, flax, sunflower seeds, and blackstrap molasses and it pretty much disappears, however I think I can taste the stevia in it.

I have always compared grams per serving/servings per container with the price. Taste comes in second for me. A lot of the time I will just go for non-flavored or vanilla so it will take on the taste of whatever fruit I combine with it.

What I'll be pissed if it's only 13g!

I specifically asked the store owner how many grams and he told me 26g!

Ughhh! Going to call right now ...hang on!

Grrr! It is 13! He said he was looking at the percentage of daily value which is 26%. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Well needless to say he is not holding me to my order as it was his misguidance.

Guess I'll be picking up another tub of Vega instead.

LOL!

What I'll be pissed if it's only 13g!

I specifically asked the store owner how many grams and he told me 26g!

Ughhh! Going to call right now ...hang on!

Grrr! It is 13! He said he was looking at the percentage of daily value which is 26%. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Well needless to say he is not holding me to my order as it was his misguidance.

Guess I'll be picking up another tub of Vega instead.

LOL!

Vega and Tru-Food Vegan have the same amount of protein/gram, but the Tru-Food Vegan comes in 1000g containers with 28 servings of 13g of protein while Vega has 14 servings of 26g protein in a 1000g container. Vega's single serving is two scoops while Tru-Food Vegan lists a single serving as one scoop. Make sense? Vega and Tru-Food are basically identical.

Anyway if you want all the supplemental stuff thats in Vega or the Tru-Food, but want a lot of protein too and don't want all the cost, I suggest using half a scoop (1/4 of a serving of Vega or 1/2 a serving of Tru-Food) that way you get 6.5g/protein and around 25% DV of all your nutrients, along with a cheaper custom protein mix from somewhere like trueprotein.com. I use 1/2 a scoop of the Tru-Food Vegan (which gives me a total of 56 servings per 1000g jar at a total cost of $29.50) along with a scoop of trueprotein.com rice/pea/hemp custom mix which costs around $10 per pound or so after shipping.

Thanks so much for your replies they really are appreciated.

I like the idea of formulating my own protein mix and I think I will look into that.

Here (Canada) the Vega Sport Protein comes in 826g and is one scoop 27g which for me gives me just over a month's supply a tub as I only use it once a day after work-outs.

Well I picked up my tub of Berry Vega Sport Protein

...and while out shopping found a few new vegan proteins has anyone heard of or tried any of the following?

Progressive Nutrition Harmonized Vegan Protein

Genuine Health Vegan Proteins

Garden of Life Raw Protein

I don't take fooling around with "Vegan" labelling lightly!

So I contacted Garden of Life and asked if the product was truly vegan or not.

Here is there reply:

Thank you for your email and interest in Garden of Life's products. We recognize that the choice to become a Vegetarian or Vegan is intensely personal and requires tremendous individual commitment. We, at Garden of Life, honor that choice and are committed to your pursuit of Extraordinary Health.

Vitamin D, particularly D3, is a vital fat soluble nutrient which is vital to your health. Emerging science is studying the links between D3 and bone, breast and prostate health and many other conditions that affect our well-being. We, at Garden of Life, passionately believe that as a Vegan, supplementation is an important consideration for you as your diet may be lacking in Vitamin D, especially during the Fall and Winter months. That's why we have created what we consider to be a valuable, Vegan friendly Vitamin D3 nutrient. The following briefly explains our D3 process:

The vitamins and minerals included in VITΔMIN CODE formulas are delivered in a whole food form as RAW Food-Created Nutrients. This process utilizes a single isolated vitamin or mineral that is fed to the yeast or probiotic. A specific peptide designed for that particular nutrient is then introduced in order to allow the nutrient to be metabolized (or absorbed) through the yeast’s cell wall. This process mimics nature, just like when a plant takes an inorganic mineral salt that is naturally occurring in the soil (selenium for example), and absorbs it into its roots, the plant becomes rich in selenium. This process is conducted with two distinct organisms – S. cerevisiae (baker’s yeast) and L. bulgaricus (probiotic culture used in traditional yogurt recipes which is non-dairy).

Vitamin Code D3 is made with RAW Food-Created Vitamin D3 and we consider it to be vegetarian and vegan friendly, however please visit our website for more information about how this product is made and the vegan nature of the Vitamin D www.gardenoflife.com/D3

The Garden of Life "vegan" D3 is a crock, here's the simplest explanation:

They PURCHASE lanolin-based, non-vegan D3 to start the process. That right there is akin to saying you need to go buy a beef hamburger to create a vegan burger - something that makes no sense.

Then, to put it in simplest terms, the non-vegan D3 is leeched into soil and absorbed by plants. It is then harvested from these plants and called "raw vegan D3". But, it STILL required the use of lanolin-based D3 from the start. Yet they still call it a vegan product...

They like to whitewash their statements to try and confuse people, but it's a lot of hot air. I spent quite a bit of time with their reps at a tradeshow in March, and all they did was insinuate that since veganism isn't perfect, we should just accept their D3 as being good enough.

If you truly don't want to support a company who wants to pull the wool over our eyes (yes, that is a D3 joke for you right there ), don't buy from Garden of Life. Not only is the D3 in their individual supplement for it, but they said to me they were working on incorporating it into their other currently-vegan items. What that means is, if you see anything of theirs that doesn't specify D2/ergocalciferol in the ingredients (or, if it just lists D), then you should assume they've moved to the new not-actually-very-vegan D3 in that item.

Shout it out to them that you're not falling for the deception, the more they hear it, the more likely they'll be to stop trying to lie to the community to make a quick buck.

I don't take fooling around with "Vegan" labelling lightly!

So I contacted Garden of Life and asked if the product was truly vegan or not.

Here is there reply:

Thank you for your email and interest in Garden of Life's products. We recognize that the choice to become a Vegetarian or Vegan is intensely personal and requires tremendous individual commitment. We, at Garden of Life, honor that choice and are committed to your pursuit of Extraordinary Health.

Vitamin D, particularly D3, is a vital fat soluble nutrient which is vital to your health. Emerging science is studying the links between D3 and bone, breast and prostate health and many other conditions that affect our well-being. We, at Garden of Life, passionately believe that as a Vegan, supplementation is an important consideration for you as your diet may be lacking in Vitamin D, especially during the Fall and Winter months. That's why we have created what we consider to be a valuable, Vegan friendly Vitamin D3 nutrient. The following briefly explains our D3 process:

The vitamins and minerals included in VITΔMIN CODE formulas are delivered in a whole food form as RAW Food-Created Nutrients. This process utilizes a single isolated vitamin or mineral that is fed to the yeast or probiotic. A specific peptide designed for that particular nutrient is then introduced in order to allow the nutrient to be metabolized (or absorbed) through the yeast’s cell wall. This process mimics nature, just like when a plant takes an inorganic mineral salt that is naturally occurring in the soil (selenium for example), and absorbs it into its roots, the plant becomes rich in selenium. This process is conducted with two distinct organisms – S. cerevisiae (baker’s yeast) and L. bulgaricus (probiotic culture used in traditional yogurt recipes which is non-dairy).

Vitamin Code D3 is made with RAW Food-Created Vitamin D3 and we consider it to be vegetarian and vegan friendly, however please visit our website for more information about how this product is made and the vegan nature of the Vitamin D http://www.gardenoflife.com/D3