Good lifting shoes?????

boardn10

Can anyone give advice for lifting shoes for deads and squats for someone like me with wide, wide feet. I wear size US 12, 6E. That is about as wide as it gets before you have to have em custom made. Very hard to find shoes for me.

Closest I found for lifting shoes for me are Etnies skate shoes. Take a look and see what you think. They are considered normal width but they run wide. They are more like an xtra wide shoe, still not as wide as my 6E feet so my feet still push on the sides!

http://etnies.com/shop/alpha-6/brown-blue/

• 2 weeks later...

I have size 11 - 12 US, depending on the shoe and my feet are wide and flat. I just got some of the strength shop shoes and they're great for squats. The sizing of them is quite large, so if you're looking at getting some, I'd recommend that you get at least a half size down from your normal shoe size. Keep in mind that US 12 is UK 11, so you'd be looking at either a UK 10.5 or 10.

For deadlifts, anything with a solid flat sole will do, or just go barefoot or in socks if you can.

I have size 11 - 12 US, depending on the shoe and my feet are wide and flat. I just got some of the strength shop shoes and they're great for squats. The sizing of them is quite large, so if you're looking at getting some, I'd recommend that you get at least a half size down from your normal shoe size. Keep in mind that US 12 is UK 11, so you'd be looking at either a UK 10.5 or 10.

For deadlifts, anything with a solid flat sole will do, or just go barefoot or in socks if you can.

Those shoes don't look really wide but I guess they are since you have wide feet as well. I don't like that the heel looks so tall! I prefer my foot flat on the ground, hence less heel!

Maybe some sort of weightlifting slipper.

How wide are those deadlift slippers. I could just pop them out of my gym bag when I squat or deadlift and put my sneaks back on when switching to other movements.

I would think barefoot would be best for squat and deadlift. I do stiff legged and standard deads.

I thought the point in deadlift slippers was that the rules state you have to be wearing shoes, so competitive powerlifters go with the thinnest shoes possible.

I don't think there's any advantage or any particular suitability to them outside of fulfilling the rules. Buying a pair to train in seems like a waste of money to me. Like sosso says, just take your regular shoes off.

I thought the point in deadlift slippers was that the rules state you have to be wearing shoes, so competitive powerlifters go with the thinnest shoes possible.

I don't think there's any advantage or any particular suitability to them outside of fulfilling the rules. Buying a pair to train in seems like a waste of money to me. Like sosso says, just take your regular shoes off.

Hi! What about for squatting?

I would think deadlift slippers would be more hygenic than being barefoot, and better grip than with socks only.

Hi! What about for squatting?

Deadlifting slippers are for deadlifting obviously. for squatting I would say either weightlifting shoes like discussed above, or flat stable shoes like chuck taylors or skate shoes. I think squatting barefoot will be suboptimal for stability.

Thanks Bronco!

I have been using skate shoes and their is less squish for sure....but they are still not wide enough so my feet really push out the sides. I can't find any shoe that is really wide enough. Weird with the skate shoes though...I find myself tipping forward a bit at the top. My cross trainers have a slight heel lift so I have to watch my form now.

For stiff legged dead lifts maybe I am fine with the shoes I am wearing. So why the big difference in what is on your feet between deads and squats? Are you only talking standard squats or stiff?

Thanks Bronco!

I have been using skate shoes and their is less squish for sure....but they are still not wide enough so my feet really push out the sides. I can't find any shoe that is really wide enough. Weird with the skate shoes though...I find myself tipping forward a bit at the top. My cross trainers have a slight heel lift so I have to watch my form now.

For stiff legged dead lifts maybe I am fine with the shoes I am wearing. So why the big difference in what is on your feet between deads and squats? Are you only talking standard squats or stiff?

The main reason for wearing a very thin shoe for deadlifting is that you get a few centimeter closer to the bar and so get a slightly better starting position. I would say this only matters if you are competing, otherwise any stable shoe will do.

For medium to narrow stance squats, having a bit of heel helps some people get enough depth and enables the upper body stay more upright. For wider stance squats I think flat shoes are better, not sure though.

• 1 month later...

Do they make Vibrams or Deadlifting slippers in a Wide size? In shoes I take a 6E! That is wide!

Bronco...

Since I am tall I find squatting harder so I have been concentrating on trap bar deadlifts which I have read often, are as good as squats when done correctly and very productive for tall people who struggle in squatting and/or have back issues. Thoughts? I do trap bar deadlifts, stiff legged deads to hit the hams and then heavy bent rows followed by pull ups...that is my big leg/back day. Right now I am using Drew Cross Trainers.

Since I am tall I find squatting harder so I have been concentrating on trap bar deadlifts which I have read often, are as good as squats when done correctly and very productive for tall people who struggle in squatting and/or have back issues. Thoughts? I do trap bar deadlifts, stiff legged deads to hit the hams and then heavy bent rows followed by pull ups...that is my big leg/back day. Right now I am using Drew Cross Trainers.

Dont think being tall necesarily is that bad for squatting, but different proportion and flexibility makes squats easier for some and harder for some. I do think everyone can learn to squat with enough training though. Never tried trap bar deadlifts, but they might do the job I think. Crosstrainers sound like they might be a bit softer than optimal, but if you have no issues with stability it should be ok I for deadlifting I think.