Whos' Raw? and who wants to tell me about it?

amawalke

BTW, with nutrient dense smoothies, nuts, seeds, fruits & vegs, and other raw foods there is no problem at all getting enough calories on a raw diet. The idea that a cooked vegan diet supplies more calories makes no sense to me;

How is cooking the raw food going to give you more calories? The only thing that would give you more muscle building calories on a vegan diet as opposed to raw would be the use of powdered proteins as a supplement.

The idea is that there are many more vegan foods in total when you include non-raw foods, and those can be very calorie dense compared to raw foods....

Some examples, please?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Fallen_Horse,

You have me there, I suppose.

I guess with me, I have been a clean eater for so long, that I really wouldn't consider using processed foods.

I feel that when you are eating clean enough, your body will make better use of the nutrients that it takes in, thus requiring less than someone who eats a more traditional or cooked food diet.

Better bio-availability, higher nutrient uptake into the system, stuff like that.

Interesting video, though he never gets around to telling you how much he spends on food or describing his workouts. He also spouts a lot of the anti-scientific claptrap raw foodism is famous for.

Still, it shows what people can do if they get adequate calories on a diet of good food and if they workout hard.

i really dont know how he menages to be that big on raw food. I tried it and got very skinny, and I ate tons of fruits and calories, I wasnt starving. I wish I could be raw and get bigger, but it seems to be impossible for me. I do feel great though when on raw food.

Well, he only gave a superficial account of his eating and workout history. He may not have remembered things correctly or told the truth ( this is the internet ). He may have put on weight eating other things. Regardless, maintaining his size on that diet is impressive.

Some people have very "fuel efficient" systems too. I eat a lot less calories for someone of my size.

I would imagine his ratios are not nearly 80/10/10 like you tried vege, but probably more like 50/35/15. He does have a fair bit of fat along with all that muscle...

Before 80/10/10 I tried raw food but with lots of fats and I felt terrible! I simply couldn't digest all that fat. Maybe it works for somebody, but for me definitively not. And pleaaase, talk no more about 80/10/10 because I am seriously tempted to try it again! But I don't want to loose weight

I tried a high fat raw food diet. I felt horrible. I do a low fat vegan diet, and I don't eat gluten. I feel very good this way actually, the only thing that I have to drink much more water.

Actually fructose is not unhealthy. Best to my knowledge fructose doesn't need insulin to get in to the cels. But when stored in the liver when the body re uses it it's going to be converted glucose wich needs insulin.

What made you feel bad about the high fat raw food diet? I felt awesome the first few days I was eating as much raw as I could, but then I just started feeling sluggish when I ate more nuts and coconut oil. I'm trying to cut back more now, but that leads to me eating less raw! It seems like most raw protein sources are higher fat.

What made you feel bad about the high fat raw food diet? I felt awesome the first few days I was eating as much raw as I could, but then I just started feeling sluggish when I ate more nuts and coconut oil. I'm trying to cut back more now, but that leads to me eating less raw! It seems like most raw protein sources are higher fat.

as I said, I can't stand fat no matter what kind. I was always sick after meals with to much cream, butter, oil, nuts, seeds... On the other hand, since i was a child i could eat tons of sugars without getting sick. I remember once I had 300 g of chocolate in one sitting and I didn't feel sick after that at all. Dr Graham, author of the 80/10/10 diet says we humans have naturally developed taste for sweet, because we are meant to eat sweet, but FRUIT, not candies. That's why most of the people like candies. They actually crave fruit, but they don't recognize it. And that is really truth. I never craved chocolate or bread when on 80/10/10 diet.

Too much fat is hard on your liver, as I know. A little fat is necessary, as reserves for times when you are sick or without food. And as I know, a little saturated fat as well (it's not 100% bad for you, it has some functions in body), which is to be found in coconut and brazil nuts, for example. But not more than 10 percent of your calories intake in total That is like 80-100 gr of nuts per day, or less.

I had lot of mucus in my nose when I got up in the morning. I felt sluggish, I totally slowed down. Also I digest high fat foods very slowly I feelk sick afterwards, and all I wan to do is to sleep all day. I think a high carb low fat cooked diet is better than a high fat raw diet, even the 811 book says to choose high carb cooked over high fat raw.

I think I am going to try and cut down on my fat...I used to eat a TON of fruit as a kid and it was the best thing ever! Plus I keep feeling too full at the end of the day. I might shoot for fat as less than 10 percent of my cals per day, but I doubt I'll make it at first. Ah well...if at first you don't succeed...

I watched the video about the bodybuilding cab driver. He said he had kidney stone as a vegetarian and a vegan. But he didn't said what he was eating on tge vegetarian and vegan diet. If he was eating pizzas and shit processed foods no wonder why he got sick.... I got sick even on the 811 diet, I mean I got flues and stuff only I healed much more faster. Now I'm eating grains and beans and some steames veggies too, it's still a low fat diet, and I feel pretty good actually and my skin is glowing like on the 811 diet.

Ok, if I agree with that perspective then my comment becomes, "blending/processing helps break down foods so they are better digested and the nutrients are more fully absorbed by your body."

No, because :

A food processor chops everything into little tiny pieces; takes the whole human experience out of actually chewing. Plus chewing is part of the digestive system..saliva.

What you say is like when Zack was saying that cooking food has the same result has eating raw food except that cooked food is easier to digest because its kinda pre-digested. Its not the same at all, because the heat of cooking will "digest" food in a oven or in a pan, but real digestion will occur in our body. Zack said if its burned in the pan or in the stomach its the same... Not at all. The stomach don't use real fire or boiling water, it uses acid gastric juices, and nutrients are not being destroyed, they are absorbed and transformed and used by the body. Nothing is lost, everything is transformed. If it would be true that our stomach destroys and kill food then how are we getting vitamins from food ?

We want the food in our body, not in a pan, with all the nutrients melting away, steaming and evaporating away or being burned, transformed into ashes with no or poor nutritional value. So when you wanna be nourrished and fuel your body, you better transform food to energy in your body. If you wanna transform food into heat, you can throw oil in a fire, if you wanna fuel a train you throw coal in the fire, not elsewhere, otherwise the train won't move. The place of transformation is important depending what use you wanna make of the energy.

Well you guys can chew and I will blend and it will all get digested the same in the end.
How do you know ? When you eat a whole food you chew it a lot, with saliva. The blender doesn't have saliva, so if you skip the basic steps right at the beginning its impossible that the end will be the same. Grains especially need the enzymes in saliva, they almost entirely digested in the mouth. Make the test with bread, let it melt in your mouth with saliva it will dissolve into simple sugar it won't be long. I don't think a blender can do that.

Also it has been proven that some vitamins become more available in certain fruits and veggies after cooking, so lets not even go there...

While some vitamins are lost and damaged. Science "proves" things and then often proves the opposite. You should know that nutrition and dietetic is not exact pure science like maths.

Fallen Horse, you say something and then you don't want people to reply as if you want the last word .

"But I don't really want to keep debating " and then in the other post : "so let's not even go there".

Also it has been proven that some vitamins become more available in certain fruits and veggies after cooking, so lets not even go there...
I guess you're talking about licopene in tomato sauce. What makes you think that there is not enough in raw tomato, the way nature made it ? This is the time we're living in, all kinds of supplements, adding stuff in everything, or removing everything to end up with isolated protein and they say its better than the whole food, because "whole, raw food is deficient, we need to eat supplements, vitamin pills.... Adding billions of "live probiotic bacterias" in yogurt and dairy and people buy it, but now there are studies saying those bacterias make people fat because its the same given to farm animals to activate growth. Orange juice and peanut butter with added sardine oil "omega 3", and what else...

Are you a raw foodist? I keep hearing from all these raw foodists who say they feel amazing, but a lot of the time when I see their pics they look tired and kind of soft. I'm NOT saying this is how all the raw foodists look but I seem to be seeing more and more of that, which is why I was wondering if it was actually the "right" choice for me. I'm Your Man, from your profile pic you look fairly healthy so I was wondering what your take was!