Big, Buff and Vegan...article in Canadian National Paper

robert

I LIKED THE WHOLE TEXT EXCEPT THE END. WHY THERE ALWAYS HAS TO BE SOME CLEVER NUTRITIONIST WHO HAS THE LAST WORD: Vegans, particularly high-performance athletes, can be at risk of certain nutrient deficiencies if they aren’t careful, including low levels of iron, B-12 and zinc, she says. She also warns that some people may not perform well on a vegan diet, depending on their body type, genetics and activity level. “Definitely, definitely, it can be beneficial if it’s used properly and for the right person,” she says. But “is it for everyone? No, nothing is for everyone.”

THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE. Iron deficiency is possible if you are a vegan and eat only potato chips. But we al know that if you eat your greens, beans and lentils daily, then you are safe. I'm specially mad about this subject because my father, who spent last 20 years eating excess meat (he ate only meat, bread and some basic salads) has been found to be DEFICIENT in iron and scheduled for heart surgery in two weeks! And my last blood test, after 5 years of 99% plant-based diet showed the very high levels of iron, and all the other levels just perfect. And they say you have to eat meat for iron! That is a lie. You have to have healthy gut flora to be able to absorb iron, that is true.

It is also not confirmed that vegans are more in danger for B 12 deficiency.

It is also not rue tha vegan diet is not for everyone. All animals of one species eat the same food. I hate when people talk bullshit and say that they eat according to their blood group, etc. All humans are the same and thrive on the same diet - vegan.

Yeah, great article except for the ending bit. Almost all mainstream articles about veganism, even really positive ones like this one, tend to make some little caveats to discourage others from making a positive change. We are certainly at greater risk for a lack of b-12, but to say being vegan isn't for everyone is ridiculous. Unless you're allergic to a ton of plant foods, you can thrive as a vegan.

Yeah, great article except for the ending bit. Almost all mainstream articles about veganism, even really positive ones like this one, tend to make some little caveats to discourage others from making a positive change.

No, they put those caveats in to give themselves excuses for not changing their behavior.