OVERTRAINED ... is this how it looks like?

vege

I posted about this issue in my training journal too, but I want to reach more people and get more responses to figure out what's happening with me.

it's 5 o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep no more. I fell asleep at 1 AM and woke upa at 5 AM. I don't feel well lately at all. My whole body is in stress because of this lifting.

PHISICALY: apart from that I have injured myself last time in the gym, I constantly feel my muscles are "working", squeezing, and trembling, tickling... I don't know the right word: they are not sore, I just constantly feel them working and it makes me exhausted at first, and then when I fall asleep (i don't have problem with that part), I wake up after 4 to 5 hours of sleep. I always used to get up early in the morning, but this is too much! My muscles are working and I can't sleep. I'm not relaxed at all. I tried to go to gym 3 times, instead of 4 times, and stay 1 hour instead of 2 hours, but things are pretty much the same.

PSIHOLOGICALY: I feel no peace, I just think about my exercises and food: have I exercised ennough, have I eaten enough? Can you go crazy from BB? I feel constant uneasiness in the middle of my chest. I want so much so fast... and i definitely miss yoga. But I have no time for that now. It was very relaxing to do yoga and then go home and sleep. I will either have to start yoga again or start smoking pot in order to calm down and sleep at least 7-8 hours at night.

HAs something similar happened to anyone when they started intensive weight training?

Thank you.

PS: AFTER TWO HOURS AFTER GETTING UP

maybe it's also important to say that when I wake up that early, I'm feeling strange: I know that I am tired, but on the other hand I have big urge to exercise. Now after 2 hours I did all my housework, vacuum cleaning, laundry, etc. I'm like on cocaine. and I know that in few hours I'll be dead tired, unable to lead normal life.

Sorry to hear about your state that your in, I've been in similar situtations.

A couple of questions:

What is your nutrition like? Whats a sample of your day?

Are there any other stressors in your life? Relationships, work, family?

If your stressing out about getting in shape, don't rush it. Training/working out is a journey. What I mean is, your going to have ups and downs, change routines, take different paths and when you get one goal you'll have another. You said previously that you missed yoga. I would do it for a while till things settle down for you. Best of luck to you

As you said, yoga might help you, but sometimes yoga liberates energy and hormornes so for some people it is not a good idea to do yoga before sleep, but earlier in the day. You can also try meditation before sleep, to have a clear and peaceful mind. You're in a state that your mind and body want more and more, they are overstimulated. Maybe you are a Pitta type but right now you have a Vata unbalance, which main symptoms are insomnia and anxiety. The society is Vata unbalanced, people always want to work more, spend more, run everywhere... Try to take back control of your life by doing your activities with a zen attitude and try to finish earlier in the evening, or even if possible do physical activity in the morning... So in the evening you can just relax and be ready to sleep.

Sorry to hear about your state that your in, I've been in similar situtations.

A couple of questions:

What is your nutrition like? Whats a sample of your day?

Are there any other stressors in your life? Relationships, work, family?

If your stressing out about getting in shape, don't rush it. Training/working out is a journey. What I mean is, your going to have ups and downs, change routines, take different paths and when you get one goal you'll have another. You said previously that you missed yoga. I would do it for a while till things settle down for you. Best of luck to you

Thanx, man

My nutrition is perfect, really, I'm what they call "health food freak": nothing processed just whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds. I usually have no stress (artist), work at home, no problem with that. It's all my mind's fault. I want things fast! But now, since I've learned a lesson, I will take it easy: only 2 days a week in gym and adequate weights.

I'm not qualified to give any medical advise, but let me say that you look great. Your muscular back scares me a bit LOL. I hope to look like that one day.

What I mean is, like mtguy1976 said, don't rush it.

Good luck!

no need to be scared, it's just a good angle, I'm actually skinny, not that muscular as on that "lucky" photo, but I hope to meet that goal some day

As you said, yoga might help you, but sometimes yoga liberates energy and hormornes so for some people it is not a good idea to do yoga before sleep, but earlier in the day. You can also try meditation before sleep, to have a clear and peaceful mind. You're in a state that your mind and body want more and more, they are overstimulated. Maybe you are a Pitta type but right now you have a Vata unbalance, which main symptoms are insomnia and anxiety. The society is Vata unbalanced, people always want to work more, spend more, run everywhere... Try to take back control of your life by doing your activities with a zen attitude and try to finish earlier in the evening, or even if possible do physical activity in the morning... So in the evening you can just relax and be ready to sleep.

I never figured out what kind of type I am. I seem to have characteristics of all types

About yoga: we always do yoga nidra after asanas on yoga classes, and after that I'm more than ready to sleep I'm definitely going to "cheat" on gym with my yoga classes soon

Thanx for answering!

I never figured out what kind of type I am. I seem to have characteristics of all types

About yoga: we always do yoga nidra after asanas on yoga classes, and after that I'm more than ready to sleep I'm definitely going to "cheat" on gym with my yoga classes soon

Thanx for answering!

I had been through a bout of 2 months of Insomnia.. so 2 years later now.. I am a qualified Yoga, Pranayam & Meditation teacher.. Lol!

What you describe is

- Excess Vata (mental thoughts / anxiety),

- Excess Rajas (physical restlessness & fidgetiness)..

Some points..

Yoga was helping you neutralize some of that mental Vata & physical Rajas..

Do you do any kind of slow stretching / relaxation / cool down at the end of your workouts?

If you dont have time for extended yoga class, maybe doing some short set of asanas / stretches with deep long breathing (pranayam) would help. Follow it up by a short yoga nidra (you can do it yourself cant u?)

Ideally yoga should be done in the early hour or prior to sunset/ dinner, but some of the above helps. More than anything some Pranayam should definitely help with the THOUGHTS

PS: Careful if you're also eating something STIMULATING after that evening workout.

It's all my mind's fault. I want things fast!

Try this out...at a local center..

Thanx for answering!

I had been through a bout of 2 months of Insomnia.. so 2 years later now.. I am a qualified Yoga, Pranayam & Meditation teacher.. Lol!

What you describe is

- Excess Vata (mental thoughts / anxiety),

- Excess Rajas (physical restlessness & fidgetiness)..

Some points..

Yoga was helping you neutralize some of that mental Vata & physical Rajas..

Do you do any kind of slow stretching / relaxation / cool down at the end of your workouts?

If you dont have time for extended yoga class, maybe doing some short set of asanas / stretches with deep long breathing (pranayam) would help. Follow it up by a short yoga nidra (you can do it yourself cant u?)

Ideally yoga should be done in the early hour or prior to sunset/ dinner, but some of the above helps. More than anything some Pranayam should definitely help with the THOUGHTS

PS: Careful if you're also eating something STIMULATING after that evening workout.

It's all my mind's fault. I want things fast!

Try this out...at a local center..

Thank you, you're right about everything you said. I'll go back to yoga asap! I also get in situations where I get angry, and yoga helped me with that too, to be more calm and easygoing. I was actually supposed to take yoga teacher course this autumn but I have no money to pay. It's 600 EUR, around $ 800, and you get International Yoga Alliance certificate, after 6 months of training.... Maybe next time

BTW, I fell better now. I go to gym 2 times a week, not more than 45 minutes. And I'm already 3 days on 80/10/10 diet. Just fruits

Wow, its not expensive for yoga tacheras training ! Hère in North America its much more expensive, about 2500$. I would want to go take the course in Europe then, but I would lose money because of currency change $ to Euro... Living in Europe is much better. Better laws for food, environment, easier and cheaper to travel in Europe (just take car or train... In America its huge, need airplane or much longer in car) and you get more money if you change Euro to $ if travel here.

Thank you, you're right about everything you said. I'll go back to yoga asap! I also get in situations where I get angry, and yoga helped me with that too, to be more calm and easygoing. I was actually supposed to take yoga teacher course this autumn but I have no money to pay. It's 600 EUR, around $ 800, and you get International Yoga Alliance certificate, after 6 months of training.... Maybe next time

BTW, I fell better now. I go to gym 2 times a week, not more than 45 minutes. And I'm already 3 days on 80/10/10 diet. Just fruits

You dont have to be a teacher to do 2-3-5 minutes of relaxing yoga/ stretch with slow breathing. Add it after your workout.. thats what I do as a cooldown.

The Raw diet increases Vata and you need to ground that energy. Raw is not good for all body types & mental states. Like any other FAD diet... extreme raw is not the best.

http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks:1&tbo=1&q=ayurveda+raw&btnG=Search+Books

http://www.artoflivingindia.in/support_divineshop.asp - There are Eu/US/UK shops ..check out the Padmasadhna yoga sequence.

4) Recover Faster

To determine whether you're pushing too hard, begin measuring your heart rate upon waking. When your reading is three to five beats above normal, your ability to recover is compromised, says Bill Hartman, P.T., C.S.C.S. Downshift your training -- and try to sleep more -- until your heart rate returns to normal.

Page 3 of http://www.menshealth.com/celebrity-fitness/gerard-butler-300-workout

Baby Herc

thak you gyus, I already feel great. I found my formula: not more then 2 times per week, only 45 minutes long intensive workout. And I also go to bed earlier, so I sleep a little longer.

CRASHBURN, I know I dont have to be yoga teacher to practice yoga I was just thinking about taking that teacher course this autumn, because I already missed it 3 times, and it is only once in year. I was suggested to try this course by my yoga teacher since I am very flexible and execute asanas correctly. But I think I will skip this time, too. I will certainly go to regular yoga classes asap, I just have to finish some things. I think from the middle October. I am really looking forward to it.

BABY HERCULES, one stupid question: how do you measure your heart rate?