Meal plan help for female figure comp prep

Hi all,

I'm trying to modify my diet and meal plan to be as clean as possible to shed fat. I also have several dietary restrictions on top of wanting to do this as a veg. I'm allergic to dairy and eggs and also cannot tolerate soy as it triggers severe asthma. I want to stick with majority clean, whole foods with vegan protein supplementation as my primary fuel sources and would like to stay away from as much processed vegan substitute foods as I can.

Here is a sample meal plan I plugged into fitday.com trying to see what the pro/carb/fat ratios looked like:

Meal 1 - Smoothie

2 scoops Sun Warrior protein powder

1 banana

1 Tbsp coconut flakes or coconut oil

1 Tbsp chia seeds

2 cups spinach

Meal 2

1 scoop Vega protein w/H2O

Meal 3

2 cups spinach

2 cups romaine

1/2 bell pepper

1/2 cucumber

1/4 tomato

1/4 avocado

1 morningstar farms vegan griller patty

Meal 4 pre-workout

Apple or Orange

1/4 cup hummus

1 cup baby carrots

Meal 5 during workout

1/2 svg Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer

Meal 6 post-workout

1/2 svg Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer

Meal 7 (before 7pm)

2 cups raw (spinach, kale) greens OR 2 cups cooked broccoli/asparagus

1/2 cup lentils OR black beans

1/4 avocado

Per fitday.com this totals the following nutrient breakdown:

Cals 1363

Fat (g) 51.5g 34%

Carbs (g) 135.3g 40%

Prot (g) 109.3 32%

I'm 5'3" 155lbs, approx 28% bodyfat. I lift 5 days per week, 1 hour each session, 15 min cardio warm up prior and do 20-30 minutes additional cardio 2-3 days per week. Working toward a goal of competing in March/April 2011.

Appreciate any comments/critiques of the meal plan I've outlined or if you have any suggestions for tweaking.

Thanks!!

xo

Carrie

• 2 months later...

I think in order for you to lose body fat you should up the cardio.. usually around 5x a week..it depends on the person though. Also for fitness a good ratio of carbs/protein/ fat would be 40/30/30, there is a good basic meal plan for fitness in the nutrition area of this site!

Your diet already looks pretty clean to me, but fats need to be down, and I would recommend maybe some flax oil either in a smoothie or as a dressing in a salad, for a good source of Omega-3. I'm not an expert though haha but I hope this helps .

I think you are relying on a lot of protein supplements. Might want to start looking for other sources. The foods are all clean so that is not too much of an issue. Also I like your food schedule. Great job.

You are looking at an April show. Let's call it 20 weeks out. At 28% body fat you want to lose about 1% point per week. That is doable at your weight. Know some weeks more loss and some less. Athletes, especially you ladies get mad when they don't see the scale numbers dropping. I trained a woman once who lost more than fifty percent of her bodyfst, but was mad because the scale numbers went up. She went on to do very well in her first bodybuilding competition. The moral of he story is the number that matters is not weight, but percentages. Once you drop below about 15% that will start to matter less, and eventually it is really a mirror test. How good does your physique look becomes the whole battle.

You don't say how much water you are drinking. I recommend a gallon per day.

As to how much card you need I recommend getting a map test done. This will tell you how much fat you burn vice carbs when doing cardio. If you can't get a test where you live, then look at how much of a deficit you are creating between your maintenance calories and your burn. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you in your competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like your calories are too low to me too. Also, check out kettlebells-massive fat loss in a fraction of the time with free wts and cardio, also amazing core strengthening-no ab moves required to get that six pack with clean eating. You could cross train with kettlebells a couple of times a week if you are bodybuilding:)

I myself am a former fitness competitor who is also allergic to soy. I did rice protein sometimes but stayed primarily raw, so I did some seeds. Your calorie consumption seems a little low; did you do a calorie calculator? You fat consumption looks a little high, you are at the higher end of the spectrum and should drop it down no lower than 20%.

The 40/30/30 is ok but not great. How far out from the comp are you?