Fat vegetarian looking to make some BIG changes.

Jen

Hello everyone! I'm so relieved to have discovered this website and forum. I am a long time vegetarian with preference for vegan foods, trying to convert completely. I also need to start training. I am in the fattest, most miserable shape of my life, and I can't put this off any longer. I have no support (in fact a lot of negativity around my whole lifestyle) where I am living currently, but I do have a friend with a weight set in her basement who has expressed an interest not only in being workout buddies, but also in cutting back her own consumption of meat. So I guess that's one very good thing in my favor. I have a long way to go, with some short-term goals along the way, so any help I find here will be most appreciated!

Hi Jen;

One of the most useful things you can do at this point for weight loss and making veganism work is to learn the very small amount of nutrition you need to know. There is a lot of BS that goes around with vegan nutrition. Some of it from AR orgs, some of it from vegans and even some of it can be found on vegan web boards. Here is a SHORT post about where to find reliable vegan nutrition information from professionals with formal credentials:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?page_id=462

I lost about 48 pounds several years ago with a vegan diet. Here is an old blog post of mine detailing how I did it. It may not be for you, but it can give you some ideas:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?p=255

Good Luck

Jen;

Many people try to lose weight and fail. Many people also succeed, but gain the weight back. It is very possible to lose the weight and keep it off. Google on "The National Weight Control Registry". That group tracks people who have lost large amounts of weight and who have kept it off for at least a year. A good start would be to see what those people did.

• 1 month later...