Nutrition for FAST results?

Jen

I have 50+ lbs of fat to lose ASAP before I can even begin to dream of body building. I know that this isn't going to happen overnight (which seems unfair, considering the last 20 lbs seriously did pile on pretty much overnight) but I want to find the absolute best foods I can eat to be healthy and happy and not always hungry so that I will see the fastest results possible. I keep a bowl of fruit such as plums and apples in my mini fridge along with bottles of water to try to encourage the healthiest snacking possible, and I love foods like brown rice and lentils, but I know I need to make some improvements. I definitely don't eat enough greens. For a while I was doing well with green smoothies, but not having my own kitchen right now makes those almost an impossibility. I also tend to be overwhelmed by recipes with more than 4 or 5 ingredients. For lentils I dump some into my rice cooker with some vegetable broth and spices and set it on 2 hour slow cook. I love asparagus sautéed in a bit of olive oil then sprinkled with salt and pepper. Raw carrots, apples, plums, bananas, etc. are all favorites. You get the idea... My favorite green foods are edamame and peas... both great, but not the cruciferous veggies I need to be eating in quantity!

My first short term goal is to make at least a little progress in time for my friend's wedding in just under 3 weeks. Nothing miraculous, maybe just a dress size. Miracles are certainly welcome, though! And to be able to fit into something cute for Halloween the next week is an added bonus. After that is Thanksgiving, when family and friends will start to come to town to visit. Then Christmas, and so on... Taking it a month at a time, with a short term goal every month or so, seems like a good way to do it.

Has anyone been through this? Do you have any advice to help me get started and keep going?

(Oh and that Target commercial for mild cheddar cheese? I could have been that kid. Despise broccoli with every fiber of my being, so please don't recommend it! )

[ Suryanamaskars ] (Do this single exercise sequence slowly.. and you're off to a great start... No gym, no nothing.. just you... Try 5 rounds TODAY.. and then see how you feel..), Yoga & Ayurvedic advise from a proper practitioner..

I lost 4 inches on my jeans in 3 weeks.

There's no kinds of excess weight..

- One that will take you time to lose

- the OTHER - Is toxic junk that your body is holding on to...

To clear that out you need to invoke the Internal System Balancing mechanisms of the body.. through yoga & ayurveda.

Most people do not know or are not aware of how much Yoga works on INTERNAL ORGANS, and not just the external aesthetic. Which is why tons of people follow it once they realize the benefits and are now rebranding it as they want to sell it.

Hi Jen;

I have 50+ lbs of fat to lose ASAP before I can even begin to dream of body building.

Experts have observed that the faster a person loses weight, the more likely s/he will gain all of the fat back.

Plus more weight, plus slowing their "metabolism" down so they get fatter off of LESS food and that they get flabby at their new weight ( called "skinny fat" ).

"Skinny Fat" means weighing the same as another person but having less lean tissue ( muscle, etc ) making up that body weight, giving a person a larger, flabbier, less shapely appearance.

To improve your chances of KEEPING the weight off AND being firm - not "skinny fat" at your new weight, experts recommend losing only 1 - 2 pounds a week.

I did this a few years ago to take off 48 lbs. Going that slow also made it comfortable. The only time I was hungry was about a half hour before meals.

You can read about what I did here:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?p=255

but I want to find the absolute best foods I can eat to be healthy and happy

There is a lot of bull shit in bookstores, AR organization literature, the web and vegan forums in regards to vegan nutrition. Here is a brief post as to where to find reliable vegan nutrition information from experts with relevant formal credentials:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?page_id=462

Good Luck

You can lose weight pretty quickly by fasting for the next three weeks

Then the fastest way to lose weight would be to drink protein drinks made of water and protein powders like hemp, or Vega, rice protein, etc... and to eat nothing or just vegetables, cooked or raw, and green salads, sprouts and young shoots, and you can drink thinks like wheat grass juice, chlorophyll, water with freshly pressed lemon juice... This will be a cleansing also, not just weight loss.

Other than that, you can do a diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, legumes, some grains, sprouts, some soups and sandwiches, protein shakes... Eat 3 meals per day with some fruits as snacks and eat the last meal not too late, if possible around 5:30 or earlier. Then if you really wanna eat more in the evening, just fruits or celery, cucumbers, etc. Breakfast can be fruits only, like bananas, oranges, apples, dates...

All good replies ...

I second the info. that I'm Your Man has posted. I feel that would be about the fastest way to drop the weight/cleansing at the same time, but it will be tough for you unless you are really committed to it & have a lot of willpower and/or a support group to work with.

An extreme change of diet like that will cause extreme changes & detoxing that will result in you not feeling the best for awhile, but it will be effective.

....Then the fastest way to lose weight would be to drink protein drinks made of water and protein powders like hemp, or Vega, rice protein, etc... and to eat nothing or just vegetables, cooked or raw, and green salads, sprouts and young shoots, and you can drink thinks like wheat grass juice, chlorophyll, water with freshly pressed lemon juice....

....I second the info. that I'm Your Man has posted. I feel that would be about the fastest way to drop the weight/cleansing at the same time, but it will be tough for you unless you are really committed to it & have a lot of willpower and/or a support group to work with....

Ya eating just protein and veggies would be the quickest way, but most people don't get to be overweight while being good at controlling their food intake. Your best bet is a slow weight loss and to be happy with the progress you have made by the time the wedding comes around.....

You can lose weight pretty quickly by fasting for the next three weeks

Then the fastest way to lose weight would be to drink protein drinks made of water and protein powders like hemp, or Vega, rice protein, etc... and to eat nothing or just vegetables, cooked or raw, and green salads, sprouts and young shoots, and you can drink thinks like wheat grass juice, chlorophyll, water with freshly pressed lemon juice... This will be a cleansing also, not just weight loss.

Other than that, you can do a diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, legumes, some grains, sprouts, some soups and sandwiches, protein shakes... Eat 3 meals per day with some fruits as snacks and eat the last meal not too late, if possible around 5:30 or earlier. Then if you really wanna eat more in the evening, just fruits or celery, cucumbers, etc. Breakfast can be fruits only, like bananas, oranges, apples, dates...

Good suggestion. Avoid foods that increase kapha...

Jen;

Many people try to lose weight and fail. Many people also succeed, but gain the weight back. It is very possible to lose the weight and keep it off. Google on "The National Weight Control Registry". That group tracks people who have lost large amounts of weight and who have kept it off for at least a year. A good start would be to see what those people did.

Jen, your nutrition sounds fine. Keep the fruit. What will help you is monstrous training. Tae bo, lot's of jogging, etc. Try to have a power workout and a cardio workout. You could even train 2 times a day. Determination is key!!!

If you go into monstrous working out, remember to eat fruit before and after the workouts. Try to eat as soon as possible after the workout so you can recover the glycogen and the muscles as a whole(eating fruit).