In another thread titled Is this real? someone posted dramatic before and after pictures from an advertisement for a product.

Forget airbrushing, we live in the age of photoshop where a photographer doesn't even have the limits of airbrushing on altering photographs.

Altering pictures to take weight off ( or put it on ), wrinkles away, etc is very easy now.

Check out these two video that show you just how dramatically easy it is to make a picture of anyone look great. The big quote is from Cindy Crawford who says she wishes that she could look as good in real life as she does in her pictures.

Nobody should feel like they fall short in their appearance if they don't look like someone in a magazine, because chances are even the model in the picture can't look like the picture

and...

i would like to look like my avatar pic! And I did no photoshopping at all. Photos lie sometimes, but they are good for motivation and inspiration. Who cares if we never reach that ideal goal? It's important not to get depressed, though!

Who cares if we never reach that ideal goal?

A lot of girls and now some boys think those pictures are real and that they are failures because they don't look good. That often leads to them developing eating disorders. So, it is a good thing to demonstrate to people that magazine pictures can often have little to do with reality.

Who cares if we never reach that ideal goal?

A lot of girls and now some boys think those pictures are real and that they are failures because they don't look good. That often leads to them developing eating disorders. So, it is a good thing to demonstrate to people that magazine pictures can often have little to do with reality.

I agree with that! I was speaking more of myself an how I feel about fake pictures. I actually had a debate with a friend (girl) who said that they should not accept to thin girls for model jobs as they do now, because it makes many young girls go anorexic. I think that is not the biggest problem. We had Twiggy and such models in 60's and there were not so many anorexic/bulimic girls. I think biggest problem is today's society that makes parents work all day and spend no time with their children, so children are easy "prey" for advertisers, fashion or food industry, etc. Moreover, kids today are not taught real values in life, they pay too much attention on material things in life. I don't know about America, but todays kids in Serbia don't know even how to write their own language correctly, but they know everything about Lady Gaga, new fashion trends, new Ipad, Iphone, etc. Sad, but true.

I think biggest problem is today's society that makes parents work all day and spend no time with their children, so children are easy "prey" for advertisers, fashion or food industry, etc.
I have to agree. I'm shocked how influential the kids' advertising is on TV. We're in the process of cancelling our cable and just doing OTA + Netflix.

(I say "process" because I do like to watch some shows and I'm trying to get a good antenna mounted.)

If you need a cluckle from all this photochopping, check out http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/

I think biggest problem is today's society that makes parents work all day and spend no time with their children, so children are easy "prey" for advertisers, fashion or food industry, etc.
I have to agree. I'm shocked how influential the kids' advertising is on TV. We're in the process of cancelling our cable and just doing OTA + Netflix.

(I say "process" because I do like to watch some shows and I'm trying to get a good antenna mounted.)

If you need a cluckle from all this photochopping, check out http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/

before you buy an antenna you might want to see what is on your cable line after you cancel it. I cancelled mine and recieve all the analog that they didnt change over to digital, plus over the air channels from my area. I didnt have to buy an antenna. I was suprised. Now I have an analog and digital tuner in my tv so you might only get the ova digital ones on your wire if you only have the digital tuner.

before you buy an antenna you might want to see what is on your cable line after you cancel it. I cancelled mine and recieve all the analog that they didnt change over to digital, plus over the air channels from my area. I didnt have to buy an antenna. I was suprised. Now I have an analog and digital tuner in my tv so you might only get the ova digital ones on your wire if you only have the digital tuner.
Yeah I've thought about that. I'm keeping my cable Internet, so I will still have the wire coming to the house, but I wouldn't want it to completely go out one day if they decided to come by and install a filter. Plus, my cable company is good at having contract disputes, currently FOX and MyNetworkTV (absolutely nothing good that's not syndicated on the latter) have been pulled from the lineup. ABC was briefly pulled a year or two ago.
Since I don't know what is missing and not going to be ignorant by pretending I know. So...what is missing?
Who knows? My (poorly expressed) point is that I don't think anyone knows the whole picture, but every group thinking they're right and others are wrong only compounds the problem.
Since I don't know what is missing and not going to be ignorant by pretending I know. So...what is missing?
Who knows? My (poorly expressed) point is that I don't think anyone knows the whole picture, but every group thinking they're right and others are wrong only compounds the problem.

Agreed. I think we all forget this far too often when new debates pop up. I mean, of course everyone has to have opinions, and some are more founded in logic than others, but there is rarely a debate with a black and white answer. As for human nutrition, I imagine a diet of mostly fruits and veggies is optimal, but everything else is gray area...

Just to ensure this keeps going off topic even further....

He is very close to the point. High-fat is not part of any species diet.

Except carnivorous creatures who feast on large portions of meat and organs as the staple of their diet. There's no fat-free antelope carcass out there or anything like that, of course So, there ARE some species that do consume a fair deal of fat, and fat is not necessarily the primary evil in modern diets. I'm not saying that 70% fat is anything a person should strive for, but if you consume a higher fat diet, it's not going to lead to your inevitable physical downfall.

The answer is simple. What we should be eating and where we should be living. Living far away from the equator butt naked in nature will cause death in the winter months by "Hypothermia". What we should be eating is anything that grows on the equator that makes us salivate.

I come from cold-weather stock and would probably last about three days in a sweltering climate. It's simply not natural for me. However, I know plenty of people who suffer in the cold at temperatures where I feel quite comfortable. And, some equatorial foods are not that tempting to me, so that's why I don't buy into the whole "eat based on where so-and-so says we should be living" thing any more than I buy into the "eat right for your blood type" ideals. It's a pigeonhole that lacks in accounting for individual differences/preferences and is, in my honest opinion, more of a marketing gimmick than something based solely on fact.

I should know this because I remember getting gag reflex as a child from trying to eat meat, broccoli and other vegetables.

Perhaps it had to do more with your personal preference and the fact that as individuals, we all have different tastes. I actually quite like broccoli myself, though I did not years ago. I think rather differently - I did not originally like it because I was told by society that vegetables were "yucky" and "gross", but when I tried them years later (prepared well, I must add), I found out that many things I thought I did not like would actually become some of my favorite foods. That right there has a lot of debunking over the notions that foods not indigenous to living near the equator are not what we naturally seek, but then again, I'll eat a bag of sugar if I'm desperate enough, so why bother listening to me?