Muscles here I come! Lobsteriffic's Log

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read this, how did you cut your EHL tendon? Was it from running? I hope you heal up soon. I'm happy to hear you are getting better.

Are you able to do any upper body lifting?

It must be so hard to not be able to run. My right leg has been hurting for the past two weeks and I've barely run and the lack of running is really getting to me.

It was a freak accident - I was cleaning my food processor and I wasn't careful - the blade fell and landed right on my foot and sliced my EHL tendon where the big toe meets the foot. Such a little thing, but the recovery process is SO SLOW.

I can do upper body lifting, the only pain in the butt is actually getting to the gym. There is a small "gym" in my apartment complex with some dumbbells...for the longest time I couldn't get that far on my crutches but I am now walking around with a cane and an aircast so I think I will see if I can make it that far next week. I am desperate to do SOMETHING. I've been working at home for the past 2 months and hardly moving at all.

Trying to keep my chin up. A lot worse things can happen to a person so I don't want to feel too sorry for myself. My surgeon thinks I will eventually be alright, I just need to take things slow and keep up my physical therapy.

Hope your leg is feeling better soon kckas! It sucks when we can't do the things we want to do!

Thanks Adena!

I went into the office two days this week (I've been working from home) and the walk from the bus stop has me EXHAUSTED. It's like a 10 minute walk (normally a 2 minute walk, but I'm slow now). I know my endurance will come back, but geez!

Still going to physio. Trying to get my leg strength back up, the muscle atrophied a lot while I was non-weight baring. I go to the doc on Tues so we will see how much longer I have to wear the aircast. It is really tough to walk without it.

Onwards and upwards! I'm mostly just chronicling my recovery, please don't think I'm whining. I fully realize people have to deal with a LOT worse things in life than a bummed foot.

Wowza. Took the bus to the grocery store on Saturday for the first time since surgery (almost 10 weeks ago). By the time I got back I was so tired I needed a nap and it had felt like I ran 15 miles or some such thing.

I'm kind of fed up with how much weight I've gained since surgery. It's hard not being able to move and sitting around the house all day. My scale weight hasn't changed that much, but I've lost a LOT of muscle. I see the surgeon on Tuesday so I will find out what kind of cardio I am cleared for at that point. I am hoping he'll tell me when I can get rid of my aircast/walking boot.

It was a freak accident - I was cleaning my food processor and I wasn't careful - the blade fell and landed right on my foot and sliced my EHL tendon where the big toe meets the foot
Jesus christ!

Keep your chin up! Important to stay positive during injury, just remember it's temporary.

Ordered a vegan cupcake book and thought of you.

Thanks Chewy! I wish you many delicious cupcakes in your future.

Saw the surgeon today for a follow-up. He prescribed 4 more weeks of physical therapy and he said no running for 3 months.

But he did say I could start using the elliptical, so that's something. I'd prefer to do my cardio outside, but I'll take what I can get.

I ordered some orthopedic shoes and I can start working with my physical therapist to get out of this aircast/walking boot over the next little bit.

You're right! The first time was today.

Right after I got the okay for the elliptical I came down with an ear infection! I still can't hear very well out of one ear, but the pain is under control and I'm on antibiotics.

Anyhoo, made it the gym in my apartment complex. Took it easy since I haven't had a real workout in 2.5 months. 20 min elliptical and then 25 min. of various upper body stuff. Lower body stuff is still tricky in my aircast. Kept the weights fairly light...I want to ease back into things.

It's kind of ridiculous how much muscle mass/cardiovascular fitness I've lost, but I'll eventually get back to where I was.

• 2 weeks later...
It's kind of ridiculous how much muscle mass/cardiovascular fitness I've lost, but I'll eventually get back to where I was.

Muscle memory is an amazing thing! A few years ago I had to take 3 months off after a scooter accident. I was fine but had a sore on my foot which got infected so I couldn't wear enclosed shoes! Took forever to heal. Anyway after I finally got back on the bike (I end up cutting a large piece out of my cycling shoe I got so frustrated), 8 weeks later I rode a 160km community ride. Your body bounces back fast, especially it's endurance capabilities.

Lessons learnt... wear appropriate shoes (not flip-flops) whilst scootering and cleaning sharp kitchen equipment it seems!

• 1 month later...