Recovery time

Rob PMFF

I need some advice on recovery time after workouts. In particular, reducing it. I've been doing Cross Fit for about a month now, and I'm having the same issues with recovery time as I did when I was doing conventional weight training. Specifically my quads seem to take forever to adequately recover. Any advice would be appreciated. Specific advice though, please. Not just "stretching". Thanks!

does your box have a foam roller? It most likely does. i would use it on your quads (and anything else) everytime you are there. If it doesn't you can always you a rolling pin at home although it isn't as good but better than nothing. or roll a golf ball or lacrosse ball into them. But your bodyweight into it! It goes to hurt but it breaks up all the adhesions. You could also trying icing them down after a workout or letting cold water hit them in the shower. And I know you don't want to hear it but stretch them!

If you don't adapt in due time, then it may well be ideal to put an extra day or two between those leg workouts. Foam rolling can help to some degree (I know it does for me), it will definitely help loosen things up, but if you're not fully recovered, then adding more time between quad-dominant sessions is all you can do to make things better. Not much more to it than that - there's a point where your body will continue to warn you by remaining continually sore without increasing adaptation to a faster recovery, which is sometimes the sign that it's either slow down or increase chances for injury.

chewy - excellent point!

sleeping is also really important too.

rob- ve is right. if you stretch, roll, ice, eat and sleep well then there isn't really anything else you can do. it takes your body as long as it takes to recover. if it really is just your quads you can always go do some skill work like handstands or work on pullups or something. I think it is just the nature of the athlete to want to always recover faster but it is what it is.

Thanks guys. We do have a foam roller at ours, and I have used it a few times. Maybe (like today) I'll start using proactively, like just after the wod, instead of a few days later when it hurts like hell. Sleep is something I really have no control over, what with being at the firehouse 10 nights per month. That's just something I have to take a loss on. It could be not eating enough, but I really do eat all that I can stand. And I'm pretty selective about the quality of it all. Thanks for the advice.

I like to use it when warming up too. could be how your eating too instead of just what? You really should try to eat within and hour of working out and you should be eating 5 -6 times a day. Ideally your supposed to get something into you body within 15 minutes of training but this is not completely realistic.

Thanks. It's not that I have anything against stretching, its just that it's the most obvious response to the question. I already do a good amount of it anyway, but I'll check these out. We actually did mobility wod today, it was running, double unders, and rowing. They called it mobility wods anyway. And they had 2 pictures, one of an old man squatting, and one of an old man in an electric wheelchair, with the question, which one do you want to be