'U can't be helped, it can't be done', I think they're wrong

Slate

Hello Everyone,

I have been vegetarian since I was 5, currently I do not consume any meat products but have cheese/eggs 1 to 4 times a month.

I am here (and happy to have found this site) because I am frustrated and lost. I am hoping to work towards entering a figure competition and have been told by both trainers I contacted that this can not be accomplished unless I am willing to eat meat, they even rufesed to help me build a training plan as it is pointless if I am planning on sabotaging it with a 'protein deficient diet'. According to the people I have been in touch with any protein source that comes as a secondary macro nutrient to carbs isn't true protein.... this even came from a registered dietician! Can you believe it? I know that this goal can be accomplished on a veg diet, I just need help getting there. I ordered Robert's book and can't wait to receive it.

I would love to find someone qualified to work with me as an 'online coach/trainer'. Someone to help create meal plans and create and change up workout programs for me as I progress. I am new to this type of dedicated program and need guidance, please let me know if you (or someone you know) provides this service and is willing to help me work towards this goal in a compasionate way, with a compasionate diet.

Thank-you! I look forward to any information or assistance that can be provided!

Thnk-you MaryStella, I would love all the help I can get.

I just finished my foundations course at the local Cross Fit here a couple months ago and then suffered a couple injuries that have kept me home. The few I did attend before hand were shockingly hard! I haven't worked out like that in years. Honestly it was very humbling for me. I have 'let myself go' over the lst few years and although I am not overweight I am extremly out of shape and was blown away, there is a lady that attends who is in her 50's.... she lapped me twice with a 40lb sandbag on her back! The hardest thing for me is anything 'with the work clean', clean and jerk, med ball cleans.... its so frustrating.

I suffered a severe low back sprain @ work and will finally be back to work next week, being a cross-fitter, do you think I am safe to return to class? The coaches here are great and I am hopeful that the WOD can be modified,but I am so nervous about re-injuring my back (this is 2nd time in 2 months) and can see myself being too scared to join into much.

What type of diet do you typically eat? I like to think mine is pretty well balanced but I know there is always room for improvement and lately I have been very tired and run down (even before the injury).

Thanks for your help MaryStella!

• 4 weeks later...
I am hoping to work towards entering a figure competition and have been told by both trainers I contacted that this can not be accomplished unless I am willing to eat meat, they even rufesed to help me build a training plan as it is pointless if I am planning on sabotaging it with a 'protein deficient diet'. According to the people I have been in touch with any protein source that comes as a secondary macro nutrient to carbs isn't true protein....

ahahaha, obviously those "trainers" and "dieteticians" don't know shit, there has been and still are many vegetarian bodybuilders. Bill Pearl (Mr.Universe 1971), Roy Hilligen, Andreas Cahling, Ben France, etc, athletes like Brendan Brazier... on this forum website there is Jimi Sitko, Robert Cheeke, etc...

Some vegetarian/vegan athletes http://www.veggie.org

* Hank Aaron (home run champion, baseball) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

* B J Armstrong (US Basketball star)

* Al Beckles (body builder)

* Sorya Bonali (ice skater)

* Les Brown (veteran runner)

* Peter Burwash (tennis)

* Andreas Cahling (bodybuilder)

* Chris Campbell (1980 world champion wrestler)

* Joanna Conway (ice skater)

* Sylvia Cranston (triathlete)

* Sally Eastall (Marathon runner - UK No 2, vegan)

* Di Edwards (runner, Olympic semi-finalist)

* Katie Fitzgibbon (marathon runner)

* Clare Francis (sailer)

* Louis Freitas (body builder)

* Carol Gould (marathon runner)

* Estelle Gray (cyclist) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

* Sammy Green (runner)

* Ruth Heidrich (3-time Ironman finisher, marathoner, age-group record holder, Pres. Vegetarian Society of Honolulu) (vegan) Source: personal acquaintance, also...her book--A Race for Life

* Sally Hibberd (British Women's Mountain Bike Champion)

* Sharon Hounsell (Miss Wales Bodybuilding Champion)

* Desmond Howard (formerly w/Washington Redskins, now w/Jacksonville Jaguars) Source: PETA

* Roger Hughes (Welsh National Ski Champion)

* David Johnson (BAA coach)

* Kathy Johnson (Olympic Gymnast)

* Alan Jones (British ski jumper)

* Billie Jean King (tennis champion) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

* Killer Kowalski (wrestler) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

* Jack LaLanne (Fitness guru) (vegan)

* Donnie LaLonde (Former Light Heavyweight Champion of the World. (Lost title to Sugar Ray Leonard)) Source: Article in San Jose Mercury News

* Tony LaRussa (Manager of St. Louis Cardinals - US team) Source: PETA, Animals Agenda, Animals Voice, Veg Times, others

* Silken Laumann (Olympic rower) Source: Cooking Television Show

* Judy Leden (British, European & World Hang Gliding champion)

* Marv Levey (Buffalo Bills Coach)

* Jutta Müller (multiple Windsurfing World Cup Champion) Source: Flutlicht 95/6/18 on Südwest 3 (German TV program)

* Jack Maitland (triathlete and fell runner)

* Cheryl Marek (cyclist) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

* Leslie Marx (fencer;1996 woman's epee national champion)

* Kirsty McDermott (runner)

* Lindford McFarquar (body builder)

* Robert Millar (cyclist)

* Katherine Monbiot (world champion arm wrestler & nutritionist) (vegan) Source: Vegan Society UK

* Monika Montsho (weightlifter, 2 x runnerup GB Championships 60kg, NW woman weightlifter 1991)

* Edwin Moses

* Martina Navratilova (Retired Tennis Champion) Source: Magazine Interviews/Genesis Awards

* Julie Ann Niewiek (Basketball commentator) Source: Grand Rapids press/ Image Magazine

* Paavo Nurmi

* Robert Parish (Center - Warriors, Celtics, Hornets, Bulls) Source: Hearsay

* Bill Pearl (Bodybuilder, Mr America) Source: Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl, pg 399

* Bill Pearl (Mr. Universe and bodybuilder) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

* Anthony Peeler (NBA Grizzlies basketball player) Source: NBA web site profiles

* Sopata, Craig (well known golfer in the New York TRI state area. and also a semi-pro skateboarder. He went to Purdue University).

* Dave Scott (5-time winner of the Ironman Triathlon) (vegan) "The New Laurel's Kitchen" cookbook

* Debbie Spaeth-Herring (Georgia State power-lifter) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

* Jonathon Speelman (chess)

* Lucy Stephens (triathlete - vegan)

* Jacques Vaughn (All American point guard, #1-ranked Univ of KS Jayhawks) Source: Lawrence (KS) Journal World (numerous editions)

* Kirsty Wade (runner)

* Bill Walton (basketball player) Source: A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian