vitamin d supplementing yet?

endcruelty

• 4 weeks later...

I have been hearing more and more about the importance of Vit. D. Considering we manufacture it from sun exposure, it seems to be an important contributor to health. I just started taking D3, bought at Costco. Can't hurt....Dr. Fuhrman highly recommends it for endocrine and metabolic balance...as well as its other benefits to immune function.

I have been hearing more and more about the importance of Vit. D. Considering we manufacture it from sun exposure, it seems to be an important contributor to health. I just started taking D3, bought at Costco. Can't hurt....Dr. Fuhrman highly recommends it for endocrine and metabolic balance...as well as its other benefits to immune function.

FYI D3 is animal based, at least that's my understanding.

Mushrooms are the only vegan source of vitamin D aside from UV exposure. I eat a lot of these now anyway, and I'll be phasing out all my animal sourced vitamins as I use them up. Looks like tanning maybe once a week and even MORE mushrooms will be key.

• 3 weeks later...

Cholecalciferol (D3) is almost always animal-based though I have found and purchased "vegetarian-D3" which is sourced from bacteria. I'm still skeptical. Daily I take 2000 IU of Ergocalciferol (D2) though clinical trials have arguably found a decrease ability to raise a biomarker of 25-hydroxyvitamin D with supplementation of D2. This can be argued to be a decreased ability of assays to test for a 25-OH D2 (ergocalciferol). It should be noted that Vitamin D deficiency is treated with D2 not D3.

In my opinion just take it. (D2).

You can find 90 pills of 2000 IU for <$8, while Synthetic Vegetarian D3 is much more expensive.

From my recent clinical experience, almost everyone tested for D3 (it's not a routine test) was deficient. They were then treated with 50,000 IU (per week) of Vitamin D2. I'm in the Northern Latitude.

The most recent recommendation for vitamin D by the Institute of Medicine is 600 IU/day. When this was released last month, nearly every dietitian I know/work with was let down; we had expected at least a recommendation of 1000 IU. So as a dietitian I will tell you that the clinical research has (thus far) indicated that 600 IU of vitamin D will meet your daily needs. But personally, i take 2000 IU/day because I recognize that borderline low vitamin D levels are not healthy and supplementation of upwards 2000 IU is fine.

Sort of along the same lines...Kellogg's have reveled that they are going to be supplementing their cereals with vitamin D3 soon, making them unsuitable for vegans I did write to them to ask a bit more about it and they said they are using vitamin D3 sourced from lanolin. I also asked if they had considered using D2 instead but they didn't answer :/

Yep. "Megafood." It's quite expensive too.

6,000 is definitely on the high end. Though I recently attended a conference with Dr. Michael Holick, an endrocrinologist of Boston Medical School. He's reknown in the area of Vitamin D, though at times controversial. He was advocating around the 4000 IU range.

I'm more comfortable with a loose routine of 2000 IU/day. I'd definitely recommend obtaining a vitamin assay, if you're ever able. It would be interesting to cross reference your levels alongside how much you supplement and where you live.