What do your preworkout and post workout meals consist of?

cube

Hello everyone! It's my first post. I started eating vegan 1 month ago (formerly I was lacto-ovo-vegetarian). I'm not sure, what to eat before/after workout and what time intervals should be preserved. Currently it looks as follows:

1,5 hour before workout:

brown rice or whole wheat pasta + tomato sauce with black beans/lentils and various vegetables

--------------------------

Immediately after workout:

85 g of maltodextrin + 5 g of creatine + 10 g of BCAA+glutamine powder + 2 glasses of water

--------------------------

30 minutes after workout:

25 g of pea protein + glass of soymilk + 2 bananas + 1 tsp of cocoa powder + 1 tsp of flax seeds, 1 orange/grapefruit, 5 dried dates

What do you think about maltodextrin?

Many people takes protein immediately after workout. I've heard, that's not good idea, because a large amount of energy is used to distribute protein to aminoacids, instead of fast recovery.

Is there any sense in taking protein (with water or soy milk) before sleep?

Please, make suggestions.

Sorry for eventual language mistakes. I'm not English speaker.

Hi Cube,

I'd like to say first that the reasoning behind taking in quickly digested protein and simple carbohydrates after a workout is that... During a workout, as you probably know, you cause tears in your muscle fibers. Also you have depleted your muscle glycogen stores. How intense these two things are depends on how hard you've trained. When you take in simple carbohydrates, it spikes your insulin. When you take a quickly digestible protein like vega or pea protein isolate, etc. The insulin from the carbohydrate drives both the aminos from the protein source, and the glucose from the carb into your muscle cells, putting them int an anabolic (building) state, instead of a catabolic state (breaking down). Articles and parts of books have been written on this, so there is hard science behind it. My father, who is a nutritionist stands behind it. That being said, I don't think it's necessary by any means, but results can change dramatically.

What you eat before your workout, in my opinion should be something that will give you some fuel to run on while you're working out. I guess you could say the closer you're eating to the time you're working out, the faster the food should digest. If you're only waiting a couple hours, I wouldn't eat a really complex high fat meal. That is just my opinion, from my experience.

I workout after breakfast and before lunch (around 10:30) and I usually have oatmeal or fruit for breakfast.

As for post workout, when I first started working out I used Nutritional yeast (Yeah I know, haha) which is something like 50% protein, so it wasn't horrible. Eventually I switched to Soy isolate. And as a carb, organic can sugar. A pretty simple, ghetto type of combo, but it works pretty well, for me at least.

I would suggest for post workout, using dextrose instead of maltodextrin, dextrose is assimilated much faster than maltodextrin. I don't think it's deal breaking to use maltodextrin, it's just not as fast. And for protein, use whatever protein powder you like. The important things about the post workout drink are that it.. 1. Causes an insulin spike. 2. It is liquid. 3. It contains roughly twice as much carbohydrate than protein.

Here is my normal diet "around the workout" (I don't work with weights and I do two muscle groups so my post workout drink isn't huge...)

Breakfast - Oatmeal

-about an hour and a half later-

Workout, followed by 2-3 cups of waters mixed with 12-15 grams of protein, and 24-30 grams of sucrose (table sugar). I would use dextrose but I haven't been able to find it locally.

-an hour later or so-

Lunch, usually legumes of some sort, something high protein

That's about it. I think what you're doing is great, and my only suggestion is to use a simpler sugar (dextrose), even if you stick with malto though, taking in those two things after you workout makes a big difference. Keep it simple too!