Heys From The Boonies!

MillionDollarVeggie

Hey everyone!

My name's Reese, I'm 23 (female) and live in Indiana. I've been lurking around here for weeks now. I've belonged to a couple other forums that really down the vegan lifestyle and are always advocating animal products, blah blah blah I'm sure you've all heard it all. I have been wanting to become a vegan for a while, I started in my teens (round 16-17) but I was the only one doing it and my family wouldn't prepare completely seperate meals- especially not vegan meals for me. So I went back to eating meat. Then I moved out and in with my spouse who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and is a (from birth) paraplegic. From there all hopes of wanting to be vegan were pretty dashed since I was told (ignorant misinformation) that a diabetic can't be on a vegan diet because the grains will jack up glucose levels. After trying every animal product diet in the last 4 years for myself and my spouse, veganism calls me back as it's been doing so for years. The best part is my spouse is all for being vegan with me!

I have no problem going "cold turkey" so to speak from eating a diet of all animal products to a diet of no animal products, in fact, I am in excited. Because I've known this was right for me from the start. Was just a matter of weeding through the junk info. Unlike alot of members on here that I've noticed, I'm not trying to bulk or gain weight, I'm trying to cut and lose and be healthy. Of course, save a few lives in the process. I look at my dog and think "I'm not eating you any time soon" Then I look in my freezer and think "Then why the heck am I eating you?"

New year, new me.

Hi and welcome! I'm new to the forums myself.

I noticed you said your significant other has type 2 diabetes and wasn't told he couldn't choose a vegan diet.

My boyfriend is a type one diabetic, he was diagnosed when he was only 10. He and I are both vegan and his health and numbers have actually improved drastically, actually using less insulin then he was before.

He just doesn't eat as much fruit and we still watch the amount of starchy carbs that we eat aka we don't eat white potatoes, and he limits his intake of things like brown rice and sweet potatoes. He still eats them, however he doesn't overdue it. It would be the same way if he chose to eat meat, he has to take insulin regardless so it's best to consume nutritious, wholesome foods.

Feel free to contact me anytime and I'd be happy to chat about it! Best wishes to you both!

XO,

Steph