Lifting belt, yea or nay?

kckas

I'm thinking about getting a lifting belt. I'm currently straight leg dead lifting 105 lbs. and squatting 150 lbs. I'm female, 5'4" and 125 lbs.

I've done lots of online researching and I've read both sides, some people swear by belts and others swear against them.

I'd love to know what everyone thinks here before I decide if I could benefit from one or not.

TIA!

I used to never like belts, and never wore them for years without any issue (my back problems came from an unavoidable situation where a belt wouldn't have done any good). Now I wear a belt when I'm squatting or deadlifting 80% of my max or up, not so much for the "injury prevention" factor that's always debatable, but moreso that it forces me to use my abs more, giving my a more stable core. I had to un-learn chest breating and re-learn to get in deep belly breaths for core stability, and a belt makes sure that I'm always doing the right thing. The only spot where a belt feels like it may have ANY help in a lift for me is locking out deadlifts a bit faster than I do without one.

I don't think that most people will actually ever NEED a belt, but for those that do choose to use one, I'd always suggest keeping it off until the sets get heavy, no point in developing a dependancy on feeling it is essential for everything from warm-ups on down (as many guys at my gym do, the belt is on from the moment they arrive until they hit the locker room!)

I used to never like belts, and never wore them for years without any issue (my back problems came from an unavoidable situation where a belt wouldn't have done any good). Now I wear a belt when I'm squatting or deadlifting 80% of my max or up, not so much for the "injury prevention" factor that's always debatable, but moreso that it forces me to use my abs more, giving my a more stable core. I had to un-learn chest breating and re-learn to get in deep belly breaths for core stability, and a belt makes sure that I'm always doing the right thing. The only spot where a belt feels like it may have ANY help in a lift for me is locking out deadlifts a bit faster than I do without one.

I don't think that most people will actually ever NEED a belt, but for those that do choose to use one, I'd always suggest keeping it off until the sets get heavy, no point in developing a dependancy on feeling it is essential for everything from warm-ups on down (as many guys at my gym do, the belt is on from the moment they arrive until they hit the locker room!)

That's great advice! I appreciate your help!