True protein change

Paige

This is the recent e-mail I received from TP on the gemma sodium issue. I can't believe that anyone can support 600mg of sodium in a 1 scoop of protein powder but this guy does. This company is losing my support fast.

Paige, thank you for your email, but our response may be different from your thought process. We work with many high end prep trainers, prep trainers that work with professional bodybuilders and fitness athletes, as well one of our co-owners trains professional bodybuilders and all of them have this same thought process, not one differs. Any prep trainer who is cutting sodium anywhere outside of the last days before a show doesn't really know what they are doing. Cutting sodium is disastrous, it could be one of the most essential minerals during this time frame. Anyone who things that sodium isn't a vital important nutrient to anyones success (sodium, water and glycogen make up muscle cells!!, those 3 components!) is fooling themselves.

What do ALL smart prep trainers have their clients do during prep? Up their sodium so their is more water, less injuries and so when they cut sodium the last 24-72 hours they get absolutely shredded. Again, I don't want to step on any toes, but please understand from our standpoint as well as the plethora of other prep trainers we work with directly, this product along with exterior sodium is essential to prepping for a contest and any other stage of growth. Sodium should only be eliminated the last day(s).

Thanks,

Doug

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the email was rude at all. TP is a really good company, I stand behind the people that own and work there because they are extremely supportive of the bodybuilding and fitness community.

I also think his information was pretty accurate in terms of contest prep and sodium.

I am not nuts about the amount either, I love the product though

I noticed this change myself just the other day. I find it odd that their pea protein went from 25mg-35mg of sodium to 600mg. In fact, I always found it odd that True Protein's pea protein was so low in sodium. I still have a jug of it that lists the sodium as 0mg, but I never seriously questioned the accuracy of the supplement facts on the custom mixes until now.

Most brands of pea protein run between 300mg and 400mg of sodium, which is high, but still low enough for me to potentially have 5-6 servings a day and keep my sodium intake within acceptable limits.

This makes me question whether the 0mg and 25mg-35mg listings were ever correct in the first place. I also question the accuracy of the 600mg listing, and wonder if it is incorrectly listed as too high.

In the past I ordered a custom mixture of 85% pea protein/15% rice protein, but until this is resolved I am going to order a 50/50 pea and rice protein mixture. I'm sticking with True Protein because it's so cheap and I eat too much of it to be paying $10+ a pound. I did email them and respectfully voiced my disappointment with the change. I suggest that others do this as well. Maybe they will address the issue if enough people contact them.

freeweight: please take a look at my Feb.2 post above. It is their response to my e-mail voicing my disappointment.

I read your post. Thanks for being vocal and bringing this issue to light.

My problem with all of this is that I have always been somewhat suspicious about the accuracy of the supplement facts table on True Protein's custom mixture page. I'm even more suspicious now. It was strange when their pea protein was listed as being 300mg less sodium than most other brands, and It's strange now that their pea protein is 200mg - 300mg higher than most other brands; I'm not convinced that the 600mg listing is accurate either.

I don't understand what caused this change in the product. In your emails with them did they indicate that they are getting the pea protein from a new distributor or something along those lines?

They said it was the same distributor. I could never figure out why the product tasted so good, had no fat, little sodium, no carbs and was cheap. I don't trust them anymore. This is what pushed me to start turning back to a whole food diet. I have now given up all processed foods, and am trying to move toward a raw fruit and veggie diet. the change just did not make any sense. How does the same product go from 25 mg to 600mg.

I got an email from someone at True Protein. He did acknowledge that the 600mg seemed unusually high, but that each batch of protein powder comes with updated nutritional information that is unique to that particular batch. He said they are getting a new batch in within the next two weeks. I'm going to wait two weeks to order again. Hopefully the sodium content will fluctuate downward to a level that I feel comfortable with. If not then I will be adding more rice and some soy protein to my custom mixture to get the sodium down. It's disappointing because pea protein has so many positive attributes.

I didn't get in to whether or not the supplement information has been incorrect this whole time, so take it for what you feel is worth, though I think I recall reading on this thread that True Protein addressed that with another person in some way or another.

I really like that pea thickening. Great when just made into pudding. I tried the rice and I just can't stand pure rice protein. I am going to do a 40/30/30, hemp, rice, gemma. Still is a bit high in sodium. Also, I worked with many top level competitors at a training camp in Texas this weekend. When I mentioned the comment that sodium should stay high throughout contest prep until 48hrs prior to contest, not one athlete agreed with it. Basic nutrition. Large amounts of sodium are not a good idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I signed up to VBB (awesome site, btw) just to say that the sodium content is now down to 360mg per scoop(30g) for the Gemma Pea Protein; a 50/50 blend of the pea and rice proteins even lowers it to 183mg.

I started looking at proteins a week back so I don't really know when the lower sodium content was put into effect, but hopefully it goes even lower.

Here's a link to the product page:

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6816

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since this is the only relevant True Protein thread, I'd like to post that their Vitamin and Mineral Mix additive is not vegan. I was reading their FAQ while waiting for a recent order to arrive when I stumbled upon one topic stating that the mix may or may not be vegan/vegeterian friendly. I emailed True Protein and they confirmed it as true. Now I have 3 pounds of inedible protein on the way...