Post Workout drink ?

kckas

Hi,

I am re-reading, The Thrive Diet and I noticed that Brendan Brazier recommends that the post recovery intake should be higher in carbs and lower in protein, a ratio of 4:1. The book says that if you have a greater amount of protein you will be slow to recover.

Currently I'm drinking 30 grams of rice or hemp protein mixed in water with a small handful of dried fruit. So I'm wondering if I need to up my fruit intake? I plan to start eating dates as my dried fruit of choice but if I want the 4:1 ratio to apply I'd need to consume 7 dates to receive 120 grams of carbs. which = 462 calories which seems high. Does this sound right? If not I'd love to be enlightened.

I feel like I'm not recovering as fast as I should, my body lately is always hurting which is affecting the amount of weight I can lift. I'm either in lots of pain when I lift or I need to drop my weight lower so I'm not in so much pain. So I'm wondering if I have my PWO food intake all wrong?

TIA!

I've done well with 40g protein and 60-90g carbs post-workout. I can see 4:1 being good for endurance athletes, but for weight training, I don't see a need to have the protein that low to keep the ratio in a reasonable balance or to let the carbs skyrocket to keep in line with a lifter's PWO nutrition needs. I'd keep it at around 2:1 carbs/protein and see how that goes.

If I were to consume 160g+ carbs immediately PWO, I'd certainly get bigger - in the midsection, primarily!