Training muscle groups more than once a week??

At what point do you start training muscle groups more than once a week?

For me, following Robert's book has given me great results. I have added sets-Changed up bits of my routine and added dropdwon sets as well. (All in the last 5 months) Given that it takes muscle groups 48+ hours to fully rebuild.(I think that's right) When and how do you add to your routines?

I know that many here are in the gym 12-15 or more days in a row. Each workout day for me is about 10 to 12 sets of exercises.

For me-It is as follows:

Monday-Chest-Biceps

Tuesday-Back-Abs

Wednesday-Off

Thursday-Shoulders-Triceps

Friday-Legs

Thanks for your help.

I think a beginner would do well to start with fullbody workouts right from the start, I think a split program makes little sense. Focus should be on learning the technique in the most important exercises: squats, deadlifts, presses, rows etc. Resting 48h between each workout is probably good but not strictly necessary.

I highly recommend a monday wednesday friday, ABA BAB type routine. Such as Iron Addicts simple power based routine.

Two workouts rotated, so sometimes your hitting muscle groups twice a week and next week only once.

Monday: Workout A

Wednesday: Workout B

Friday: Workout A

Monday: Workout B

etc

Iron addicts site is great http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/

Here's his Simple power based routine

Monday

Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5

Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10

Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6

Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8

Calf Raises 3 x 15

Wednesday

Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8

Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8

Skull Crushers 3 x 10

Ab work 3 x 10

Friday

Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5

Leg press 2 x 10

Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6

Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8

Calf Raises 3 x 15

Monday

Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3

Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8

Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8

Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10

Ab work 3 x 10 Monday

I think a beginner would do well to start with fullbody workouts right from the start, I think a split program makes little sense. Focus should be on learning the technique in the most important exercises: squats, deadlifts, presses, rows etc. Resting 48h between each workout is probably good but not strictly necessary.

Agreed, bronco! great advice for beginners! Also, consider Stronglift's 5x5. Plenty of resources and support with plenty of success stories for beginners. Provides a method for establishing a solid base. The best way to begin, IMO.

Agreed, bronco! great advice for beginners! Also, consider Stronglift's 5x5. Plenty of resources and support with plenty of success stories for beginners. Provides a method for establishing a solid base. The best way to begin, IMO.

Ah, that reminds me, I would recommend the starting strength book, In my opinion probably the best book for beginners with very good introductions to the most important exercises and a decent program to follow. The program is quite similar to stronglift.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can start training body parts more than once a week when you are no longer soar for more than a couple days. As long ad you are not soar you are good to go - at least in my experience. Birding do any large body part more than twice a week - that's overdoingit. Of course things like abs can be done almostevery day.

I pretty much went back to doing just about full body 3x a week. Every day it's squat or deads, bench (or variation) and an upper back+bicep exercise. It doesn't really matter that much for beginners. Progressive loading on compound exercises, enough recovery time, plenty of food and be consistent. Can't go wrong.