hello!!

luvpitbulls

Hi everyone!

My name is Nikki, I've been vegan for about 5 months and I love dogs! I have to admit I still occasionally eat cheese (sucker for pizza) but I'm working on that. We all have our weaknesses, right? I'm lucky that I was never really a meat person, and I might be the only person in America who really doesn't enjoy cheese (save pizza), so it really isn't difficult for me to choose vegan foods. I do have trouble when I need something quick and easy, but I'm learning to get around that. In general, I really enjoy brown rice with black beans, green smoothies and fresh juice!

I've always been active, played sports in high school but got lazy in college. Throughout college and for a few years after I'd go to the gym and lift weights but I wasn't consistent enough to really see any results. Finally about three years ago I started getting serious. I was inspired by the Eat Clean Diet (Tosca Reno) and the lovely ladies on her forum, and i was finally a bit more consistent with eating healthy and with lifting regularly. Before I could really see any serious results I transitioned to CrossFit and did that for about 3 or 4 months. CrossFit involves a lot of lifts I'd never done before (a real squat, deadlift, power clean, etc.) and I was frustrated to be so out-of-the-loop and so darn weak!! And so I began the Starting Strength program (Mark Rippetoe & Lon Kilgore). This was my very first opportunity to observe my body changing rapidly. I wasn't really changing visually (at first), but every single time I stepped into the gym I was stronger. It was unreal! I fell in love with training for strength (as opposed to just trying to look good) and I even did a powerlifting competition about 6 mths later. I loved every minute of it! Unfortunately, I was eating like crap (meat, whole milk, whey protein, meat, whole milk, whey protein, and occasionally ice cream) and I was getting FAT!!! My coach kept assuring me that once I was strong enough (and therefore had more muscle mass) I'd actually start losing fat without trying and I'd be strong, lean and fit. Who knows, maybe he would have been right had I stuck with it, but I realized I needed a change. I could lift more weight than I ever thought was possible, but I was fat, looked like hell, ate like crap, felt like crap, had a constant stomach ache, couldn't even shovel snow for 5 minutes without being seriously winded and i was scaring the sh*t out of my husband! LOL!

Shortly after I quit powerlifting I switched to a vegan diet. This diet fits my natural food preferences much better than the way I was eating before. Plus, I love, love, love animals and after watching Earthlings, etc. I could no longer justify eating meat. It isn't necessary, so why contribute to that madness?

I've also been lifting consistently (not powerlifting, more towards bodybuilding). I've lost some fat and the majority of my strength, but I'm at a good place. I just read Robert's book and i am so thankful to finally have some insight as to what a vegan bodybuilding diet looks like! It is not nearly as complicated as I thought and it seems to accommodate my food preferences well (I hate tofu).

Okay one last thing... I want to do a figure/bikini competition this year. I am terrified of the dietary restrictions (will I be able to resist sugar for 12 weeks?!?) but I am ready to take on the challenge. This is an idea that's been floating around in my head for a few years now. I've tried to forget about it, I've tried waiting it out and hoping the idea would fade, but it always comes back. I am beginning to think this is something I'd regret skipping, so it's time to make it happen! I'm currently researching and planning my vegan competition diet. There are plenty of resources to figure out how to train for a competition, but not many to figure out a vegan contest prep diet!! And so, here I am.

sorry for the way-too-long intro post!! look forward to meeting you all!

-Nikki

Hey Nikki!

Thanks for joining our team!

Thanks also for the shout out about the book. Glad you enjoyed it. LOVE your quote in your signature by the way! My all-time favorite hero of course!

Explore around the forum and have fun.

See you around,

Robert

Thanks for the welcome!! This will not be the last time I mention your book, as it has made a huge difference in my training goals. Prior to reading it, I wasn't sure it was possible to compete on a vegan diet without loads of soy products and lots of wacky supplements. Thanks for taking the time to put the book together - there aren't many resources out there for aspiring vegan bodybuilding/figure/fitness/bikini competitors, as I'm sure you know

Thanks Nikki

I appreciate your support Big Time!

Working on making the book as successful as I can, then I'm hiding out later this year to finish my next book (personal development book, not a vegan book).

Saw your training journal too. I promise, if you keep that up daily, open yourself up to feedback, hold yourself accountable, and stay positive and driven, you will achieve great things!

All the very best.

Robert