Strength fluctuations ?

kckas

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's normal to go from being able to lift a lot of weight to not being able to lift a lot.

For a few weeks I could not squat more then 95 lbs. I just physically could not do more. Previous to that I was able to squat 135 lbs. So last week I was testing my limits and I was easily able to squat 135 lbs. again. And today I did 5 x 5 at 135 lbs. plus I did 1 set of 5 at 145.

Same with leg presses. I was at 190 lbs. then I couldn't go past 130 lbs. Today I'm back to 190 lbs.

It was like this for all exercises but I really noticed a bigger weight difference on my leg exercises.

I'm just confused on what's going on and if this is a normal occurrence?

Thanks!

Could be that you weren't fully recovered, but even lack of sleep, bad eating for a few days, etc. can have a great impact on a training session. One thing is, you can't ALWAYS expect linear progression where each successive session will certainly be better than the last, but if you have a really "off" day, it could well be a fluke due to any number of external factors that could contribute to a bad session. And believe me, once you let it get in your head, it's nearly impossible to come back from, so oftentimes a bad start to a workout can make EVERYTHING go poorly if you let it interfere with your mental state at the time (a big factor for me).

If it becomes frequent with major strength fluctuations, that would be unusual. But every so often, we all have a bad day at the gym where we felt like our normal warm-up weights were suddenly feeling like max attempts, that's just the way it goes from time to time!