B-12 deficiency- Long time strict vegans please comment. ty

Barb

Some people have been urging me to start eating meat because they say that as time goes on I will have more of a problem with a deficiency and I would need more and more supplementation and injections. Also my doctor agreed with this. This link was posted on another forum where some were critical of my diet. It is very disappointing and I want to hear from long time vegans that have not had any animal products what so ever for five or ten years or more. I just need some reassurance. This was posted to urge me to consider adding animal products back as an example of what would happen if I continue as the years go on.l

10 years no animal products, I take a multi with B-12 every few days, blood work has always been 100% on the mark for everything. Don't take the alarmism as fact, sadly, too many physicians know little about nutrition and are getting their information from the same places the rest of us do (which, as we know, are not always accurate).

If you're worried, get a cheap B-12 supplement and take it daily, but I've found for me, even once or twice a week has been more than enough to cover me. Even daily dosing is remarkably cost-effective:

http://store.veganessentials.com/vegan-vitamin-b-12-spray-by-nutrasumma-p3221.aspx

Taken daily, with this one you're paying all of 6.5 cents per day per serving. B-12 isn't expensive, is easy to take, and you won't have to worry in the long run if you do some preventative measures now!

I've been vegan for about 14 years now, I've been (inconsistently) taking a multivitamin throughout and have been adding a B12 supplement for the past few years.

The B12 is more of a necessity as it's one of the few things we can't get "naturally" since we wash it off of produce. (Though I don't mean to say unwashed produce would be a sufficient source either.(

I've never sought out specific blood tests for B12 but whatever other ones I've had have all been very good.

From what I've heard there are some people who have problems absorbing B12 and will need injections, but that's regardless of being vegetarian or not. I don't have any source for this offhand.

Jack Norris has some solid B12 information here: http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

I've been vegan for nearly 7 years and vegetarian for 6 years before that. After taking b-12 supplements every day for years I had a test and my b-12 values were literally outside the tested range - because they were so high! My doctor told me to cut down the supplementing but I figure it's better to be safe.

Incidentally, my mom is an omnivore and has severe trouble with b-12 which has required injections.

I've been vegan for nearly 7 years and vegetarian for 6 years before that. After taking b-12 supplements every day for years I had a test and my b-12 values were literally outside the tested range - because they were so high! My doctor told me to cut down the supplementing but I figure it's better to be safe.

Incidentally, my mom is an omnivore and has severe trouble with b-12 which has required injections.

Which supplement are you taking and what is the dosage of b-12. I was tested low last time I went to the doctor which was when i was an omni. I guess my diet was not balance and I wasnt eating good. I was told I can use blackstrap molasses and I remember when I was 16 my mom took me to a chiropractor which did nutrition counsuling and I also took some nutritional yeast and some other supplements.

Is blackstrap molasses a good source of iron and is it well utilized by the body? I also am adding some other foods high in iron and will buy the supplements. Just not sure which one and the dosage to take. I know my b-12 level was about 200 and I was showing signs of deficiency and I believe I still am low. I am not going to be tested because I have no health insurance at this time.

Some people have been urging me to start eating meat because they say that as time goes on I will have more of a problem with a deficiency and I would need more and more supplementation and injections. Also my doctor agreed with this. This link was posted on another forum where some were critical of my diet. It is very disappointing and I want to hear from long time vegans that have not had any animal products what so ever for five or ten years or more. I just need some reassurance. This was posted to urge me to consider adding animal products back as an example of what would happen if I continue as the years go on.l

I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years and I've been a vegan for at least 15, since the mid 1990s. I haven't had a problem with vitamin b-12. Then again I ignore the advice of 80/10/10 ers, raw foodists and other vegans into wacky diets. I take a vegan vitamin b-12 supplement regularly. No problems.

The best way to protect your health and to keep people from spooking you about your diet is to do your own reading on nutrition and pick reliable sources. Jack Norris R.D. is a registered dietitian and a cofounder of Vegan Outreach. He maintains veganhealth.org that has one of the best articles in existence on vitamin b-12:

http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

You might also want to read my very short article on how to find reliable vegan nutrition information

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/vegan-diets/

If you aren't into reading nutrition books, you don't have to. Jack Norris R.D.. has a daily nutrition check list that can fit on a page. Just print a few off and check them off on a daily basis until doing those things becomes second nature:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs

Good luck.

Thanks for those resources. I have been doing some reading. There is so much information out there and sometimes it is hard to weed through to get to the reliable sources. I do feel better about my diet now. 80/10/10 ers?

I see it is a diet. I just googled it. I am not interested in raw although I do eat tons of raw veggies and fruit. I am trying to eat more beans and legumes. I am allergic to soy and wheat so I am looking for other grains. Im making some soup with lots of beans and tomatoes and garlic right now. I will be going to get my b12 supplement soon.

I see it is a diet. I just googled it. I am not interested in raw

That is a good thing for you, no sarcasm. The last thing you need is misinformation and 80/10/10 ers as well as raw foodists spread a lot of it around. I don't think that is intentional. Read my link about how to find reliable vegan nutrition information. If you follow Jack Norris's short daily check list your health should become very good.

The B12 is more of a necessity as it's one of the few things we can't get "naturally" since we wash it off of produce. (Though I don't mean to say unwashed produce would be a sufficient source either.

This is the type of information that keeps getting passed around and it is "false".

No it is not false. Modern food processing to make food safe to eat removes b-12 from non-animal food sources where people might otherwise find it. So, if people who avoid animal products don't supplment vitamin b-12 or eat fortified foods, they can eventually get very sick. As in strokes, heart attacks and nerve damage.

This is what experts with educations, degrees clinical and research experience have to say on the subject.

I think everyone agrees that you should take a B12 supplement, whether that's in a pill, or with fortified foods, so that you're getting your RDA. I've known vegans who didn't realise this, who got ill and had to have injections, because they weren't getting it from the plant foods they were eating. I've been vegan for about 10 years, had no B12 problems.

These are very good articles that break down truth from fiction. #3 is based on fermented foods.

I didn't see anyone mentioning fermented foods as being rich in B-12. Are you by chance confusing "fortified" with "fermented"?

As usual; you're only good at putting words in other people's mouths to make them look bad!

Where did I state fermented foods were rich in B12?

I came in here trying to play nice, and you act like an ass once again when I simply posed a question without any antagonism. Thanks, "wise man".

You made a specific point of saying "#3 is based on fermented foods", as if someone here was saying fermented foods are a valid source of B-12. I didn't say YOU said they were rich in B-12, you may want to work on your reading comprehension. If nobody is saying fermented foods are a source for B-12, why are you making a point of singling out fermented foods in this case?

That's all I was trying to say. Glad to see you're still acting as rude as always, though, it would have shattered my world view if you'd actually became slightly more considerate. I'm outta this thread, it'll probably go downhill well enough on its own.

I think there is a bit of confusion about what you're trying to get across 2097. It seems that in many of your posts you're suggesting that we can get B12 without a supplement, since you are saying there are other ways to get it. If you think people should be taking a B12 supplement anyway, then everyone's in agreement anyway.

Supplements are not a panacea. Vitamin B12 deficiency is common among meat eaters and omnivores as well.

B12 is produced by bacteria. These bacteria live in the small intestine, in fermented food and in the soil. It is arguable whether we can utilize the B12 from within our bodies, therefore the meat eaters tell people to obtain it from the corpses of other creatures. What we're left with is the B12 in fermented food and in the soil. Pesticides and insecticides also kill the B12 producing bacteria in the soil. A hundred years ago people didn't wash their food so much and some B12 from the soil remnants on the vegetables (lettuce for example) got into their bodies and they lived happily. So if you eat vegetables and fruit grown in organically composted farms (without chemicals) there is a great chance B12 will get into your body. The dirt which accumulates around the stems of apples, apricots, pears, etc may very well contain B12 bacteria. My sources: Dr. Douglas Graham and Dr. McDougall.

This B12 topic is spreading insanely.

There is nothing wrong with being vegan, this is the natural way. Meat eating is wrong. Yes, it exists but cannibalism has existed as well.

I've been vegan for almost 3 years and I've taken no B12 supplements and I'm alive and kicking and in very good health. I'll be happy to post again that I haven't died from B12 deficiency after another year or two when I'll hopefully be a 100% raw eater. I eat mostly raw, fruitarian now but not 100% because fruit costs money and doesn't grow in winter.

I am posting this to show that people who don't take B12 supplements don't necessarily suffer a B12 deficiency. I bet I get enough B12 when I pick sour cherries from my granny's yard and eat them without even washing them. I don't know if most of you have the chance to have access to pure unprocessed organic food (sometimes wildly growing) as I do. People deserve to know the truth and not simply be given the pill. What 2097 says is very interesting as well. I've been listening to Lemuria by Therion all day, a mind blowing song:)

Disregard everything 2097 has had to add in this thread and take a b-12 supplement. You will be fine.

beforewisdom love's to start fights and is extremely delusional!

When did I state not to supplement Vitamin B12?

I'm not starting a fight. I'm warning someone who is scared about her health away from a source of near total misinformation.

You are a teenager without an education or research experience. You frequently point to spurious sources to back up your opinions. Even when you point to legitimate bodies of authority, you don't have the education or experience to properly understand the scholarly references you point to. I don't either. That is why professional go to school, get degrees, do research and work with other professional before they give advice to people or express authoritative opinions to them.