Running a marathon and body body building ?

kckas

Totally possible. I use crossfit endurance and i am trainer. I'll help you out if your interested and have questions.. Your going to have to keep most of your run training anaerobic.

http://www.crossfitendurance.com

Best wishes.

I just looked at the website. I'm a bit confused though. Is it classes that teach you how to do crossfit? So you have to take x amount of classes in order to get the concept down? Or are there special machines at the facility that aren't normally in gyms?

Ideally I'd like to train on my own at the gym I'm already a member of.

Thanks!

Totally possible. I use crossfit endurance and i am trainer. I'll help you out if your interested and have questions.. Your going to have to keep most of your run training anaerobic.

http://www.crossfitendurance.com

Best wishes.

Mary I'm curious - does CF endurance advocate NO long runs while training for a full marathon? Just anaerobic sprints? Or am I missing something?

CFE doesn't do tradional periodic training where you gradually increase your mileage. So in that sense there is no long slow distance. Your not going to go out and run 23 miles a few weeks before your marathon like most training has you do. However it isn't all anaerobic sprints either. It is a mix of crossfit (both strength and metabolic conditioning wods - like you normally see in my training log) as well as running 3 - 4 times a week of sprints, time trials (for both distance and time), tempo runs, hill repeats. Your never going to go under 85% effort.

CFE doesn't do tradional periodic training where you gradually increase your mileage. So in that sense there is no long slow distance. Your not going to go out and run 23 miles a few weeks before your marathon like most training has you do. However it isn't all anaerobic sprints either. It is a mix of crossfit (both strength and metabolic conditioning wods - like you normally see in my training log) as well as running 3 - 4 times a week of sprints, time trials (for both distance and time), tempo runs, hill repeats. Your never going to go under 85% effort.

Thanks. I should look into it. I kind of want to ramp up my running again, but I'm hesitant to lose any strength gains I've made over the winter.

Thanks. I should look into it. I kind of want to ramp up my running again, but I'm hesitant to lose any strength gains I've made over the winter.

Same here.

MaryStella are there any crossfit books you can recommend? I'd like to get a better idea of what crossfit entails.

Thanks!

Personally I think it is great program. I use it so if you go through my log you will see what kind of training I am doing (although it has been modified a bit post surgery) I do triathlons as well as races in running, biking and swimming and yet I consider myself reasonably strong. Im deadlifting 230 and have decent weights numbers in other areas as well. everything you need to know about crossfit is on their website so www.crossfit.com and www.crossfitendurance.com. look under the FAQ and start here sections. Then ask me any questions you may have. They post a workout everyday on both sites. Most likely in the beginning you will have to scale the workout to your ability level.

There are books out there about olympic lifting etc by people who do crssfit but they are not specific to crossfit.

Mary do you think there would be a benefit to doing CFE training for running but sticking to my 3x/week Stronglifts lifting program?

What I'm thinking is keep my 3x/week lifting schedule and run 3x/week on non-lifting days, using CFE workouts. I'm not really interested in CF for strength training, as my current gym at work is not set up with the equipment I would need (even if I modified the WODs) and I'm not looking to join a different gym right now (the main benefit of my current one is it's free).

(sorry for kind of hijacking your thread kckas)

I think you should try it as see how it goes for you. Obviously my experience is with myself and others doing both cf and cfe but I don't think it would hurt to try it out. Strength movements are pretty universal. I am not sure what stronglifts protocols are. Basically I recommend you be pushing as much weight as you can for your lifts. (which i already think you are from what i see in the log) why i am saying this is i don't know if they do deloading portions or not in their programming. Feel free to tell me more about stronglifts and i would be will to work out a running schedule/workouts for you around it. it would be fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you need to run long to be competitive in marathon. i dont see how ZERO long runs will ever benefit you when it comes to distance races. if you want to finish a marathon, almost anyone who is strong willed can do it, you have enough time to walk 75% and still finish a marathon.

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible, it depends by what you mean by body-building. Obviously a freak-style physique would be very hard work indeed to get round 26.2 miles, whilst it would be more achievable for a body-builder with a more lean, natural musculature.

You will still retain decent muscle so long as you continue to lift weights.

Also, what do you mean by running a marathon? If it's just to get round in whatever time, as a one-off to say you've completed a marathon? Or do you intend to train hard, race seriously and competively, and in as fast a time as possible? The latter requires more commitment and miles and would have a greater impact on your bodybuilding results.

The two can compliment each other (you won't be a skinny runner or a chunky bodybuilder) but you won't be a great a runner as you could be by lifting weights and you won't be as good a bodybuilder if you run....

I've been distance running for 17 years and weight lifting for 14 years and get half-decent results at both:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Tarz77/027.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Tarz77/76624_455580087061_621512061_6006770_3905614_n1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update...

I'm about 2.5 weeks out from my half marathon and I can happily say that I've definitely gained muscle mass as well as thinned out during my training. I'm only lifting twice a week but I lift as heavy as I can and I'm still increasing my weight in some exercises. I'm also currently running about 30 miles a week.

ETA: And I hope to finish my half in ~2 hours. I've only been seriously running since March so I think this is a good time to aim for.

• 3 weeks later...