is it posible to become stronger without gaining weight

runner

How did you train?

How many exercises, sets and reps are you doing?

To answer your question shortly: Yes. But ( ) if you are not used to weight-training you might experience a increase of BW by the growth of your muscles during the first few month. But uf you do not go for hypertrophy (6-15 reps) afterwards you will not keep gaining BW as long as you do not eat too many calories (weight training can make you really hungry...)

You'll be OK. It is possible to become stronger without gaining weight. I think you can still run good times and improve even if you put on weight.

Your running will benefit from cross-training. I've ran my fastest races when also weight training. Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't of run even faster if I hadn't been lifting weights.

Lifting weights a couple of times a week will be OK.

You all set for the big race?

thanks guys!!!

I'll try to shop with your sugestions!!

and will inform you on my results.

i have to races upcomming. this weekend the dutch national 10k road race championship and than the week later the 10 mile in uk.

guess a 10 mile can also make me lose weight..

65 kg is not to much i guess.. but people like my trainer talk about the extra muscule weight...

I agree with Flanders, but want to add, that you can either increase reps (a little higher than 15 i'd say, more like 20-50) OR decrease reps to under 4! Yes, working this heavy also induces less hypertrophy, but increases strength. I also think that doing a lot of running will also prevent too much muscle gains

Yeah I've maintained my weight over the past year but have gained a lot of strength. I did it by lowering bodyfat percentage while training high volume. I'm not sure if that would be possible for you, if you're a runner you probably already have pretty low bodyfat. But I imagine doing lots of pullups, pushups, one leg squats can't hurt you

...you can either increase reps (a little higher than 15 i'd say, more like 20-50) OR decrease reps to under 4! Yes, working this heavy also induces less hypertrophy, but increases strength.

I do not know if training the intramuscular coordination (about 1-4 reps) is usefull for long distance runners. I know sprinters do that kind of workout to become more explosive...

especially if you are beginning a strength program, because of neuromuscular adaptations that make you able to lift or move more without adding any muscle mass.

Even after years of intense training it is possible to get stronger without building extra mass. As I said before you can improve maximal strength by training the intramuscular coordination. This kind of training will not add muscles but "only" makes the existing muscles stronger.

Even after years of intense training it is possible to get stronger without building extra mass. As I said before you can improve maximal strength by training the intramuscular coordination. This kind of training will not add muscles but "only" makes the existing muscles stronger.

That's intersting, because right now, I'm doing a "prehab" rotation (could call it "recovery weeks," but it seems more than that) using some functional fitness workouts (based on the NASM protocols). The weights used are much lighter than with traditional training, but there's lots of focus on range of motion, working movement rather than isolated muscles, working all three planes of movement: frontal (side-to-side), saggital (front-to-back) and transverse (rotational moves).

While I've been using 3#-10# for most of these exercises (except their version of lat rows, where I use 15# vs. 35# for traditional lat rows), I definitely am getting some strength gains (I can tell by comparing push-ups before and after) and 'denser' muscle.

I'm thinking to put more running... this could also keep my weight down.. the trouble with this is the increase off the chance to get injurys..

before i'll have a debate with my trainer i'll have tomorows and next weeks race..

hopefully with at least one pb

I'm thinking to put more running... this could also keep my weight down.. the trouble with this is the increase off the chance to get injurys..

What about cross training with an activity that will burn calories, but not have the impact of running: eliptical trainer, spinning bike, Versa climber?

These might be even more effective at burning calories for you, because you are probably used to running, and your body has adapted and thus doesn't use as much energy as it would with an activity that you are not as familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
is it posible to become stronger without gaining weight

I'm 178cm 65 kg now

since i started working with weights i gained 1.5/ 2kg (5/6 months)

it might affect my running..

should i stop weight training?

This is not an answer to your question but actually a comment. I thought it'd be funny to let you know that that I am 178 cm tall and currently weigh 65 kg.

• 2 weeks later...

You might try Pavel Tsatsouline's "Power to the People" program (found in an overpriced book, but you can likely find the gist of it for free on the web). It's basically *very* low volume, *very* abbreviated, relatively heavy weight, and very high frequency. I had good luck training with it for strength without hypertrophy, as have others.

Unfortunately, Pavel is something of a salesman, which I suppose is like saying the Pope is something of a Catholic, and his signal-to-noise ratio is not particularly good. He has some fairly radical ideas by traditional strength training standards, but I've done well on some of his programs. Just discard the chaff.