Medman's re-Introduction!

medman

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been on the forum so I figured I'd make a little re-introduction thread. For those who don't know me, I'm now a 3rd year med student up in Ottawa, Canada. Been vegan for maybe 8 years now, vegetarian for 11 years total. Used to be into half-marathons and duathlons but hit a mental breaking point when I realized I was 22 years old and weighed 112 lbs. I started stronglifts around a year ago and put on roughly 25 lbs with it.

So what have I been up to lately? A shoulder injury in October kept me from doing too much in the gym for 2-3 months, but from January-March I eased back into full-intensity workouts and regained the ground I had lost from my time off. Still, throughout this whole ordeal I have gone roughly 6 months without being able to break 140lbs, and knew that now was the time to change my workout routine up. Yesterday, I officially began following the Texas Method, and look forward to having really structured workouts again. I'll be posting a progress log and things like that - probably a photo update as well.

I see a lot of familiar names are still around, and plenty of new ones. So, hello again to you all!

Thanks everyone!

Chewy - good memory! I got my P1 in Krav Maga over the summer but had to give up the classes in September when I started my clinical rotations. Just couldn't do the early evenings anymore. I still hit the heavy bag when I can because it's so much fun though!

Thanks guys! The injury sucked, but it was a nice little reminder for me to work on my flexibility (I'm very, VERY inflexible naturally, in almost every joint, but my shoulders are probably the worst). I'm now working on write flexibility for clean grip front squats, shoulder flexibility for my overhead presses, and hip flexibility for my squats (this has improved the most over the last year...I couldn't hit parallel on a bodyweight squat a year ago, but can squat heavy below parallel now!).

I can't wait until I have a chance to go through all your threads and see how everyone has been doing over the last few months. I have already seen how far Chewy and Adena have come - I need to get back to work!!

Thanks guys! The injury sucked, but it was a nice little reminder for me to work on my flexibility (I'm very, VERY inflexible naturally, in almost every joint, but my shoulders are probably the worst). I'm now working on write flexibility for clean grip front squats, shoulder flexibility for my overhead presses, and hip flexibility for my squats (this has improved the most over the last year...I couldn't hit parallel on a bodyweight squat a year ago, but can squat heavy below parallel now!

Don't get me started on flexibility lol. I recently figured out how I could do OHP for so long and still have terrible shoulder flexibility.

When I started pressing I didn't have the flexiblity to get my arms straight above my head without hyperextending my back. Instead of just dealing with the bar being a bit forward while the weight was light (and letting the problem fix itself over the first month), I hyperextended my back everytime to get the bar directly above my foot. So as the weight increased the arch in my back became more and more flexible while my shoulders remained inflexible.

I've been working on it recently with things like a straight arm pullover while lying down (can prop my leg up on something and get hamstrings at the same time), pullup hangs (with neutral spine), and lunge stretches with overhead reach. I'm going to start pressing with a light weight as well without hyperextending my back. A bad alignment of the bar being in front of my toes will give me incentive to get it sorted!