Weak Hands

The more and more I'm able to lift heavier weights the more I feel like it's often my hands letting me down. It's not uncommon for me to have to call it a set because my hands won't hold much longer rather than because the muscle/s I'm targeting being done. I don't really understand it, I've worked my way up progressivly so I thought my hands would be getting stronger as I went along. I think I might just have always hand weaker hands and it's starting to catch up with me. I use a few exercise database websites so used them to check my grips and I can't find anything wrong with them.

Could I be do something wrong still? I've never heard of someone having this problem so it's making me doubt myself. Any preferred hand exercises? My google-fu seems to be suggesting those nutcracker like things you squeeze mostly, I'd rather not spend money on them if they aren't that good. Should I add it as one of my target areas when working out or just develop a habit of doing it every day (or however often)? I already to wrist curls but not much else for that area. I've heard deadlifts can help but I can't do them until I can afford a gym membership- there's not quite enough space in my room.

• 1 month later...

Nothing helps you hold on to a barbell or dumbbell like holding on to one

Seriously, though, most of the grip "toys" help in areas of grip strength that don't carry over well to holding normal weights that you train with. For years, I've been recommending doing static holds with a barbell in a squat rack/power rack or holding heavy dumbbells at the end of your workout until you can't hold them any longer. Both will work your hands in a way that directly applies to needing the grip strength to hold on to weights during regular training, and won't require any special equipment.

Just load a barbell in a power rack with whatever the most is that you'd normally use (or more) on your heaviest sets of any major lift, so that you only need to lift it straight up a few inches to be standing with the bar in front of you at normal height (as if you're at the top of a deadlift position for the finish). Lift the few inches as needed, and hold the bar as long as you can until it pretty well is about to break your grip and fall out. Same thing can be done with dumbbells as well, works best if you set them on benches so you only have to lift a little bit, hold until you can't hold any longer. Do that 3x at the end of your training twice weekly for a few months, add weight or time on the holds at each session (or, an extra set if you can't seem to progress much) and it WILL help your grip strength. So, for example, if you can deadlift 200 lbs. for 5 reps, start with trying to hold the bar at lockout either with 200 lbs. for 3 sets of 30 seconds, or, overload with more weight (such as 250 lbs.) and try for 3 sets of 15-20 seconds. Lots of ways you can do it, and they all will be beneficial.

Here's a clip for reference on how it's done (you can even set the safety pins a bit higher, you just need at least an inch or two between where the bar starts and where you end at full lockout standing straight up)

Very uncomplicated, and gave me better results than any of the 20+ different grip exercises I used to do when it came to improving bar hold strength!

If it's true that antagonist muscle weakness can hold you back, exercising the antagonists might help. Exercises that extend the fingers. You could try opening your fingers against the resistance of rubber bands or in a bucket of wet sand. The bands would probably be better because you can increase the resistance. You could also try what are known as wrist press ups (push ups). You'd need to do them on a soft surface because your weight will be on the backs of your hands. You can find how to do them if you look them up. You might need to start off with your knees on the ground.

But then again, I doubt if powerlifters do these exercises and their grip is not bad.