why don't my dates blend?

carreannjoe

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but.. Every time a recipe calls for dates to be blended until smooth, I never get smooth dates. I've tried soaking them. (how long are you suppose to soak them?) and even that didn't break them up into a smooth consistency. So i made a preworkout sports drink from Thrive and it called for blended dates in there. I did this, and blended for a very long time, and there are always still chunks of dates swimming at the bottom of my drink..yuk. Is there a secret to this??

thanks!

CArre

ahhh, no vitamix..just a standard blender. Damn, more money to spend!! I'll look into one! And there definitely was enough liquid, so I guess it's my blender. Thanks!
I have a Blendtec and it struggles with dates. Tried it in thick smoothies or with little else to make a drink. Always left with chunks, and the blender gets REALLY loud trying to chop them up. Pisses me off that I paid so much.

I've got yer standard Osterizer and never suffered the Dreaded Date Chunks. My secret is picking the cushy dates: Medjools. They are a tad more expensive but they "melt" into a smoothie like butter. Their consistency is only slightly more dense than coconut oil at room temperature.

I have a trick, though. Start out by only pouring a cup of water or whatever liquid you are using into the blender. Add your nuts, flax seed, dates, protein powder, etc. to this small batch and blend on high until it is completely broken down. The higher friction of this liquids:solids ratio will assist the blender in its work. If I add my whole flax this way, I get flax powder in my beverage. If I forget to add it and toss it in last, I get the Dreaded Slimy Flax Chunks.

Baby Herc