I think I'm overtraining, need help with new regimen

So I've been working my gonads off lately in the weight lifting department, lifting 6 days a week, but different parts of the body each time. I'm thinking this might be a bit much, as I'm not putting on the mass that I feel like I should be. I am bigger now than I have ever been before but I still feel that the work I'm putting in isn't yielding the results it should be. Basically my workout each day comes in at about 45 minutes, not counting if I do cardio afterwards. My plan is to take off a week every 6-8 weeks for total recovery. Will this be enough, or should I drop a day or two from my regimen? Also, if anyone has a good routine that's worked for them (I'm just using free weights, body weights, and a pull-up bar because I work out at home), I'd love to see them. Furthermore, I am making sure I get a good amount of protein; I eat a lot of protein throughout the day in the form of tofu and beans, and I usually have two shakes, one in the morning and one at night. Again, I'm training for mass over getting lean.

Thanks in advance, I don't post often on here at all but I'm always lurking, and I know with your capable minds I'll find something that helps me succeed.

I work out seven days a week as follows:

Monday - cardio only

Tuesday - light cardio, lower body

Wednesday - light cardio, "push"

Thursday - light cardio, "pull"

Friday - light cardio, lower

Saturday - light cardio, "push"

Sunday - light cardio, "pull"

I train very heavy with a little high intensity mixed in with a considerable amount of high density (10X10s). Little rest between exercises.

At 42 years of age, my secret "weapons" are a clean plant-based diet, hydration, advanced supplementation, plenty of sleep, lighter training days as needed, and a lot of body work (Rolfing, deep tissue massage, Active Release, Graston).

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the input SpartanDiva, you seem to have a pretty active workout schedule too.

To help anyone who wants to give me input, here's my workout schedule. For all exercises I use heavy weights so that the last couple reps are really tough, do 3 sets of 4-6 reps for each exercise, except body weight exercises which are 3 sets of my max

Monday: Biceps and Triceps

Close-Grip Bench Press

BB Curl

Bench Dips

DB Curls

Overhead Incline Triceps Press

Concentration Curls

Triceps Extensions

Close Grip Chinups

Tuesday: Back

Upright Row

Shrugs

DB Shrugs (arms at sides)

Pullups: Wide Grip

Behind the Back Shrugs

Bent Over Barbell Rows

Pullups: Close Grip

Reverse Grip Bent Over Row

Barbell Lat Row

Wednesday: Chest and Shoulders

Incline Barbell Bench Press

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Bent Over DB Rear Delt Raise

Incline Dumbbell Flyes

Side Lateral Raise

Overhead Dumbbell Press

Explosive Pushups

Front Raises

Decline Pushups

Thursday: Arms

Close-Grip Bench Press

BB Curl

Bench Dips

DB Curls

Overhead Incline Triceps Press

Concentration Curls

Triceps Extensions

Close Grip Chinups

Friday: Chest and Shoulders

Incline Barbell Bench Press

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Bent Over DB Rear Delt Raise

Incline Dumbbell Flyes

Side Lateral Raises

Overhead Dumbbell Press

Explosive Pushups

Front Raises

Decline Pushups

Saturday: Back

Upright Row

Shrugs

DB Shrugs (arms at sides)

Pullups: Wide Grip

Behind the Back Shrugs

Bent Over Barbell Rows

Pullups: Close Grip

Reverse Grip Bent Over Row

Barbell Lat Row

Sunday: Abdominals and Legs

In and Outs

Crunchie Frogs

Sit-ups

Dumbbell Side Bends

Mason Twists

Goblet Squat

Dumbbell Lunges

Barbell Squats

Again, I'm looking to put on some size over slimming down. I just don't really know what's holding me back; bad routine, not enough rest days, not enough food, etc. Thanks!

EDIT: I should also address the low amount of leg exercises: I am nursing a chronic knee problem, and have fairly muscular legs anyway, I'll be adding to the leg stuff as my knees can handle it

First step what is your body type?

You can determine it here

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

I find those things really subjective sometimes, for example the wrist thing; I have GIANT fingers, they're freakishly long, so of course they overlap over my wrists. And the ones about what other people say about your weight and about whether you're the intellectual type, aggressive type, etc. That said, it came up with me being a mesomorph.

Throughout high school I was very thin, being about 5' 10" and 125 lbs. Since starting to work out and eating better I'm about 160 now, partially due to muscle and partially due to just filling out a bit. But I'm still naturally thin.

onestly I think 6 days is too much and will slow down your mass gains. Your body needs adequate rest to be putting on muscle.

Other people here have more expertise than me so hopefully they will chime in.

That's what I was figuring. Actually I've been sick so the past two days I haven't been working out and today I feel like my muscles are better rested and made some gains in the rest period. So the big question is:

Do I combine certain days' workouts together and keep them the length they are, or should I take a few exercises out so I'm not overdoing it?

Step Two

Focus on a bulking strategy according to your body type

Bulking For Ectomorphs

http://www.scivation.com/books/ectomorphs.htm

Bulking For Mesomorphs

http://www.scivation.com/books/mesomorphs.htm

Bulking For Endomorphs

http://www.scivation.com/books/endomorphs.htm

Although these free books have supplements to promote, I think the basic information is valuable.

You can veganize the diet recommendations.

There are numerous bodybuilding theories, however I gravitate towards what I personally feel are fundamentals.

If you have not read the book "Brawn" by Stuart McRobert, I would highly suggest you do.

Easily one of the best books on reality based bodybuilding!

From his experienced perspective, he would say you are over-training.

His basic philosophy is "Less is More" for those who are not genetically gifted and not using steroids.

Thanks Arion, I'll check out the book, and thanks for the advice. I reworked my plan to having two full days off, and one day where I'm just doing cardio and ab work, splitting up the week to allow for more recovery. It's time for all my work to pay off, methinks.

Thanks Arion, I'll check out the book, and thanks for the advice. I reworked my plan to having two full days off, and one day where I'm just doing cardio and ab work, splitting up the week to allow for more recovery. It's time for all my work to pay off, methinks.

That sounds much more reasonable to me. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm enjoying the new routine so far, but I've noticed I don't have the same stamina with my workouts. Then again I know a lot of folks here have shorter workouts, so that might be the way to go. I also strained my elbow somehow while doing some construction work around the house, so that might be part of it. In any event, I'm glad I reworked the whole thing, I look forward to seeing the difference between now and a the end of the year.