Alcohol!

Hi all,

I was on a family do last night, and despite not drinking much anymore (only on celebratory occasions), last night there was a little family celebration and I somehow ended up having a few to drink, despite feeling very very guilty for doing so. Prior to the drink, I had predisposed myself carb-wise to this possible drink, by missing my evening 'snack' and instead just having a protein drink.

This does not help, I am aware of the consequences of drinking whilst trying to be healthy and build some muscle, but since it was a total one off I allowed myself a few vodka/cokes.

I wonder whether training harder cardio-wise today, plus extra water, would have counteracted the effects of the alcohol+beverage consumption; perhaps not totally, but hopefully 'mostly'?

I also wondered whether since I had missed my evening snack, whether the simple sugars and ethanol would have acted like a continuous fuel (and perhaps some was stored, hence the extra cardio today) so that my muscles would have remained 'safe', so to speak?

From past experience of simply eating strictly alone (i.e, without exercise), I am very aware of how alcohol can dramatically change the reading on the scales in the morning, due to dehydration, but then what follows shortly after is an increase of a couple of pounds (of fat!). Hopefully I have counteracted this partly because of the big cardio workout today and more water drinking (I drink lots of water anyway, but today even more-so.

Any thoughts on this? I know its a slippery slope to indulge, but if I do occasionally indulge, what is the best way of counteracting the effect on my body?

Melly

Just chill out. Your guilt is going to do more damage than an occasional drink. When you do drink, just try not to go crazy eating tons of other things. Alcohol itself takes priority as fuel so everything else isn't going to be as easily oxidized, but alcohol doesn't itself convert to fat with any sort of efficiency.

Of a "vodka coke" I think the coke's going to do more damage.

Of a "vodka coke" I think the coke's going to do more damage.

Ditto.

I remember hearing somewhere that, actually, the biggest factor in the "alcohol/weight gain" correlation is it keeps your liver from oxygenating fat for energy (vis-a-vi, detoxing your blood). But that was a while ago and I could be wrong.

Chrisjs, yup, the guilt is defo playing on me abit too much right now. I have worked so hard this past few weeks, so felt abit guilty last night. However, I also enjoyed myself

Thanks for the reassurance though guys

As for coke, yes, I know this is the bigger baddy here x

Melly