How to gain weight while you are a vegetarian?

First of all let me apologize because of my English, as I have been learning it just for 2 years, so I am sure I will make some mistakes

Okay. I must admit that I am a little bit disappointed as I am 17 years old, 185 cm high (73 inch) but my weight is only 53 kg (117 pounds).

When I was younger I used to do triathlon and kung-fu but during the last 2-3 years I almost did nothing. Unfortunately I have never been muscular however I used to do a lot of sports (as I mentioned ).

Now my goal would be to gain weight min. 10kg (22 pounds).

Here are some further information about my nurture: I eat egg, but I do not eat fish. I eat dairy products too.

It is important that I cannot go to gym. I'd like to be muscular by doing push-ups and other "natural" exercises.

I would be extremely grateful if you could help me, as it would be very important for me to reach my goal.

I'd like to achieve it within 3 month. Can it be possible?

(notice: please try to be understanding and please give me detailed answers as I am just a beginner. )

Thank you in advance!

Most people here will be less willing to help you because you haven't expressed interest in becoming vegan. This is a vegan forum set up to help promote veganism by showing people that it is possible to build muscle without contributing to cruelty.

I am not comfortable encouraging you to gain weight on a diet that includes eggs and milk, but I will say some things.

You need to have more reasonable expectations. 180 cm and 53 kg is very skinny. It will probably take a few years of heavy lifting and proper eating before you are considered "muscular." It's something you have to realize from the start so that you don't get discouraged when it gets difficult.

I am 190.5 cm and 77.4 kg after almost 6 months of weight training 3x each week. While I am more muscular and much stronger than when I first started at a weight of ~69 kg, most people would not assume I lift weights at all from looking at me. It took me 6 months of hard work to look like a normal sized guy that doesn't go to the gym.

Bodyweight exercises are okay when you first start out and are fine for conditioning, but it is difficult to add resistance to them. Also, the jump in difficulty from the beginner exercises to the more advanced variations is very large. Those two facts make it difficult to make appreciable gains without access to a barbell and set of weights.

How to Get Big

Compound Exercises + Protein/Calories + Rest/Sleep = Big

Compound Exercises Using Free Weights = Squat, Dead Lift, Bench Press, Rows, Pull Up, Dips

Identify Your Body Type

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Exercise and Eat According To Body Type

Bulking For Ectomorphs

http://www.scivation.com/books/ectomorphs.htm

Bulking For Mesomorphs

http://www.scivation.com/books/mesomorphs.htm

Bulking For Endomorphs

http://www.scivation.com/books/endomorphs.htm

Compound Exercise Intensity Cycling

http://www.hardgainer.com/brawn.html

Fractional Weight Plates

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-fractional-plates-lbs.php

Vegan Power Stew Recipe

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23825

Vegan Weight Gainer Power Shake Recipe

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24333

Nutrition Formulas for Bodybuilding

The following is a general daily requirement for gaining weight and muscle.

In order to achieve these requirements, food is consumed every 2 to 3 hours in small portions.

Adding protein drinks and bars are normally added to the diet to achieve the numbers.

Minimum protein and calories, compound exercises, plus sufficient rest = weight and muscle gain

Protein

1.5 grams for each pound of body weight

Example: 150 pounds of body weight = 225 grams of protein

Calories

20 calories for each pound of body weight

Example: 150 pounds of body weight = 3,000 calories

Fat

0.5 grams for each pound of body weight

Example: 150 pounds of body weight = 75 grams of fat

Carbohydrates

2.1 grams for each pound of body weight

Example: 150 pounds of body weight = 315 grams of carbohydrates

Protein For Muscle Maintenance

0.8 to 1.2 grams for each pound of body weight

Example: 150 pounds of body weight = 120 to 180 grams of protein

Carbohydrate, Protein, Fat, Ratio

50% of calories from carbohydrates

30% of calories from protein

20% of calories from fats

References

Building Muscle on a Plant Based Diet - Robert Cheeke

http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_buildingmuscle

Nutrition Calculators

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculators.htm

Calories for Bodybuilding

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-weight-for-skinny-guys

What Arion said. Deadlift, squats, rows, etc. It is not very possible to gain weight without lifting weights. Bodyweight exercises alone don't do it. I can tell you this because I am 185 cm tall, I weigh 73-74 kilos and I do like 30 chin ups and 50 dips. I like my body and I am not trying to gain weight but if I were trying, I'd do deadlifts, squats, dumbbell/barbell rows etc. Also, you said you are 17. Take this into account as well. Do not compare yourself to older people. I think that if you focus on performance rather than weight/looks, the weight and the looks will come as a result.

If it is impossible for you to visit a gym, try challenging yourself. Aim at as many chin ups/dips/etc you can do. You could try raising the count by 5. Do some jogging. Also, if you have a training partner, there are exercises with the partner's bodyweight:) For example squats with him on your shoulders. If you could find a belt to hang some weights on your waist when you do dips/chin ups, that would help as well.

In the end, with the "natural exercises" you won't have gained the weight you thought you wanted but your body will look very symmetrical and well developed and will have some good functional strength

Also, like the old sumo wrestler said "Don't eat on an empty stomach." Eat fruit before and after the workouts and take some nuts as well.

Ohh. Thank you very much. You are very helpful.

Btw.:

I have found an interesing training: Convict Conditioning. Can it be efficient? I mean I just wan to be a little bit muscular and fit. I have read the book and I beleive it would be suitable for me. What do you think?

(+ I can go ride a bike and run)

Btw.:

I have found an interesing training: Convict Conditioning. Can it be efficient? I mean I just wan to be a little bit muscular and fit. I have read the book and I beleive it would be suitable for me. What do you think?

You can probably add a bit of mass with bodyweight stuff, but to gain 22 lbs. of mass in 3 months on any program is pretty much unrealistic for such a short amount of time. That is, without steroids - using performance enhancing drugs is about the only way to gain that kind of weight in such a short time-frame, and of course, I wouldn't recommend that.

Not to mention, going for a bike ride or run won't do anything but cause you to lose lean mass when done in excess, so those two things won't be good for any program where you're trying to gain weight.

Reasonably, I'd say that without weights, you may be able to put on 3-6 lbs. of lean mass over 3 months as a beginner by doing bodyweight-only exercises, but that's providing you're training efficiently/effectively AND eating enough to gain AND that your body will respond well to bodyweight training alone. That's a lot of "ands" to factor in, so IF there's a way to get your hands on a barbell setup or some dumbbells, you'll greatly increase your chances of gaining mass.

One last thing to remember, many of the bodyweight exercise gurus have also built their physiques using weight training, but may be making claims that they did it without weights altogether. It is MUCH easier to maintain mass once you have it than it is to gain, I could likely keep what I have with bodyweight exercises at this point, but would have a hell of a time gaining much, if anything at all.

Btw.:

You can probably add a bit of mass with bodyweight stuff, but to gain 22 lbs. of mass in 3 months on any program is pretty much unrealistic for such a short amount of time. That is, without steroids - using performance enhancing drugs is about the only way to gain that kind of weight in such a short time-frame, and of course, I wouldn't recommend that.

Not to mention, going for a bike ride or run won't do anything but cause you to lose lean mass when done in excess, so those two things won't be good for any program where you're trying to gain weight.

Reasonably, I'd say that without weights, you may be able to put on 3-6 lbs. of lean mass over 3 months as a beginner by doing bodyweight-only exercises, but that's providing you're training efficiently/effectively AND eating enough to gain AND that your body will respond well to bodyweight training alone. That's a lot of "ands" to factor in, so IF there's a way to get your hands on a barbell setup or some dumbbells, you'll greatly increase your chances of gaining mass.

One last thing to remember, many of the bodyweight exercise gurus have also built their physiques using weight training, but may be making claims that they did it without weights altogether. It is MUCH easier to maintain mass once you have it than it is to gain, I could likely keep what I have with bodyweight exercises at this point, but would have a hell of a time gaining much, if anything at all.

Thank you. I have read that I should get as much protein as I can. This person who has written it recommends me that I should buy a product which provides me protein. (He doesn't mention any brands) What do you think? Because he says that it isn't unhealthy, it is totally natural so it can't be harmful for my body in addition it will be extremely efficient.

I have found one: 100% Whey Protein? They say it is the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Whey? You won't get many recommendations for whey on this forum....

It takes a lot of hard training, not necessarilly high volume and high frequency....but when you do train, it needs to be intense, lots of free weights, compoune movements. I am 205 lbs so believe me, it takes a lot of calories and protein. I struggle sometimes to get over 4,000 calories and over 300 grams of protein....but you will find you need to in order to gain solid muscle. You also need to make sure you get good sleep. I get 8 or more hours a night.