Hemp-fu!

SpartanDiva

No, this is not a new style of MMA. It's an alternative to soy-based tofu. I actually love tofu; but the more that I read about the phytin and other potential estrogenic issues, the more I want to stay away from it.

Blend 2 cups of shelled, chopped hemp seed in 3 cups of purified water for approximately a minute, until you have a thick, rich cream. Pour the cream into a large pan, and turn the heat to medium. Curds will start to form quickly. Stir occasionally. Once it starts to boil, keep it at a gentle boil for around 5 minutes. Line a colander with cheesecloth, and drain. Allow to cool, and squeeze the remaining liquid out. Put the curds into a small container, and press. Keep refrigerated.

I haven't tried a tofu press yet. However, the curds have a little bit of a grainy texture and may not form a block. Hemp-fu is a good substitute for scrambled eggs, makes a good pudding, and works well in salads and on pasta. The flavor is pretty much bland, with a slightly earthy-sweet essence.

I also noticed that if you are impatient and boil the living snot out of the hemp-fu, the curds are larger. Since the smaller curds are more elegant, I get busy with other cooking preparations and multitask.