How many calories

Greetings, I am new to the site and the vegan bodybuilding world. I decided to go vegan 2 weeks ago for heatlh purposes. I had concerns about losing muscle and strength. After 2 weeks I have great energy and deadlifted 455lbs during my last work out. I am currently 275lbs and only carry fat around my waist ( love handles, etc. ) I am Big and have been lifting for about eight years now. My question is about calorie intake on a vegan diet. It seems like I have to eat a lot of calories to get my protein requirmensts. I am supplimenting with rice/ pea protein. Tofu is out of the question....just can't do it. Should I continue to lose body fat on a vegan diet with a higher caloric intake than on a standard diet? thanks for any input.

• 4 weeks later...

You can get lots of protein and calories through beans/legumes (chickpeas/garbanzo beans, black beans, lentils, etc). Quinoa (a grain) is also really high in protein and calories; you can find it at most regular grocery stores in the natural foods section, and it tastes amazing.

Good luck as you continue your vegan diet!

Thanks for the response. I am a couple of months into my plant based diet. I have discovered a new world of eating and cooking. I feel like a million dollars. I have lost about 15 lbs, although I have lost some strength. I have not taken blood pressure medicine in a month and when I checked it the other BP was 119/68.