Vegan friendly products

Crash

When I was a new vegan, I didn't think much about the products I was using, just what I was eating and wearing. I don't know if anyone else has posted this stuff, but figure some may be interested to know what products and brands do not test on animals and pretty much don't have animal products in them.

Anyhow:

Toiletries:

Soap - J/A/S/O/N Aloe Vera Face & Body Soap

Shampoo & Conditioner - Nature's Gate brand (usually original)

For really dry hair put on the ends - Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil

Body Lotion - J/A/S/ON(different scents, but currently Vitamin E)

Face Lotion - Avalon Organics Coenzyme Q10

Toothpaste - Tom of Maine's brand

Deodorant - Combo of Crystal Spray and a Tom of Maine's brand

Toner - Reviva LabsGlycolic Facial Toner or Avalon OrganicsFacial Toner

Make Up:

Aveda

Brushes - Get good brushes from a vegan source as most of the brushes that I've gotten with blush just fall apart.

Please everyone else list what products and things you use.

Garden Botanika has vegan Taklon-bristle make-up brushes . They also don't do animal tests (or have them done), but I'm not sure if all their products are vegan (maybe honey in some?) . www.gardenbotanika.com .

Arbonne is a Swiss-based company that has no animal testing and no animal ingredients, EXCEPT their brushes are made from goat hair (I've been assured that the hair is procured in a humane manner, as part of their natural molting process, but anytime animals are kept in captivity to produce something for humans, you've got to wonder what happens to the offspring, and what happens when they have outlived their "usefulness").

Some JASON products are NOT vegan (there is milk protein, at least, in some of their shampoos).

Oooh, didn't know that about Jason's shampoos -- thanks ! Also be careful about nature's gate lotions as I've been recently advised that some of their lotions are not vegan either. The Reviva Labs product I've mentioned is vegan, but it has products that are not vegan (honey or milk derivatives in them), so watch your ingredients.

I've listed links so you can research the products and know what you are looking for, but most of these products can be gotten at a health food store (I get most of my products at the Vitamin Shoppe). If your health food store doesn't carry them, there are a few fine on-line companies that can help you with your requirements as well.

Origins has animal free brushes & some animal free makeup. Bare Escentuals mineral products (face powder, blush, eye shadow) are vegan. I do not know about their other cosmetics, skin care, lotions or hair products.

Crash, thanks for the tip on Aveda. There is a local store that sells Aveda -- I will check it out.

I had an environmental issue with Arbonne. I ordered 3 lipsticks & received my order in a box that was 1 foot by 1 foot. To make matters worse, it had some kind of pumped-in silver covered foam that wasn't recycleable. I was so angry at the excessive packaging I returned the order with a letter stating why. Holy crap, if you are going to sell small items, have the correct packaging on hand to do so. Excessive packaging is a pet peeve of mine.

And of course, I have to put my plug in for Aubery-Organics products. IMHO, the finest products skin & hair care products on the market! However, they do have a few that are not vegan -- a collegen lotion & one of their face powders.

Ecco Bella makes an entire line of cosmetic brushes that are synthetic rather than animal hair, and from what I hear they're quite good (I don't have much use for them myself )

As for the Nature's Gate lotions that may not be vegan, do you have information on which ones are said to be containing animal ingredients? This is news to me - I've researched many of their items and have not found much in the way of any of their items being non-vegan, so I wonder if this is true or simply a misunderstanding of ingredients with ambiguous names (such as diazolidinyl urea, which can be from animal sources but is always synthetic in the Nature's Gate products). If you have any details on this it would be great so I can check in with the chemists at NG and see if this is true or just a misunderstanding. Thanks!

Ryan

I had an environmental issue with Arbonne. I ordered 3 lipsticks & received my order in a box that was 1 foot by 1 foot. To make matters worse, it had some kind of pumped-in silver covered foam that wasn't recycleable. I was so angry at the excessive packaging I returned the order with a letter stating why. Holy crap, if you are going to sell small items, have the correct packaging on hand to do so. Excessive packaging is a pet peeve of mine.

Never heard of Arbonne doing that one before, but it doesn't surprise me much. They're a multi-level-marketing program first and foremost, and the veganism aspect is quite secondary once you start looking into how they work. When we were considering selling their line (before being told that you have to operate as an agent rather than being able to just offer it in a store - how stupid is that?!? It was all about making sure the people up the ladder got their percentage for all items you bought and sold!) we used to get these really irritating emails from the local sales director in our area about how rich everyone was going to get from selling Arbonne. It all came down to that the only thing they spoke of when we'd get on their terrible email lists was money, no mention of ethics or anything else. It was money, money, money that we'd hear about but nobody once seemed to have a concern as to what they were selling, only that they wanted to convince everyone that you'd get rich from it. It became sort of a coincidentally-vegan Mary Kay operation of sorts once we were exposed to it, and that's not the kind of stuff I want to offer. Once we started to see it this way we scrapped all plans to offer the line and that was that. Too bad, though - some of their cosmetics seemed like they were decent quality, but when they put you through the ringer and want to make sure that you fall into your place on the ladder of who-gets-their-cut-from-your-sales it loses the attraction.

Never heard of Arbonne doing that one before, but it doesn't surprise me much. ... It all came down to that the only thing they spoke of when we'd get on their terrible email lists was money, no mention of ethics or anything else. It was money, money, money that we'd hear about but nobody once seemed to have a concern as to what they were selling, only that they wanted to convince everyone that you'd get rich from it. It became sort of a coincidentally-vegan Mary Kay operation of sorts once we were exposed to it, and that's not the kind of stuff I want to offer. Once we started to see it this way we scrapped all plans to offer the line.

I signed up as a consultant, just to get the 30% off and the free $100 worth of products on a first order, etc., etc. (their products really are very good--except, as I said, for the goat-hair brushes). And they sent me all this 'motivational stories of other consultats' and crap about how I could earn a BMW (or a Mercedes, I forget...whatever it is, I wouldn't replace my Prius with it) and earn this much money, bla bla bla.

Seems if they got rid of their pyramid scheme (and the "free car for X amount of sales" promotion) they could sell the products for 50% less than they do!

As for the Nature's Gate lotions that may not be vegan, do you have information on which ones are said to be containing animal ingredients? This is news to me - I've researched many of their items and have not found much in the way of any of their items being non-vegan, so I wonder if this is true or simply a misunderstanding of ingredients with ambiguous names (such as diazolidinyl urea, which can be from animal sources but is always synthetic in the Nature's Gate products). If you have any details on this it would be great so I can check in with the chemists at NG and see if this is true or just a misunderstanding. Thanks!

Ryan

Well I'm not 100% certain, because my statement came from this source- and I should have checked it out first . What I did find in looking at the ingredients of some Nature's Gate Products, was that their Petal Fresh Noni C-Plex Cream and some of its toothpastes contain calcium, but doesn’t state the source. Also, their Rainwater Herbal Henna Shampoo and Conditioner each contain honey. Do you know or can you find out what their calcium is derived from Ryan ? It would be greatly appreciated !

Also, does anyone know of a lip liner that provides good coverage and is kiss-proof ? If not, does anyone know if Milani's lip liners are vegan (Does the company test on animals and are its ingredients cruelty free) ? The company is not listed on either of the lists for companies that test and companies that do not test.

Dandylioness I love KMF's Apricot lotion. Have you tried their Anti-Stress Bath Gel ?

Thanks everyone for the vegan brush tips.

Also, does anyone know of a lip liner that provides good coverage and is kiss-proof ?

Oh, man, if only! There are some good vegan lipliners and lipsticks, but they are usually softer than the regular kissy-proof ones. Maybe a messy face is nice once in a while?

Hey, Crash!

The Noni C-Plex had a mineral-derived calcium, but it is no longer in production so unfortunately that item is gone for good. If I recall correctly, the toothpastes had calcium carbonate sourcing as well, as I know that the ones we carry from them are completly vegan because all sourcing for such vitamins is mineral-based. I haven't checked into the shampoo with honey, but obviously that one isn't vegan (many companies don't consider honey to be an "animal ingredient" and do not list it as such, unfortunately). Other than honey or beeswax sneaking into an item, quite possibly all other NG products are safe for consumtion, but if in doubt, check it out! The lesson I always pass on - when you contact a company, ask to speak with a chemist. They're often the only people who can give accurate information on ingredient sourcing (they take pride in their knowledge and don't have pre-formed scripts that they read answer from as most customer service people do), so they're the best resource for contact when you investigate ingredients!

Some products I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Lamas beauty (skin care): vegan with the exception of one or two products with pearl in (clearly labeled). No animal testing.

Ojon hair care (available from www.qvc.com ). These products are all based on the oils from a nut that only grows somewhere in South America (?). The company pays the people who live their to harvest and prepare it for them. No animal ingredients, no animal testing. Kind of pricey (especially for the shampoo and conditioner), but all you need is the original hair treatment, which you can use once a week or so as a hair mask, or take a tiny bit of and use as a daily conditioner.

ABBA hair care. I found some in a local overstock store. The products are vegan certified.

Maybe a messy face is nice once in a while?

I would think most men would agree with that statement.

I know when I'm getting in a hot-n-heavy mood my makeup is the last thing I think about!

Haha! Well, it would be a surprise. I'm used to most people not agreeing with my statements

Funny, I've been told by several men that they find thick or heavy lipstick a turn off when they want to kiss someone. Of course, it looks nice, but when it comes time to lock lips, they find the idea of kissing all that goop unappetizing

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/SMILEYS/makeout.gif