valentine's day interview

wannalift

i have an interview for a new job tomorrow. not too stressed about it because they were the ones who contacted me and i always tend to shine in an interview. its not my dream job by any means, but its a good job and spending my afternoons watching boy meets world isn't ecactly how i pictured my mid 20's to be

What kind of job is it bro?

When I worked as a youth supervisor on a cruise ship in Europe, my job was to travel around to 15 European countries, play playstation video games with kids, dress up in costumes and act out characters, read stories to kids, play basketball and other sports, and eat all the free food I wanted. Now that was a win-win situation!

Jobs like those are good for certain periods of time, then it's time to get back to reality and the real world.

-Rob

I have an interview this friday and I really couldn't give a fuck anymore.

That about sums up my attitude on jobs, too!

I once worked for a man who, in my interview, answered my question regarding how much overtime would be required with: The only reason any of us works is to support our private lives.

Spot on!

Hey wannalift, what happened with that last job anyway? (If you don't mind talking about it.)

Well my interview was pleasant enough. They might call me back to give a presentation in a couple of weeks but I bet they won't. I think I come across as unconfident and that makes potential employers very unsure about me. That can't be helped though as my last boss so totally fucked me. I'd have to be nuts to be confident.

Well my wife got a job. Hell she got three really. Took her two weeks from putting out resumes to get offered what looks like an awesome job. She limited her search to 30 mile radius of Fairmont, WV which is a horrendous place to be looking for a job. She has no college ed. OTOH I'm a little short of a PhD and have been looking for 5 months searching the entire country.

I blame Ayn Rand. She got me all motivated to purposely choose a really hard college major. I've been pretty much miserable ever since.

Oh well, my writing is going great.

jay,

my story was a little like yours. i got totally fucked over by conservatives that i worked with. the "liberal" person (possibly the biggest dickhead i've ever met), who was also a vegetarian that worked out a lot, fucked me over even harder. no warning, just took me in the office and told me everone thought i was not "getting it" and "wasn't right for the job". little to no evidence to back it up, but it didn't matter. wasn't really about my job performance, but they spun it to make it seem like it was.

i'm over it already. not much of an opportunity to advacne there. plus not being on the road lets me train with my team 4 days a week. interview went okay. should find out something this week. sorry about the language, but it was necessary to accurately describe the circumstance.

Grrrr....

Sorry to hear about your experience, wannalift. It really is more about who you know than what you know. If you fit in, poor performance is frequently overlooked. If you don't fit in, but your performance is stellar, it won't matter. If they don't like you, they'll find a way to oust you.

Just my cynical view of the corporate world.

wannalift so sorry to hear about your experience.

I'm sure a year from now you'll look back and say, "wow, good thing I didn't get that job because I wouldn't have the one I have now!".....oh yes, and SeaSiren told me so, because she knows everything.

I hope you find the job that is ment to be yours very soon.

But for now, go pout, scream, rant, and get it out.

• 3 weeks later...

needless to say i haven't heard anything encouraging from that interview. thats actually good news because it lead to the interview i had today which i can only describe as a "dream interview" with one of the best environmental engineering firms in the country. it went so well it doesn't even seem real. i originally responded because they had positions open in atomospheric source testing, but while i was being interviewed the vice-president told me how he had a lot more in mind for me. it was as if somehow my resume matched exactly with the criteria and personalities that they were most interested in. i saw 4 or 5 different people and was told i would hear back from them very soon. finally some good news in an otherwise downhill year for me. i'll keep you all updated as to what transpires.

needless to say i haven't heard anything encouraging from that interview. thats actually good news because it lead to the interview i had today which i can only describe as a "dream interview" with one of the best environmental engineering firms in the country. it went so well it doesn't even seem real. i originally responded because they had positions open in atomospheric source testing, but while i was being interviewed the vice-president told me how he had a lot more in mind for me. it was as if somehow my resume matched exactly with the criteria and personalities that they were most interested in. i saw 4 or 5 different people and was told i would hear back from them very soon. finally some good news in an otherwise downhill year for me. i'll keep you all updated as to what transpires.

That is very encouraging news, I am so happy for you! I love to hear vegans/compassionate and environmentally realistic people infiltrate the environmental industrial complex!

Go gettem' wannalift.

Edited by compassionategirl

• 1 month later...

it took longer than expected, but i finally got my offer from the dream company yesterday. i'll start next monday with the title of Senior Engineering Technician. getting fired (unjustifiably) from my last job was the best thing that ever happened to me

nice! congratulations! come celebrate by coming to our vegan potluck tomorrow! i know i know, short notice, sorry...been a bit overwhelmed here...in any case, we're having about 8 people over for a potluck tomorrow at our home in Squirrel Hill. I'll send you a PM with our phone numbers!