Post workout - Soy Concentrate/Isolate ??

wrestler

Folks - I want to make a transition from Whey to Soy for post workout protein shakes. & I am not talking about any meals, just post workout Shakes .. Soy is lot cheaper than whey,here in India but,

1. Which is better - Soy concentrate/isolate ? (Isolates are obviously very costly). Is the Soy concentrate protein less efficiently absorbed ?

2. Can Soy protein powders be taken in plain water ?

1. The difference between an isolate and a concentrate is just the % of calories from protein in the powder. For example, concentrate usually only gets 70-80% of it's calories from protein, while isolate is 90-95% usually. Of course people want more 'protein' in their protein powder, so isolate is more expensive, but not usually by much.

2. I haven't found a soy protein powder that was good enough to just take with water, but maybe your taste buds are more adaptable than mine! At a minimum I would recommend some soy milk or juice, and it would probably be best to make a shake or smoothie, if you really care about taste...

Thanks FH !!

I had given up taste looong back for strength & power. I have heard that in Soy concentrates still contain protein inhibitors & these are removed in Isolates. So, is it the fact that not just % calories from protein, the protein absorption is more in isolates. Im slightly worried, cos i want to shift to Soy post workout (avoid Whey , cos they use enzyme called 'Calf Rennet'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennet to produce Whey) .

I usually carry my powder (whey presently) in a shaker & take it immediately after workout in the gym itself. So, i prefer to use water with Soy, if it should work...

I don't know about the inhibitors, but if you just want to use water then make sure you spend a bit more and get a powder that has a well-rated taste, probably something with a sweetener in it. I'm not sure of a great brand, since I go for the cheap unflavored stuff, but I'm sure some members here have experience!