Improving Running Speed?

AlexNLP

So while I am waiting for my body to rebuild my rib (or waiting to recover from my rib injury).

I am wondering what's works best for you for improving your speed/pace of running ?

So far I've tried Sprinting, Fartleck. I have to admit that due to injuries I did them only for a short period time.

It probably psychological adaptation as it seems I am always automatically going back to the same running tempo. Maybe I should also try running downhills ?

Anybody was able to improve running pace drastically? what kinda program did you use ?

I've been running for couple years now. What I did mostly is to raise my mileage. but I noticed my long distance pace stayed more or less the same. I can run faster when sprinting. But what I am looking for is a pace improvement. It's probably a matter of pushing myself out of the comfort zone.

My running experience is limited lately due to overtraining discomfort the past year. What I'm trying right now is running a specific distance until I get my desired average pace (4:00/km). Then I increase my distance 10+% and do the same. I'm treating it like lifting weights pretty much. I hole it works. But that way I can get out of my comfort zone gradually until it's comfortable then increase.

My running experience is limited lately due to overtraining discomfort the past year. What I'm trying right now is running a specific distance until I get my desired average pace (4:00/km). Then I increase my distance 10+% and do the same. I'm treating it like lifting weights pretty much. I hole it works. But that way I can get out of my comfort zone gradually until it's comfortable then increase.

I think that might be the best way to push myself out of the comfort zone. Once I'm back to training I'll keep my distance pretty short and try this for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like others have said interval training is key. When I was training for a 3 mile run this summer I, at first, would run 6-8 miles and push myself every inch. Then I went reduced my mileage to a 2.2 mile run each time I ran. Overall I found setting a goal like 3 miles in 17 mins or something like that to help.

• 1 year later...

Aside from that I find hill repeats to be quite beneficial as is splitting your workout into "3's":

Say you are running 12km, split the workout in 3 sections:

** First 4km you run slightly under race pace

** Second 4km you run at race pace

** Third 4km you run slightly over race pace

Over time this gets you used to a number of factors including being able to handle an increase in pace throughout your run, being able to gauge your pace well and also towards the end of the session it trains your body to continue running on tired legs. All useful training variables, and all of which will help you to become a better, faster runner

Hi Alex,

Set some goals and combine your exercises with proper diet meal plan. Keep your running log, listen to your body and check your pulse. Don't forget to increase mileage/duration of running to increase stamina and strength.

• 1 month later...

How to get faster? Run with better runners. Track your times over the same course in the same conditions. Invest in a garmin and upload to strava.

My 10k gps measured time on similar flat course went from 40:31 to 34:19 in 4 years of consistently running at least 10miles a week. Same bodyweight btw.

My 10k gps measured time on similar flat course went from 40:31 to 34:19 in 4 years of consistently running at least 10miles a week. Same bodyweight btw.

Whoa, So you shaved 6mins off your 10km time and you did that on what looks like really low mileage training weeks? Can I ask what a typical week looked like for you and your what your minimum/maximum weekly miles were? Thanks MF.