Supination and running

Vegercize

I have started running in the last 4-5 weeks and get a niggling pain in my right ankle (on the outside of my achilles)

I did the wet feet test dipping my feet in water and standing on some paper and my right foot has a very very high arch. I feel when i run that i'm landing on the outside of my foot and it's not rolling inward as it should, hence the pain.

Does anyone know a solution for this? Over time will the muscles accommodate, get stronger and get less sore? I am trying to land more on the ball of my foot, but over a 30min run I lose focus on this and tend to go back to my usual running style.

I have correct shoes for supinators, although they don't have much arch support at all. Maybe an insole or orthodic would help?

Otherwise I'll go see a podiatrist I suppose. Thanks for your help

I have started running in the last 4-5 weeks and get a niggling pain in my right ankle (on the outside of my achilles)

I did the wet feet test dipping my feet in water and standing on some paper and my right foot has a very very high arch. I feel when i run that i'm landing on the outside of my foot and it's not rolling inward as it should, hence the pain.

Does anyone know a solution for this? Over time will the muscles accommodate, get stronger and get less sore? I am trying to land more on the ball of my foot, but over a 30min run I lose focus on this and tend to go back to my usual running style.

I have correct shoes for supinators, although they don't have much arch support at all. Maybe an insole or orthodic would help?

Otherwise I'll go see a podiatrist I suppose. Thanks for your help

That's a typical pain that many beginners have. It takes time for Achilles muscles to get longer.

You should build your running more gradually and let your legs adapt! Believe me it's better to be patient than create an injury that can last for a long time.

30 minutes running that's quite a lot for somebody that isn't used to running regularly.

My advice would be to rest for couple days till you are pain free. And then start with shorter runs and increase gradually.

You said you are trying to land on the ball of your foot. Are you trying to do Forefoot Running ?

If so you can find info about Forefoot techniques like Pose and Chi Running.

It takes time till a new running technique becomes automatic just keep doing it. That's another reason to do shorter runs. Also it's better to have minimalist shoes for Forefoot Running cause they are much lighter and don't have that big heel.

Yah you've definitely got to start light. Running for a minute walking for a minute and so forth. Even before you start running continuously. We like to think we're still 5 when it comes to this. But were not.

Are you heal striking or midfoot striking ?(Mid foot is healthier read the book CHI RUNNING, heel striking is unnatural and terrible for the body it only became in fashion after the invention of cushy running shoes.)

You can get running shoes specifically to assist you with the supination or you can do what I did. I trained "barefoot" and you get an actual sense of what your feet are doing and learn to adjust (no matter what conventional science says about this the idea we have control over such things are false, I know this personally). Having that sensory feedback can make a huge difference. But you have to start over again if you begin running this way.

30 minutes is too much if you just started... You'll injure yourself (this I also know from experience).

Thanks guys. Yea I started with the run/walk thing... it's been about five weeks. But yea once I could run for 10mins I did bump it up pretty quickly.

I was hoping that in time the Achilles would get stronger/longer as you mentioned. I have had two days off and it feels back to normal again, so perhaps i'll go back to 8mins run/ 5mins walk or something like that for a few more weeks.

I put a small insole in my shoes today and went for a walk and they feel a lot better with a small amount of arch support. I am definitely mid-foot striking but feel as though i'm landing on the outside of my right foot (it doesn't roll in and pronate like it should)

I remember a few years back when I was running a bit I did a 60min barefoot run on the beach in the hard sand. I was mid-foot striking (and could feel the perfect contact with the ground and my foot) and those runs left me with zero pain!

Where do you do your bare-foot running? I'm no-where near a beach now... maybe using something like vibrams as a complement to shoes?

Thanks guys. Yea I started with the run/walk thing... it's been about five weeks. But yea once I could run for 10mins I did bump it up pretty quickly.

I was hoping that in time the Achilles would get stronger/longer as you mentioned. I have had two days off and it feels back to normal again, so perhaps i'll go back to 8mins run/ 5mins walk or something like that for a few more weeks.

I put a small insole in my shoes today and went for a walk and they feel a lot better with a small amount of arch support. I am definitely mid-foot striking but feel as though i'm landing on the outside of my right foot (it doesn't roll in and pronate like it should)

I remember a few years back when I was running a bit I did a 60min barefoot run on the beach in the hard sand. I was mid-foot striking (and could feel the perfect contact with the ground and my foot) and those runs left me with zero pain!

Where do you do your bare-foot running? I'm no-where near a beach now... maybe using something like vibrams as a complement to shoes?

It may take couple months for muscles to get longer and stronger. Do NOT bump your distance so fast.

When I started running I earned myself a long injury that kept me from running a whole year. You don't want this to happen. Sometimes you can feel ok but you are hitting your muscles pretty hard and it may create an injury. I agree with ForwardConcern Raising your distance 10% is a good way to go.

Barefoot running can be great but remember to do it very gradually. Before going Barefoot you can try transition minimalist shoes. To name a few good minimalist shoes, Altra, Merrell trail glove, Saucony Hattori, Mizuno Wave Universe 3, Saucony Shay XC2. Some of them are Zero Drop maybe that's what you need.

Here is a good guide for minimalist shoes: http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/runbloggers-guide-to-minimalist-running.html

Noted. Thanks for your help guys. So backing off seems to be the key. I am coming from cycling where you can jump from 20 to 200miles within a a few months... but it's low impact so injury isn't such an issue. I'm eager

My aim was to complete a 5km race but i'll aim to do it at the end of the year and give myself a bit more time.

I will look into the minimalist shoes also, as I have said previously when running barefoot I actually felt a lot better, no aches and pains.

The best thing about running... you can do it anywhere! I have been travelling a lot and you can't drag a bike with you everywhere.

Noted. Thanks for your help guys. So backing off seems to be the key. I am coming from cycling where you can jump from 20 to 200miles within a a few months... but it's low impact so injury isn't such an issue. I'm eager

My aim was to complete a 5km race but i'll aim to do it at the end of the year and give myself a bit more time.

I will look into the minimalist shoes also, as I have said previously when running barefoot I actually felt a lot better, no aches and pains.

The best thing about running... you can do it anywhere! I have been travelling a lot and you can't drag a bike with you everywhere.

Ye, the impact when running is totally different compared to cycling. Also different muscles are used. And when running on hard surfaces it takes them a good amount of time to really adapt. But it's better to take it slow when training for your first race so you can do many more in the future. Simple fact is that our legs had millions of years of evolution. They are much better in absorbing the impact than any shoe created in the last couple years. It's better to improve technique and muscles over wasting time with orthodics and cushioning shoes that actually can make your muscles weaker.

SO I was in sports chalet getting some gloves (heading to Chicago from California for a trip... Brrrr) and I impulse purchased a pair of these http://www.myoutdoorwarehouse.com/New-Balance-Womens-WR10GY-Shoes/dp/B005C1ILWQ?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

I couldn't resist... these are $200 in Australia, so cheap!

Anyway after bounding around the store they feel really good. I can feel my feet hitting the surface, which to me really helps with mid-foot striking. They also feel a bit thicker on the outside sole which rolls my foot in a tad, fingers crossed will help stop supination!

Love the thin sole!

I know you said you did BF running before, but this video helped me a lot after 2 years of shoed running. Now I go BF on sidewalks/ streets in my town. It really isn't as bad as you'd think after you get some calluses and get the right form. This may help with your high arc considering when you do BF running your form becomes more natural and doesn't put any emphasis on the heel.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. So I have had the minimalist shoes for over 2 weeks now and have done 5-6runs with them. First two times my Achilles were even tighter and more painful. I let them recover completely before running again (3-4days). Now 2 weeks on, I ran 30min yesterday with zero pain during and after the run. Success! I scaled back the time also (did 15-20mins). Lots of stretching too. I have added 5mins during the run with bare feet... feels good!

I'm only adding 5-10mins per week now. Thanks for the tips!

• 2 months later...
To name a few good minimalist shoes, Altra, Merrell trail glove, Saucony Hattori, Mizuno Wave Universe 3, Saucony Shay XC2.

Where can I get a Merrell trail glove for cheap? Is this forum also offering those kinds of bids?

I wanna know if they sell one cheaper.. =)

------------------------------------------------------

Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.

Reserving the right to ignore stupid.

The answer is no, I won't explain myself.

almar.