I hurt my neck - any advice?

jungleinthefrunk

OK So I woke up this morning and got up and brushed my teeth fine. I was getting dressed for running and boom ridiculous pain in my neck when I turn it to the left side. Tried to jog from one side of the room to the other to kind of test it and it killed. Laid back down, hurt to turn over and I had to literally pick my head up to get out of bed. I have a heating pad on now and it hurts to lift my arm to adjust it. This happened to me once ten years ago when I quickly turned my neck but this time I can't pin point what I did...I assume I slept on it wrong? I did heavy deadlifting earlier in the week but it's not like I haven't done that before...and I felt fine after two subsequent workouts...has anyone had this? What is it, what is the best treatment and how long does it take to go away? The word rest is not in my vocabulary and I'm really pissed off. I can't remember the last time I sat in my damn house all day.

I get a neck/trapezius strain a few times each year, usually after a good session of shrugs or deadlifts. Not always on the same day, sometimes a few days afterward. I usually feel it from where the trapezius connects just below the ear at the base of the skull running down to my shoulder, can usually turn my head one way but not the other and quick movements hurt, even if my head is facing forward. For me, it lasts about a day, sometimes a bit of residual pain on day two, but goes away fairly quickly. Heat helps, ibuprofen works better, but only rest for a day or two will get rid of it completely if it's similar to what I get on occasion.

Rest Rest Rest. I suggest the swinging of your arms during running wouldn't help.

Having a few days off isn't going to affect your performance in any way, especially if you have been training consistently. If you make it worse you could be off exercise for a lot longer.

Take it as a welcomed break to do something other than exercising, difficult I know...