Bulking phase

I might make a requirement that whenever I have a day off and I'm working on my computer, that you have to update - loved everything about this entry (and not just because of the shout-out). Loved the insight into your thoughts - particularly about the eating carbs before bed, your description of the bus passengers, and how Wender's emphasizes the importance of every single rep as well as form - even though I'm only testing, reading over the handbook constantly has really put me in the zone to train smarter. It's amazing how effective it is to work with that kind of mindset.

You've inspired me to try my hand at Krock rows today after testing my OHP. I know the relative heaviness of the weight will be determined by thought but I'll be interested to see how many reps I can bang out with, say, 20s. I think it'll be a nice way to end my testing week.

Interesting that our conversation has pushed you toward wide-grip chin-ups, I've been playing around with grips on pulls/chins all week because we were talking about it.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fri-9th-Match cycle 3 week 1 (3x5)

Couldn't take my foam roller with me today. Picking supplies up after the gym so no room in my bag. Warmed up with  mobility, stretching, lunges, body weight squats ect & lighter sets.

Squats: 80kg 92.5kg 105kg

Assistance:

Good mornings (programmed assistance 3x10) 40kg 47.5kg 57.5kg

Ghr & reverse hypers both 3x10

An circuit: leg raises, side bends, hanging leg raises & cable crunch.

With the end of week one in cycle 3 also means a break in play. I'm away next week Mon-Fri so won't train. I have internally battled about hitting Mondays lift Sunday & Tuesdays lift Monday so I don't need to go in after work on the evening Mon/Tues . Essentially getting a day in front.

This is just an excuse to not take an actual week off, which I haven't done since August last year, not missing a session. So it's time to rest & let my back (which is feeling tight) take a break.

I'm planning on taking no supps all week besides some protein & a bar for a snack each day. X2 scoops morning & before bed.

As much as I don't want to I need to do it....I tell people about how important rest is. Practice what you preach & all that

I might make a requirement that whenever I have a day off and I'm working on my computer, that you have to update - loved everything about this entry (and not just because of the shout-out). Loved the insight into your thoughts - particularly about the eating carbs before bed, your description of the bus passengers, and how Wender's emphasizes the importance of every single rep as well as form - even though I'm only testing, reading over the handbook constantly has really put me in the zone to train smarter. It's amazing how effective it is to work with that kind of mindset.

You've inspired me to try my hand at Krock rows today after testing my OHP. I know the relative heaviness of the weight will be determined by thought but I'll be interested to see how many reps I can bang out with, say, 20s. I think it'll be a nice way to end my testing week.

Interesting that our conversation has pushed you toward wide-grip chin-ups, I've been playing around with grips on pulls/chins all week because we were talking about it.

I think I'll give the blogging a bit of a go more regularly. My brains pretty random at times so i'll to put my thoughts through a mental "sieve" before I post

Once back from my break I may need a tighter grip on calories. Not  that I'am one to over obsess but saying that I'am now up to roughly 187lb & for now I think it's heavy enough for what I'm moving a round. 

So it maybe I go with the idea of a extra meal on lifting days & monitoring it on days off. Will have a think over the coming week.

I may also roll with the idea of pairing upper/lower days on the 5/3/1 deload week. To allow more recovery & also the fact going in 4 times a week to do minimal work seems a waste of energy. I could go in, train well twice & get it all done....worth trying for a cycle at least.

I watched some guys using the pull up assistance machine yesterday. I'm yet to see a anyone do an actual chin but with assistance. People let the weight push them up via the knees & they'll then do a lite pull at the end. Can't explain it well but you must know what I mean...

How are the chins coming along? Manage to try hammer grips?

Ps I had to buy a large hoodie yesterday

I think I'll give the blogging a bit of a go more regularly. My brains pretty random at times so i'll to put my thoughts through a mental "sieve" before I post

Once back from my break I may need a tighter grip on calories. Not  that I'am one to over obsess but saying that I'am now up to roughly 187lb & for now I think it's heavy enough for what I'm moving a round. 

So it maybe I go with the idea of a extra meal on lifting days & monitoring it on days off. Will have a think over the coming week.

I may also roll with the idea of pairing upper/lower days on the 5/3/1 deload week. To allow more recovery & also the fact going in 4 times a week to do minimal work seems a waste of energy. I could go in, train well twice & get it all done....worth trying for a cycle at least.

I watched some guys using the pull up assistance machine yesterday. I'm yet to see a anyone do an actual chin but with assistance. People let the weight push them up via the knees & they'll then do a lite pull at the end. Can't explain it well but you must know what I mean...

How are the chins coming along? Manage to try hammer grips?

Ps I had to buy a large hoodie yesterday

I usually exercise some restraint when it comes to what I post - my v-logs were a little less, well, tamed since a lot of it was off-the-cuff. I need to do a "final" one about it all since I decided 3/4 of the way through that it was far too unstructured to be continued/I'd made my point in my mind that it didn't really matter what I ate, just that I did. Which is why it just turned into me ranting about all kinds of nonsense.

Are you still putting on mass with how you're eating or just weight at this point? I know you're smart enough to just ride it out without putting on excess fat - just curious. You've put on so much muscle since you started lifting, be interested to see how long/far you can go.

Definitely know exactly what you mean with the assistance - I know I'm still going about it that way but I never half-ass a rep because I know I'll never be able to do an unassisted one if I don't push myself with them. And I did do some hammer-grips yesterday, actually. Felt so much better that way. Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of needing new sizes - all of my "small" t-shirts are getting really snug around my shoulders and upper-back. Pretty happy about that.

It's weird you've asked that because I'm currently writing a blog for cutting/bulking....I won't have time to post it before leaving Monday as I want to add in some progress shots...

I think right now I'm just heavy enough for my lifts. A point will more than likely come where I may need an extra few pounds to take me past a certain point but I think that's a way off. So realistically I'm just maintaining current weight.

A week off however is going to mean a few extra lb but that's kinda the point of a break. Not to worry over shit.

Nice feeling isn't it when cloths start to feel tight. Like a little nod to yourself it's coming

Also do let my pics fool you. I have put on some fat round my stomach but I'n fine with that. It's something I can address if I want...main thing for me was to just get some weight on my frame. Once I post the blog up it'll be a good comparison.

I can still, just about get into my 30" jeans but they are becoming snug round the waist. It's more my quads filling them out so I need new jeans really...

I'm also plotting a blog about newbies using super sets & the like....

Looking forward to reading your blogs once you get back as well as hearing about your break - hopefully you've been enjoying it and not chomping at the bit from the deload!

Just came across this Wendler article about conditioning - a lot of it's covered in the handbook but he gives more alternatives for people who don't have access to a Prowler/sled drags and the like: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/conditioning_101

A few nights back I had one of those surreal dreams . I can't remember the full sequence of events but at some point I remember standing in front of a mirror & seeing a very ripped, not huge but muscular reflection looking back at me...abs & all. This got me thinking......

This time last year when I was still a cardio freak after dropping 67lb in about 6-7 months prior I had a very lean physic ala Mr Pitt in fight club (but lighter I must of been) & I thought I looked very fit & healthy.

After wearing xl t's & 36" waist jeans being able to buy the skinny fit cloths seemed like a trophy of my hard work. Fast forward to present day & my views have certainly changed.

Seeing a picture of myself where my head actually looked like a toffee apple coupled with the fact my cloths in reality were a pathetic size for a guy I had to take action.

Now I'm weighing in at 187lb & I feel better in myself, my strength continues to grow along with my physic but above all I look a damn sight healthier!

The dream however had me musing.... "should I do a cut", "I wonder how I'd look" "Would it take long" & the like.

After processing this over a shift at work where I get left to my thoughts a lot one thing kept repeating in my mind.... "I don't want my lifts to drop"

It just confirms to me, once I'd realised I had been doing this was that...my goal, at a stripped down level, take away everything else is that I want to move a barbell which gets increasingly difficult to move....that's it.

I won't ever take away from the bulkers who will end up cutting, the cutters who in return will begin a bulk. For me it's a very primitive thing, I want to be strong but all year round.

I have nothing but respect for the bodybuilders of this world & on this very forum. I read countless articles, story's , workout plans & keep up with people's blogging here where bodybuilding is concerned. When I read people are cutting up & how meticulous they are with food it kinda blows me away. Also the love/hate affair with the scales, I have been there mind.

My biggest issue with the obsession with food on a cut is that it just, to me seems to detract from the actual point of going to the gym in the first place.... Also the idea of someone judging my body is another topic I don't want to cover. For me the number counting over takes the actual fun side of the gym.

My other gripe is beginners & intermediate lifters thinking 6 months, 1 years is ample time to build a solid base & will then want to cut....seriously wtf!!! Maybe in two years time mate, make that 3....wait 4 (myself included).  What these people fail to realise is that it'll take a long time to build proper muscle. As an example a good friend of mine with whom I use to work with was very over weight. After stripping that weight off he trained his ass off, stopped drinking, lifted smart & he had an amazing grip on his diet. 3 years on he added 50lb of mass. Only now is he thinking of a cut.

To finish off this rant I'm going to start with this conversation I had; "I'm wanting to bulk like you but I don't want to gain fat & I want visible abs while doing it". Face palm moment, I gave advice & I could see the "nah I'm not believing this" look in the guys eyes...may advice went along the lines of (also this goes to anyone wanting to gain):

"To gain muscle you're going to also have to gain fat, if you want to stay mega lean then you won't add any weight to your frame which in turn leads to over training & frustration. Under normal circumstances it's almost impossible to loose/not gain fat but add muscle..the only exceptions at a rarity being very obese, untrained people or folk on the juice"

I don't care If anyone bothering to read this doesn't agree & I in return I don't care you don't agree. Fact is your six pack is going to become a little blurry. I don't care how many crunches or ab circuits you do, even if you say you hit a million ab movements a day with multiple angles. All this does is over train the abs & burn much needed calories, also cardio (intense) is next to no good on a bulk. Minimal cardio on a bulk, just to keep the cardiovascular systems in check.

TO PUT ON WEIGHT YOU MUST CONSUME MORE CALORIES THAN YOU EXPEND! YOU WILL NOT PUT ON WEIGHT IF YOU DON'T!

You can't bulk & cut...simple! So man up, commit to the bulk & stop whinging!

Excellent advice, mate! There was an article posted up on T-Nation a while back (at least I think it was T-Nation) talking about how, for all intents and purposes, bulking and cutting cycles were absurd in the first place because people end up losing hard-earned muscle mass when they cut and/or gain too much fat when they bulk - the smarter way to go about is just slow and steady gains to prevent muscle loss and keeping fat gain to a minimum. Seems like common sense but I think more people would do well to read what you just wrote, most definitely.

Great writing mate.

I've never been a massive advocate of bulking as most people see it. I believe weight should be added consistently and slowly over a longer period so that your body can recognise the changes. How can it adapt if you blow up 20lb in a month? It can't ~ and you'll just end up losing it at some point. Gain fast, lose fast.

If you read through the last couple of pages of my journal you might notice that I'm gaining at the moment, this is deliberate and being done gradually through application of high quality foods/calories, an incremental fortnightly increase in calories and a slightly altered macro profile.

Everyone has opinions on this but many people never get the results, that's why I tend not listen to anyone and just figure it out for myself. Sometimes firsthand experience is just as valid as what science or studies dictate.

Cheers guys...

I value both of your opinions as I think highly of you . The rant towards the end is most defiantly  my way of saying to commit to your goals & do them correctly according to you. 

What I get fucked off over is the constant whingeing by some people who have no real idea what they are talking about...

Cheers guys...

I value both of your opinions as I think highly of you . The rant towards the end is most defiantly  my way of saying to commit to your goals & do them correctly according to you. 

What I get fucked off over is the constant whingeing by some people who have no real idea what they are talking about...

I second what Mini said, definitely appreciate the kind words - thank you.

And I most certainly agree with the last sentiment. In fact, one of my favorite bloggers just put up a really great quote from Matt Perryman that touches on this idea. Here's the link: http://www.thespartanwarrior.com/post/19397786992/mattperryman

End of my week off. Had a great time in Scotland, took in the sights & saw some cool places. My birthday was oddly based a round spooky events, Morning was the dungeons Where my other half got pulled up to participate ( I don't mind admitting I had my fingers crossed it wouldn't be me), we then headed to the museum where we saw a mummy exhibition & we rounded off the day at a pub call dr dr jekyll and mr hyde where the theme again was SPOOOOKKKYYYYY & weird.

My diet this week, as one should expect has been shocking. Obviously eating out all the time (I ve had enough chips to last me till my next birthday) but it was all great food, I'll post pics up when I get chance. My legs took a battering from all the walking & I could feel the difference in hill walking being heavier. Got loads of sleep to.

Having the time off hasn't really brought anything new to my thinking, Nothing has become clear & the like. This week I had planned to get a tight grip on calories but I think as it's first week back I'll just eat whatever (healthy food), Whenever I need it. Training wise I re set my sheet so the weeks still match up...General opinion in the 5/3/1 community that it's ok to skip the week missed but I don't wise to do that. My plan this week will likely be just to hit required reps on the main lifts, ease back in.

Today marks a return to work (boo), the gym (yay) & re-introduction of supps (urgh I'll never remember to take them). Also the constant drinking of water, this I hate as it results in constant bathroom trips. I ve never been a believer of the 'gallon' a day jazz, like everything different things suit different people. Myself I tend to drink a pint or two in the morning or until my pee is clear & I keep to that all day. Usually I get through about 4-6 shakers. This keep my flow clear most times.

As the working day wore on I came to the conclusion that programmed assistance, though a great template doesn't fit with my shift pattern when I have to train after work on a night.Getting up at 5:00, getting off work at 19:00 after a 12 hr stint is in its self a killer so I took the decision to not train with that template tonight. I do however fully intend to get on the boring but big 3 month challenge once this cycle is complete. Bring that shit...

I rolled with triumvirate tonight; my legs feel battered From work today.

Mon-19th-March cycle 3 week 2 (3x3)

Military press:35kg 40k 45kg+6

Assistance: 

Chins 5x10

Dips 5x15 

The simplicity in this session isn't something to turn your nose up at. It's the type of core work beginners & even intermediate lifters should hit, instead of the bullshit I see more often than not.

This kind of work seriously hits shoulders, traps, lats & triceps. Also biceps on the pull ups. Simple, effect & in all honestly left me feeling fucked. First session back, don't think my food in take was all that great today.

Job done

I started my week of trying out Triumvirate today but I always start my weeks out with squats - I hate the unofficial celebration of International Bench Press Mondays most people follow - so I just did squats, leg presses, and back raises (plus some leg raises and side bends for core-work). Simple, effective.

I've found that all the bodyweight lifts leave me feeling much more thrashed than all of the other bullshit exercises people kill themselves over - dips/pull-ups/chins > curls/extensions/raises, for me at least.

I personally have the hardest time consciously drinking a whole gallon of water in one day - makes me feel nauseous, almost.

I'll be interested to see how you like the BBB challenge. I most definitely will be doing it sometime this year but I'd like to run a few cycles of 5/3/1 with the regular rep scheme.

I started my week of trying out Triumvirate today but I always start my weeks out with squats - I hate the unofficial celebration of International Bench Press Mondays most people follow - so I just did squats, leg presses, and back raises (plus some leg raises and side bends for core-work). Simple, effective.

I've found that all the bodyweight lifts leave me feeling much more thrashed than all of the other bullshit exercises people kill themselves over - dips/pull-ups/chins > curls/extensions/raises, for me at least.

I personally have the hardest time consciously drinking a whole gallon of water in one day - makes me feel nauseous, almost.

I'll be interested to see how you like the BBB challenge. I most definitely will be doing it sometime this year but I'd like to run a few cycles of 5/3/1 with the regular rep scheme.

That's why I go with Military press on Mondays...I hadn't seen the gym so full tonight in a while. Loads of people doing their dumbbell raises in the mirrors lol.

I hear you on pull ups & dips. Dips tonight seriously hammered me & I had been dipping with a 25kg plate (55lb) round my waist for 13ish reps on a 5 set pyramid.

The BBB challenge is quite simple in how he's planned it but again thats the key...Be interesting to see after say on military day which has the lower percentage of bench then chins if I'm at all capable of doing any of the assistance lol though he has listed only cable work...I'm currently playing with his meal plan to obviously suit my diet, four decent sized meals a day at fourish hour intervals sounds good to me.

One of the things I ve put in being x2 peatnut butter, Banana & honey (or agave syrup) sandwiches with a couple of glasses of whatever milk I'm having.

Seemingly today I have lost the ability to add. All three of my warm up sets on deads were 10kg to heavy, it hadn't occurred to me I'd loaded on two 25kg plates making the first wam up set 70kg instead of 50kg (first warm up sets 20kg over). So I had gone past my first working set by the time I'd finished warming up. Then to top it off I again added two 5kg plates a side making my last set to heavy again. Then to top off the top off I had programmed my last set of front squats almost 10kg to heavy...so this extra weight on deads obviously fucked me over on my last set,  I just hit required reps. I ve lifted way over tonight & I'm gonna pay for it come tomorrow.

Rolled with programmed assistance tonight as its fairly simple on lower days. 

I actually properly ache today from yesterday's work out. My lats, shoulders, triceps & biceps all ache & even my chest.

Tues-20th-March cycle 3 week 2 (3x3)

Deadlifts: all manner of shit followed by my actual lifts 85kg 97.5kg 110kg

Assistance:

Programmed assistance ( 2x8 1x6) 45kg 55kg 62.5kg

GHR 3x10 reverse hypers 3x10

Ab circuit side bends, leg raises, hanging leg raises & cable crunches

Picture taken same week I had decided to put some weight on. This was maybe 10ish months ago....I'm fully aware my pose in the skinny picture makes me look rather camp.

Pic one I weigh about 63kg so 138lb, Second 85.5kg 188 lb. I'm only 5ft 10" so in person I look so much different, The t shirt is an x small & shorts a 28" waist.

http://i40.tinypic.com/28c21xv.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ng7huu.jpg

Still some way to go yet...I'm up for the journey

Well, I don't want to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes screws up their targets by going heavier but it makes me feel less silly about it. Hopefully the soreness isn't too bad come tomorrow and it doesn't carry over beyond that - at least you got your required reps in and that's what matters.

I know I've said this before but your progress is amazing. Even though the pictures aren't the same angle, the difference is uncanny. You're the poster-man for hard work and dedication, mate.

I dunno about that but at a point i just started educating myself properly . Funnily this wendlerisum went over my head until I re read bbb challenge & it's something I be thought  many times myself (just not worded in such a funny way Wendelrs hilarious I'd love to have a night on the town with him )

If you're afraid to eat, then please, don't do this program. This isn't for you, nor is it for someone that's scared one night of eating big will make his skirt fit a bit tighter.

I guess the odd miscalculation is a good way to stay grounded hahaha