Bulking phase

I fully expected to under perform today. I still ache like hell (you name a muscle it aches) & along with already working 36 hrs this week I knew it would be a grinder. Also on the week off my food level dropped & obviously the quality wasn't great....but I won't make excuses, I got my main shit done which is what matters. I had (again this week) programmed a lift wrong on the last set. Don't Know whats going on there.

Thurs-22nd-March Cycle 3 Week 2 (3x3)

Bench press: 67.5kg 75kg 85kg

Assistance

Incline press: (Programmed assistance 2x8 1x6) 50kg 60kg 75kg (see the jump)

Wide grip chins: (little 5 reps sets here & there between pressing so 25ish reps)

Dumbbell rows: 2x10 20kg 2x10 24kg 1x10 30kg

narrow cable row 3x10 (light)

Tricep push downs, rope hammer curls & cable lat pull all super setted (light)

This ended up a bit of a patch work session. I missed a little of the assistance work from programmed assistance Monday so I did a little making up today. Not that I needed to & really shouldn't of I guess (all I added in were cable rows) & I dropped kroc rows for normal set/rep ranges.

I did keep the cable work really light though, Working my lats lightly has helped loosen them up. Always think if a muscles still sore some really light cable work can help move it a long.

On a different note I had a great reaction at the gym today. This guy was one of the first people I started talking to on my first week of joining. Hadn't seen him in a while & he was like "shit man look at you"...Asked me what I'd been doing & obviously I waffled on about 5/3/1 & he said "well It's working I can't believe the progress"...I'm not one for ego trips & bro'ing down but coming from an experienced lifter who knows his shit really is pleasing & had me walking out on a high. Hoping to take that into squats tomorrow.

post workout grub up...Sorry to the vegans out there ;0)

http://i39.tinypic.com/a5kety.jpg

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is required as a minimum amount of protein to eat in a day for any bodybuilder. During a bulking phase make sure your protein does not drop below this level.

1) I take in 2g a day at least per body lb 2) not to be rude but I'm the last person who needs advice & 3) I'm not a bodybuilder

Today was a good day, decent weather & some nice food before squats. Session was solid & felt strong. I purposely hit required as I ve been achy all week returning from a week off so wanted to come out on a high. Very pleasing & another week already passing. 5/3/1 week next week so will be shooting for some good +5 or more reps on all the 1 sets.

BOOOOOOOOOOM

Fri-23rd-March cycle 3 week 2 (3x3)

Squats: 87.5kg 100kg 112.5kg

Assistance:

Good mornings (programmed assistance 2x8 1x6) 47.5kg 55kg 65kg

GHR 3x10 hypers 3x10

Ab circuit: side bends, cable crunch, crunches with 20kg plate,leg raises & hanging leg raises. 

Reading Mr Wendlers blogs where he replies to some questions this usual response  mirrors exactly what I think on people obsessing over food & trying to re invent lifting.

Question:  hi jim , some time ago i read an article where 2 lifters had a battle on shoulderpressing .  george halbert vs. mike francois . george as a powerlifter(benchpresser) with less musclemass was stronger at low rep or 1 rm and weaker on more reps than mike . i was allways a fan of “smaller” lifters with more strength than a 300 lbs bodybuilder like cutler or other examples .

so , a goal of westsidetraining for example  was and is learning and training for using more musclefibres (training with 90+% and dynamic effort)than with “normal” mid/high volume training. so it is possible getting stronger (too!!) without gaining more weight …theoretically . HA , you lost a lot of bwt. and you’ve gotten stronger , so gaining weight is not the ONE answer . i ask as a long year lifter over 30 . i know that younger lifters should gain so much muscles as they can .

hm , what do you think , just a theorie , bullshit ?

Answer:  I always feel like these questions are like drug addicts that doctor hunt – ask the question to enough people until you get the answer you are looking for.  This is always the kind of examples people use to justify not eating enough to make gains, keep their precious “abs” and continue making zero progress in the weight room.  The truth is there are some great lighter lifters lifting massive weights – Sam Byrd is one of them.  He is one of the most impressive lifters I’ve ever seen.

But Sam is an exception.  And you can’t use the exception to prove the rule. You can’t use Mike Francois and George Halbert either. You ever see that video on the YouTubes of the guy squatting 800 pounds for 3 reps at 220? (I don’t know the exact weight but it was insane).  You know why that was passed around the internet and the forum wankers like a crack whore?  BECAUSE IT IS SO RARE. 

Here’s what I propose to people: Eat to win, Train to win and Condition to win.  You do these things and LIKE A MIRACLE, everything falls into place.  You weigh what you weigh – I can’t believe that men are so wrapped up in what they weigh and not what they do. 

In conclusion, lift weights and get stronger. 

I am getting tired of reading headlines about diets. I stopped reading articles about them years ago when I figured out that like most major religions, most diets are about the same. And like religion, people are FANATICAL about their diet to the point of red-faced lunacy. And woe be the opponent to their eating beliefs - you are an infidel in their macronutrient war!

I <3 Jim Wendler

You ever see that video on the YouTubes of the guy squatting 800 pounds for 3 reps at 220? (I don’t know the exact weight but it was insane).  You know why that was passed around the internet and the forum wankers like a crack whore?  BECAUSE IT IS SO RARE. 

Here’s what I propose to people: Eat to win, Train to win and Condition to win.  You do these things and LIKE A MIRACLE, everything falls into place.  You weigh what you weigh – I can’t believe that men are so wrapped up in what they weigh and not what they do. 

When I read this on my iPhone yesterday, I immediately thought about you - should have known you'd mention it.

Looking forward to seeing the numbers you put up next week - just started my first 5/3/1 week and squats were a bitch for some reason.

You ever see that video on the YouTubes of the guy squatting 800 pounds for 3 reps at 220? (I don’t know the exact weight but it was insane).  You know why that was passed around the internet and the forum wankers like a crack whore?  BECAUSE IT IS SO RARE. 

When I read this on my iPhone yesterday, I immediately thought about you - should have known you'd mention it.

Looking forward to seeing the numbers you put up next week - just started my first 5/3/1 week and squats were a bitch for some reason.

hahah you know me oh so well

worked nights over the weekend so headed right to the gym once finished Mon morning. I ate a load of carbs as It's 5/3/1 week & it kicks off with OHP.

Mon-26th-March cycle 3 week 3 (5/3/1)

OHP: 37.5kg 42.5kg 47.5 +5

Assistance:

Close Grip bench (programmed assistance 3x5) 52.5kg 60kg 70kg

Chins (mainly wide grip) 4x10

Dumbbell rows (3x10) 22kg 24kg 30kg

barbell curls, tricep push downs (3x10 light work)

Everything felt good, Can't complain coming off nights. Looking forward to deads tomorrow so going to get an early night to catch up on some sleep.

Strong OHP, mate. Hope you get some much deserved sleep so you can blast through those deads tomorrow. I have a late-night/early morning bench session tonight (been setting my work-outs up so that I do them when I come off night shift as well so that puts me in the gym around 11:30-midnight).

Strong OHP, mate. Hope you get some much deserved sleep so you can blast through those deads tomorrow. I have a late-night/early morning bench session tonight (been setting my work-outs up so that I do them when I come off night shift as well so that puts me in the gym around 11:30-midnight).

OHP is actually pretty shit as I had not really trained a real military press pre 5/3/1...looking back that was a mistake but you live & learn. OHP is also prob the slowest lift to progress with.

I hear you about training times being screwed up, I got up at 15:00 sunday, worked 12 hrs 19:00-7:00 then lifted after. Is the gym 24hrs?

My bench is actually coming along pretty nicely thanks to the heavy dumbbell rows - I just need to find something like that for my OHP to get the ball rolling since it'll take me a while to even get to a consistent number.

My gym is 24 hours - if it wasn't, I'd be pretty screwed. My shifts at work are short for the most part but they're odd hours - from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., midnight, or 1:00 a.m.

Not sure there's much more to add, you're already doing all the work I'd recommend, dips, rows ect. All I'd say is that taking a false grip is a good idea, pinching your lats together & lastly pressing for reps. So bbb again would be what I'd suggest. But remember ohp is usually the main lift that takes time to progress with

My idea of being a sleep by 22:00 went out the window, shouldn't of napped so late yesterday. Managed to get some breakfast in before dead lifts.

Tues-27th-March Cycle 3 Week 3 (5/3/1)

Deadlifts: 92.5kg 105kg 117.5kg +5

Assistance:

Front squats (program assistance 3x5) 50kg 57.5kg 65kg

GHR 3x10 Hypers 3x10

Ab circuit: hanging leg raises, leg rises, side bends, cable crunch, standard crunch.

I won't lie my 92.5kg set felt heavy, randomly. But my top set flew up, 5 solid reps but unfortunately my grip gave out. Going strapless is helping with grip strength so I know in a few months the loss of a few reps will be worth what I'll gain in grip/forearm strength. Front squats felt light, even on the last set which is pleasing.

Planning to grab a new log book for when I start the bbb challenge, using a small note pad right now but I want more space to write in. 

Lol, "yo man will side bends work ma biceps I want biceps like arnies can I do curls every session what about leg press is that good for biceps chins Na man I'll do more curls & a lat pull downs what about I do loads of supersets to bro & drop sets even monster sets but I like using a pad on the bar to squat & I can't go deep it's hard but I'll still put a good 100kg on the bar so I look awesome squats work biceps right look bro I did a tricep kick back with a 8kg dumbbell so now I'll felx ma tricep in the mirror for half hour"

You know my advice for bigger biceps?....don't train them & if  you do, hammer curls over anything else all day long:)

You know my advice for bigger biceps?....don't train them & if  you do, hammer curls over anything else all day long:)

If only people knew the wiseness of that statement, it'd save a lot of wasted time in the gym.

At my bloated peak I had just cracked a 20" arm measurement doing nothing but squats, deadlifts, overheads, rows and close grips with 3 sets of hammers thrown in....oh....once or twice each month at very most . I'm sure I'll be long in the ground before the general population realizes that heavy compound lifts do SO much for arm development, since it seems most would rather spend their afternoons curling away in front of the mirror rather than make great overall progress.

Just interested, why hammer over regular?

Main reasons I do them for my only biceps work -

1. Lots of guys who are particular about preserving their biceps health (mainly powerlifters/srongman competitors) swear by hammer curls as being their weapon of choice to keep injury-free.

2. Movement feels more natural to me than regular curls.

3. More forearm work with hammers, which translates to more overall awesomeness!

Just to add to the above, it saves your wrists from taking a battering to!!! If you go cross body once your wrist is parallel to the ground the tension on the bicep is high, also the grip/forearm work you get is (as ve says) pretty awesome...

cross body & regular hammers are fine. I get more than enough biceps work from pull/chin ups & dumbbell rowing...seriously try a ball out set of db rows...Pick a comfy weight & just blast out as many as you can do. Your bicep will be pumped enough off of that.

Edited by veggiesasquatch

Just to add to the above, it saves your wrists from taking a battering to!!!

Never thought about that factor, but it is true, less wrist strain with hammers than standard curls.

I guess that, since I was doing nail bending and loads of grip/forearm stuff back then, I never really thought about taking it easy on the wrists. Once you get into bending, your wrists either learn to deal with the worst stresses of all time or they simply get injured and turn to crap. Even the worst wrist stress from doing heavy curls is 10x easier on the joints than bending steel!

haha nail bending that's pretty awesome I may have a look into that!What was it like? Have you ever tired the crushing a piece of paper one handed? Obviously you need to add more paper the stronger you get, not a cost effective way to train grip. ALso the wasted paper!

The hammer curls we're something impressed onto me by the strongmen guys & once I started to do them I could feel the difference in my wrist. I have an airline break down the outside of my left hand (on the top) & switching was a huge help. But as you say VE I do hammers maybe once a week & then it's nothing to shout about, I'd sooner bang another set of pull ups in.

Nothing of note to report before this workout, days off from work this week Mon-Wed. Spent all day playing Mass Effect 3 & doing house work. Back to work today:(

Thurs-29th-March

Bench press: 72.5kg 80kg 90kg+5

Assistance 

Incline press (programmed assistance 3x5) 55kg 62.5kg 72.5kg

Dumbbell rows ( per arm) 3x10 20kg 24kg 30kg

4x10 chins 

Tricep push downs.

Work Felt like an age today, I had been yawning constantly, was hot & stuffy so felt very drained (5:00 alarm call to) so was not holding much hope for a good session. I managed 5 solid reps on the last set (1 required rep) so that was (in the end) pleasing. Assistance felt fine.

I managed 5 solid reps on the last set (1 required rep) so that was (in the end) pleasing. Assistance felt fine.

4 extra reps solid, mate. Good work, especially having the yawns all day.

Hammer curls are the only curls that I've ever felt to be mildly beneficial - I'd almost rather run than do curls. And I hate running.

pre workout= yawns all day long again & not much energy...sucks

Some decent mobility work before squats then the usual run through of warm up jazz...

Mon-30th-March Cycle 3 Week 3 (5/3/1)

Squats: 92.5kg 105kg 117.5kg +5 (PR I believe 1RM of 138kg off of that which would mean I have added 10kg to my squat 1RM in 3 cycles)

Assistance:

Good Mornings (programmed assistance 3x5) 52.5kg 60kg 67.5kg

GHR 3x10 Hypers 3x10

Ab circuit of side bends, leg raises, Cable crunch, v-ups.

I think since having to start from the ground up on squats todays session marked a pr on squats.On the fifth rep I did take a while to come back up half way) & I had 1 more rep after I think but it's still pleasing to of pushed out 5 reps on a required rep of 1. All week actually I have hit 5 on every 1 set so that's pretty decent I think. That's me done on another cycle as gaining is concerned, deload next week then it's onto the bbb 3 month challenge...