Bulking phase

Excellent work on the squats, mate! I'm looking forward to seeing how the BBB challenge treats you.

Today marked the beginning of my first deload week and it felt weird to go so light on squats but doing the 5x10 sets after actually made leaving the gym without going for reps a lot easier.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a pretty awful nights sleep & I was still a wake watching Frasier (fyi I love that show) at 3:00. Got up at 8:00, ate some oats, had a coffee & got going to the gym as I have a delivery of supp's coming (cookies & cream whey:). I went in with the plan to keep assistance to a minimum & the idea of pairing OHP with deadlifts as recommend in the ebook/on jimwendler.com....The week off I had means now my deload week lines up with my 60hr week (Mon-Wed nights & weekend of days my worst week) so really it has worked out well. Funny how my shift rota is over a four week period as is 5/3/1.

Everything felt good, I always feel deadlifting a light weight (as with squats) can mean forms a little off but I concentrated & got some good work in.

Warm up was decent, I have now a little shoulder routine I run through to get the blood flowing. Only 1.25kg plates in each hand, I shrug five times, then shrug five times followed by five front raises. I do this adding a front raise, Side raise & rear delt fly (never stopping & shrugging between each movement) & finally some rotation stuff. Then I grab my first warm up set, five reps then I stretch & do a set of ten chins. Works well.

Mon-2nd-April Cycle 3 week 4 Deload (3x5 required reps only)

OHP: 20kg 25kg 30kg

Assistance:OHP Boring but big sets at 40% 3x10 20kg (free bar)

Chins 3x10 (2 sets wide 1 set hammers)

Deadlift: 50kg 62.5kg 72.5kg

Assistance:Deadlift Boring but big sets at 40% 3x10 50kg

Hanging leg raises 3x10 (I still stink at these)

Looks like a big workout but it really wasn't, Everything was light & easy. It's something I'll continue to do on deload weeks from now on & will do it either Thurs/Fri this week.

Anyone who follows my blog will see I went with boring but big for my assistance work. I did this to just get use to the extra volume & also I plan to run the ebook temple of bbb not the three month challenge. It's something I really want to run but I shouldn't be using an "extra" method to the 5/3/1 program without first running the ebook template for a couple of cycles. My plan is to work with 50% off my 1RM's for one cycle then on the second maybe have a play with the bbb sets. Like two sets at 60%, two at 50% then 1 at 40%. Shall see but in all decent today, Now off for an afternoon nap before work, PPPPOOOWWWWWW

Not a pleasant one today. Came off three night shifts & I'm full of a cold/sore throat. Is it me or is the loss of taste the worst thing to come with a cold? Made up some really nice food (home made veggie tikka curry) & in the end I just ended up having the shovel it down my gullet, Waste:(

Thurs-5th-April Cycle 3 week 4 (deload 3x5 required reps only)

Usual warm up jazz, as the weights on deload are so much lighter I did my usual upper body run through & hit my first "working set" for four sets of five reps on all main lifts this week. Usaly warm up with 40% 50% 60% of my max.

Bench press: 37.5kg 47.5kg 57.5kg

Assistance:

Bench press, Boring but big at 40% for 3x10 at 37.5kg

Dumbbell row:3x10 22kg

Chins: 3x10 (x2 wide 1x hammer grips)

Squats: 50kg 62.5kg 75kg

Assistance:

Squats, Boring but big at 40% for 3x10 at 50kg

GHR 2x10 Hypers 2x10

Leg curls: No idea something like 3x10 of randomness, Who cares it's a leg curl

Ab circuit of side bends, leg raises, weighted crunches with a 20kg plate, cable crunch & regular crunch.

Once done with upper body I had had enough, Just drained from working & the cold. I was actually mumbling to myself at one point about how I wanted to stop. As it's Easter bank holiday I'm not sure how training will go next week but on a brighter note I have shut down from work till next Thurs Pairing up the deload work has been pretty good, Nothings aching or feeling tight.

Looking forward to having a whack at bbb template, I need to really address conditioning work. I have no real plan yet, I have an idea of just adding in 2 light sessions over the coming cycle for may bea couple of weeks. If I walk to work some days that's 2.5 miles with my back pack on & the walk is all up hill pretty much, So I can/should be squeezing that in more often.

Trained today as I'm in Birmingham tonight for a gig & staying over. Didn't really mind getting a day in front as I had a lot of recovery on my deload week. Going to log this as Monday just to keep the dates in order.

Mon-9th-April Cycle 4 Week 1 (3x5)

Usual warm up

OHP: 35kg 40kg 45kg

Assistance:

OHP: boring but big at 50% 5x10 27.5kg

Pull ups: 5x10 (x3 wide 1xhammer 5reps wide+5reps hammer=1set)

Ab circuit: side bends, crunches, cable crunch

Did 10 mins on static bike end of session, nothing at all challenging...trying to figure out what cardio to put in. Will do this after lower days, did it today as wasn't pushed for time.

Summary: Fucking disgusting on the bbb sets! I hadn't trained a proper strict military press pre 5/3/1 so this was a bit of a ball buster. Obviously been training OHP since starting 5/3/1 but the extra 5x10 even at a reduced weight had me struggling come the second set. In between working sets & bbb sets I allowed for about two-three mins. 

Just goes to show how simple & effective this work is. Fuck all the side & front raise shit I use to do, OHP is fast becoming my favourite lift. Something about pressing a bar over head that makes you feel a million bucks:)

Fuck all the side & front raise shit I use to do, OHP is fast becoming my favourite lift. Something about pressing a bar over head that makes you feel a million bucks:)

It's funny that I used to think doing all the raises would help bring my shoulders out and and increase my OHP strength - what's increasing it is doing more of presses, chins, and rows. Don't really need much else. I've been stalled on my OHP forever but even with just one cycle under my belt, I can already tell the lift has gotten quite a bit stronger. Can't wait to see where I'm at after running this for 4-5 months.

It stands to reason that if you strengthen the areas around the shoulders that pressing will improve. I was wondering why Wendler didn't have any tricep work in the bbb template. But if you correctly press, shrugging at the lock out it really engages the upper back, traps & triceps (as you know) so come the end of the bbb sets my triceps had a huge bump in them. Also I have been doing the whole "use the lats as a shelf" thing, its like forming a base for the mid back, traps ect to work from.I focused more on wide chins & my lats are really sore today. I ve said many times my shoulder routine use to be rediculious, OHP for the win

I struck out on the shoes at the Adidas store...they guy didn't even know they made such a shoe (he was a manager) & asked if I was sure they made them lol

Tues-10th-April Cycle 4 Week 1 (3x5)

Hit up some foam rolling, mobility work, lighter sets & stretching to warm up.

Deadlift: 82.5kg 95kg 107.5kg

Assistance:

Deadlift; boring but big at 50% 5x10 65kg

GHR 2x10 Hypers 2x10

Hanging leg raises: 5x10

Ab circuit, leg raises, leg ups, cycle crunches.

Summary:

I decided to take off a set each on ghr & hypers due to boring but big on deadlifts, just so I don't overload my lower back & to see how it feels come tomorrow. Working sets were easy enough, I did go with full stops on deads as I usually touch & go.  I do actually stop when I touch so I'm not"bouncing" but as usual it just starts my sciatica off a little, not that I want to touch & go but I'm having to train around an old injury so what can I do...I do full tops on every set but the top one of the day (also belt up), this way I hope to be able to hit full stops eventually. Jim Wendler outlines these types of deads in his book so I actually feel a lot better about using them (also seen him deadlift this way).

Boring but big sets were also fairly straight forward (see how I feel tomorrow) but again my lower back had a huge pump, even after three warm up sets. Decent workout,  rest day tomorrow so may run a short distance if my backs not to tight. 

Here's a picture of Stefán Sölvi Pétursson. Watching him at last years WSM just made something click in my head & really pushed me to look at how to get bigger & stronger. Still don't know what it was he did but watching him compete gave me a huge buzz.

My fav strongman outside of Terry Holland & Loz...

http://i42.tinypic.com/mree6x.jpg

My family live in Redditch mate and I own a house in Stratford Upon Avon, a stones throw from you by the sounds of it.

Small world... except I'm about 20,000 miles away nowadays haha.

Yes mate Redditch is only 15mins away. It falls under Worcestershire & I live in Worcester.

Stratford is also really close to

Thurs-12th-April Cycle 4 Week 1 (3x5)

Usual warm up of lighter sets, shoulder work & stretching.

Bench press: 62.5kg 72.5kg 82.5kg

Assistance:

Bench press: boring but big at 50% 5x10 50kg

Dumbbell rows: All per arm 5x10 22kg 24kg 26kg 28kg 30kg

Pull ups: 2x10 wide grip 1x hammer grips

Ab circuit: side bends, weighted crunch, standard crunch,cable crunch.

Summary:

Breezed through this today, felt strong on benching throughout & should be being the lightest week of the gaining weeks. Boring but big sets felt good & had no issues until last three reps on fifth set, proper ache in the triceps. Not sure going light to heavy in the rows was a good idea, next week I'll have a play & reverse the order...

Fri-13th-April Cycle 4 Week 1 (3x5)

No time for foam rolls, coming off nights & in tonight so needed to be in & out. 

Squats: 85kg 97.5kg 110kg

Assistance:

Squats: Boring but big at 50% 5x10 65kg

Leg curls: 5x10 no clue what weight 

Reverse hypers 2x10

Ab circuit: leg raises, leg ups, leg raises

Summary:

Woke up at 13:55 & was warming up by 14:30. Lightest week where gainings concerned so thankful for that! Trained on a banana & some peanut butter so everything felt fucking heavy today. Squatting  was pretty sweet, some great depth on everything considering warming up was minimal, no time for foam rolls/mobility so will do rolling sat/sun. Boring but big sets were good, a light 65kg soon becomes a burn  & I kept rest to only 20-30seconds.

Another week already passing, flying by...

Mon-16th-April Cycle 4 Week 2 (3x3)

Early start today, food in take was decent. Warmed up with shoulder mobility, lighter sets & stretching.

OHP: 37.5kg 42.5kg 47.5kg+6

Assistance:

OHP: Boring but big 50% 5x10

Pull ups: wide grips 35 reps hammer grips 15 = 50 rep total 

Tricep push downs: 3x15 (light) 

Ab work: standard crunch,side bends,cycle crunch, cable crunch

Felt pretty good tonight, got six out on the last set (minimum three) leaving a good two-three reps in the tank. Boring but big sets felt a lot easier if still a proper burn by the third set. Pull ups were decent, can't complain.

Got tickets for the Avengers premier excited much!!!

Tues-16th-April Cycle 4 Week 2 (3x3)

No time for foam rolling & much mobility. Early start & a 12hr long day, got into the gym at 19:15 after waking at 5:00.

Deadlift: 90kg 102.5kg 115kg+3

Assistance:

Deadlift: boring but big 50% 65kg 5x10

Hanging leg raise: 5x10

Reverse hypers: 3x10

Ab work:leg ups & leg raises.

Summary:

Felt really good on deads tonight. Though I only hit 2 extra reps on the last set (total 5 reps) I purposely did this due to the 5x10 on boring but big. Still seeing how my lower back response to the extra volume. I did experience a huge lower back pump but this is nothing new...tidy session 

Tues-16th-April Cycle 4 Week 2 (3x3)

No time for foam rolling & much mobility. Early start & a 12hr long day, got into the gym at 19:15 after waking at 5:00.

Deadlift: 90kg 102.5kg 115kg+2

Assistance:

Deadlift: boring but big 50% 65kg 5x10

Hanging leg raise: 5x10

Reverse hypers: 3x10

Ab work:leg ups & leg raises.

Summary:

Felt really good on deads tonight. Though I only hit 2 extra reps on the last set (total 5 reps) I purposely did this due to the 5x10 on boring but big. Still seeing how my lower back response to the extra volume. I did experience a huge lower back pump but this is nothing new...tidy session 

Thurs-18th-April Cycle 4 Week 2 (3x3)

Day off & had a decent sleep. Had one & one half of a whole meal bagel & a shake before training. Usual warm up stuff...

Bench press: 67.5kg 77.5kg 87.5kg+7

Assistance:

Bench press: Boring but big at 50% 50kg 5x10

Pull ups: 20 reps wide

Lat pulls: switched to these as I had no more pull ups left, still recovering from the 50 on Monday I hit. 2x10 

Dumbbell rows: 30kg 28kg 26kg 24kg 22kg (all per arm 5x10)

Ab circuit: crunches, cable crunch & side bends.

Summary:

Benching felt easy, the 87.5kg flew up & I got 7 solid reps on my minimum of 3 on the last. Really pleasing & felt great. The bar was chalked  but & I swear this helped with my bench. Went heavy to light on db rows & this felt pretty nice with the weights becoming easier, I may keep it this way from now on.

I did 2 miles on the stationary bike & my backs killing me, so I can rule out using these for conditioning. Cross trainers & row machines to try next but I'm not overly  fussed on loads of cardio. A 10 min blast is all I'm after right now.

If the gym owner is telling the truth (after I asked him) we'll have a couple of prowlers soon. I can't wait for these!

By all accounts he's secured another unit under the current one & is putting in a crossfit set up. I don't know how I feel about that. It's where the money is & people like it but crossfit people are all cunts in my book (sorry if that offends anyone) & the thing in general is a joke. Some of the stuff I see on it makes me laugh. Still at the very least the gym owners still, as he always does is putting money back into the place.

Hey Veg - hope your back is ok! Don't touch the rowing machine if your back is giving you grief. Rowing is all about legs and back. Rowing with good form will work your back, rowing with poor form will absolutely wreck it. Go for the cross trainer I reckon.

The amount of people I see in the gym with crazy rowing form is ridiculous - although, the machine gives you no indication of the movement like a cross trainer/stepper does so I understand why people would have difficulty.

Cheers for dropping by lol

Fully aware how I should row on the rower & I had thought it's not a good idea. I use to run loads & I didn't get much grief off of that but as I mainly focus on compounds I don't want to pound the roads. I may just use the treadmills if the cross trainers no good.

Cheers dude!!

Fri-20th-April Cycle 4 Week 2 (3x3

Warmed up with some foam rolling, mobility & lunges ect Also lighter sets.

Squat: 90kg 102.5kg 117.5kg+4

Assistance:

Squats: Boring but big at 50% 5x10 65kg

Leg curls: 5x10 all random weights

Summary:

Woke up & my back had seemed to of settled but on the first working set it started to niggle. 3x3 sets today & was hoping to hit 6+ today after squatting 117.5kg for 5 last week but I could feel my back complaining at 102.5 even more so. Can't believe a static bike troubled me so much. I got an extra rep out so not all bad. Still crap not happy about it. Leg curls are leg curls so whatever....

Did no lower ab work as to not stress my back future. Did a very easy 10 mins on the cross trainer & not sure what to make of it yet. I felt it hurting my hips & I have a long body & short legs. It maybe just a run on the treadmill for me looking at it.

Another week wrapped up again, going so quickly.

By all accounts he's secured another unit under the current one & is putting in a crossfit set up. I don't know how I feel about that. It's where the money is & people like it but crossfit people are all cunts in my book

amen! there's too many people into the paleo diet that do crossfit, pisses me off ahha

By all accounts he's secured another unit under the current one & is putting in a crossfit set up. I don't know how I feel about that. It's where the money is & people like it but crossfit people are all cunts in my book

amen! there's too many people into the paleo diet that do crossfit, pisses me off ahha

I watched a video the other day of two guys training crossfit. They were ohp a barbell then tossing it to the other person (on the lockout) who then caught it, front squatted with it, pressed it then tossed it back. I don't even know where to begin with that.....

I watched a video the other day of two guys training crossfit. They were ohp a barbell then tossing it to the other person (on the lockout) who then caught it, front squatted with it, pressed it then tossed it back. I don't even know where to begin with that.....

hahahaha the words massive douche bags spring to mind

Thought I'd do a little update on my current program, Wendler's 5/3/1. I don't need to go into the program's core, google it & have a read! Awesome stuff!

What I'am doing is giving my thoughts on the two templates I ve ran & what I liked & disliked...again the core is the 5/3/1 programming & method so these are assistance templates.

Programable assistance:

This was the first template I ran with after a week of testing maxes on main lifts & also the programable (loadable) assistance work eg deadlifts paired with front squat & OHP with close grip benching...

The con(s):

Quite a bit of work to get though, past the secondary lift it's really what you feel like doing but as this is a template to get you big & strong you want to hit everything recommend. As an example (also this has been logged) on OHP day I'd hit the programmed assistance lift (close grip bench) followed by biceps, triceps, lats & mid back. This then again would be repeated the same week but replacing the two barbell lifts with bench & incline, hitting the upper body again.

I focued on the mid back/lat work & didn't kill myself on the tricep/bicep work. Again I don't ever try killing myself on assistance, that's saved for the main lift.

So the biggest thing for me was how time consuming it could be. Never mind warming up ect

The pros(s):

With programming a secondary lift I again had a plan, something to aim at. I loved programming the lifts & seeing what I had to do was great, I loved this & would recommend anyone to do it. What's better than programming two barbell movements? Nothing biggest pro being the feeling of constant progression! 

Boring but big:

The con(s):

The only one is that there's very little variety & I couldn't see myself running the template of a lengthy period of time. No more than 3 months. You repeat the main lift, eg deadlift after the working sets with a reduced percentage for 5x10 sets. You can play with the percentages for these.

The pro(s):

You can get a fuck load of work in, big work with little fuss. No moving a round, you say get in the squat rack & squat your ass off! Hit some leg curls to finish & your done. Obviously things like hypers & some ab work are a given. I also found myself to be a lot more focused with this template & I feel, because you get to set up shop on the rack it means you can allow for a min or two more between each set (on the working sets)...

Also it has shown me just how much the sub muscles of a lift get battered. On OHP day I have never had such a pump in my triceps. I do really enjoy this template so here's hoping the pros out ways the main con here!

I'd have to say, I can't really pick one over the other. Both have pros & cons