What are you reading currently?

kollision

I'm not reading this right now but I tend to re-read parts over and over again from a book called "Many Minds, Many Masters" and "Messages From the Masters" by Brian Weiss M.D..has anyone else ever had the chance to read anything by him? It's really brought me a sense of calm about a lot of things, especially death.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Thrive is a short book, but a good read and right to the point. Brendan is an athletic master and it stems from his nutrition background. I've spent quite a bit of time with him and I'm really impressed with how seriously he takes nutrition and performance.

I'm not currently reading anything...I need to find something. I prefer children's books like Where The Wild Things Are.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not currently reading anything...I need to find something. I prefer children's books like Where The Wild Things Are.

I think you'd like this book Rob - Muscle: Confessions of an Unlikely Bodbybuilder by Sam Fussell: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0349104433/qid=1151324042/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-2977675-5556755 .

I saw it in a second hand bookshop in Sydney once. Foolishly didn't buy it there and then, as when I went back it was gone or had been moved - it was one of these shambolic second hand book stores with stuffed just piled everywhere and anywhere. Never seen it since........

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder of wonders! A fabulouso used book store recently opened near where I live. They have a great selection of used books & a few new titles, too. They have enough veg cookbooks to have a three shelf section. I'm going there again tomorrow & this time I have some books to trade in.

Summer reading:

The People's Business: Controlling Corporations and Restoring Democracy

by Drutman & Cray

> The authors are both affiliated with the Citzen Works Corporate Reform Commission. (www.citizenworks.org) The book discusses the runaway power of corporations & ways We the People can reign in these behemoths. It is an excellent companion book to Thom Hartmann's "Unequal Protection" & David Korten's "When Corporations Rule the World."

It Can't Happen Here

by Sinclair Lewis

> This fictional story was published in 1935. It is about the rise of a President who becomes a dictator to save the nation from welfare cheats, sex, crime & a liberal press. The parallels between the story & what is happening now are interesting. It has been almost a sci-fi type of read.

The Gate to Women's Country

by Sheri Tepper

> A sci-fi tale about women & men in a sort of post-apocalyptic world. This story is a bit more of an uplifting read than "The Handmaid's Tale" which I also recently re-read.

The Demon-Haunted World

by Carl Sagan

> Everyone should read this book.

SQL Queries for Mere Mortals

by Hernandez & Viescas

> Work related, but good.

I just bought a couple of books and my Summer II class just started which means I have a lot of hispanic literature to digest but despite this exorbitant amount of Spanish that I must absorb, I am so into "Eat to Live" that I find myself making time to read both. I actually think there is a real benefit to reading something in English at the same time as reading something in Spanish. That way I avoid the Spanish burn out... so yeah, anyway, at the advice of others on this forum, I am reading "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman...it's a great book so far, I'm about half way through it. The nutritional facts are really interesting. Some of it is redundant and common sense but some of it is very interesting to me because I'm ignorant on some things. Especially the trans-fats...I knew they were bad but I had NO IDEA...it's very cool. I can't wait to get to the end...I'm gonna try to eat off of his menu for a while and see what it's like.

The next book I'm gonna work on is "Raw-some"...I forgot who wrote it but it's a lady. And then Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" I also just finished "The Da Vinci Code" damn I'm reading alot this summer...

• 1 month later...

Just finished The Game by Neill Strauss.

It's a book about Neill Strauss converting from a geek to a pickup artist and the 2 years he spent with the community of former geeks that turned pickup artists.

It's a little frightening how they turn seduction to a mathematical formula and how the "trick" gets the same response in every woman.

The main part of the book, however, is about the people around him and their story.

It's a fun, sad and frightening book all at the same time. I can strongly recommend it

It's a book about Neill Strauss converting from a geek to a pickup artist and the 2 years he spent with the community of former geeks that turned pickup artists.

It's a little frightening how they turn seduction to a mathematical formula and how the "trick" gets the same response in every woman.

The main part of the book, however, is about the people around him and their story.

It's a fun, sad and frightening book all at the same time. I can strongly recommend it

I just read the amazon reviews on that and it looks really good, so Im going to order it.

I am just about to start reading Skinny Bitch by Kim Barnouin and Rory Freedman. It finally arrived with this mornings post

I think I must be one of the few people on the planet who haven't read The Da Vinci Code, I have a copy here but it just doesn't seem to grab my attention enough to want to pick it up and start reading !

Hmm, is this a book to learn something or is it like a satire or something? It sounds interesting. Did ya learn anything from it?

Tigress I read Da Vinci and thought it was okay. It's a page turner, but I had issues with it too. You should read if if you have it. I'm not interested at all in seeing the movie, though

I'm currently reading "Alanya to Alanya." Two reviews: here review, and here

Hmm, is this a book to learn something or is it like a satire or something? It sounds interesting. Did ya learn anything from it?

I knew about most of it before I read the book.

Confidence, arrogance and humour is like make-up for men. The "naturals" in the book all have these qualities and the others learn to fake it (putting on make-up) and thus becomes more attractive than "naturals".

The scary thing is how they become pick-up robots in the process. I believe that alot of them were sociopaths before they became PUA's but they kind of released it onto the world with these methods.

I knew about most of it before I read the book.

Confidence, arrogance and humour is like make-up for men. The "naturals" in the book all have these qualities and the others learn to fake it (putting on make-up) and thus becomes more attractive than "naturals".

The scary thing is how they become pick-up robots in the process. I believe that alot of them were sociopaths before they became PUA's but they kind of released it onto the world with these methods.

That sounds kinda scary. Are you serious about the sociopathic remark? Perhaps misogynists instead of sociopaths? Are they really cruel?

I don't know if it's all that deep, but was it some sort of experiment to show how people can be influenced or change to that degree ? What was the purpose, I guess, I want to know. It couldn't be plain ol' fun entertainment...

• 3 weeks later...