Do you buy organic?

With the ridiculous price of producer these days, I was wondering how many here go the extra effort to buy organics. I usually try to buy organic fresh producer of anything that doesn't have a peel (like oranges, bananas, things like that). I also always buy organic soy producer to assure that I'm not eating any GMO soy. (I'll never be convinced that GMO is safe...ever). But how many here buy organic and if you do, what all do you get that's organic?

Where do you get your organic producer from? A grocery store, health foods store, local producer stand/market? I wish Costco carried more (or any) organic producer, so I can afford to buy more than just the few items I can afford at the grocery store.

I grow what I can in my garden--strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, peppermint, parsley--and harvest berries in the wild. (Froze 14 quarts of Himalayan and Evergreen Blackberries this summer; life in the Pacific Northwest is good.) I'm heading over to a girlfriend's this week to pick apples from her trees and turn them into my annual monster batch of applesauce. The rest I purchase from a local natural foods store, New Seasons.

Baby Herc

Wow that sounds awesome! You're very lucky to be able to grow your own stuff. I'd love to start a container garden, but my porch gets no sun whatsoever. So about the only thing I can grow so far is moss. We have a pretty good organic natural foods store (Ada's Natural Foods) that just opened up a few months ago. It's not cheap, but I can easily find pretty much anything organic, but paying for it is sometimes a different matter.

I wish I could but I can't afford it. I know there are health benefits to it, but the cost is too much. I do avoid many prepackaged foods though. Have you guys noticed a difference between organic and non?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Buying local is more important to me as, for the most part, buying locally generally means buying organically since small producers don't tend to use poor agricultural practices - they just won't have the organic label because there are a lot of hoops to jump through for them to obtain it. That said, this isn't a viable option all the time so, if there isn't a local option, I always opt for the organic version.

Ideally, I'd grow my own food but I live in an apartment so that's a bit difficult currently.

• 5 months later...