Unexpected side effects to going vegan/vegetarian

hellguy

Has anybody experienced any added/unexpected benefits to the vegan/vegetarian diet?

For me, when I stopped eating meat and adopted a vegetarian diet I lost a skin problem that I struggled with for 16 years. It was amazing to me that after many different doctors and dermatologists could not offer a solution that my problem is gone.

So this has me wondering if any of y'all have had something similar as a bonus to your choice of diet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

with vega my energy levels are so high that when i go to the gym and work every muscle group to failure i sit in the jacuzzi with the same energy i had when i came in.. although my muscles are too spent to move as well.

and i could see myself doing it 2 more times.. except for having failed muscles.

also, problems like indigestion, and complexion. eating lots of omega 3 helps with that, plus it makes your hair shinier.

so basically i feel like i'm high on energy with no discomfort in my digestive tract.

because i eat an omega 3 oil my brain works quicker too. i've noticed on a vegan diet (probably for this reason) that i can write more, and use/understand words. i.e. english becomes more complex and enjoyable to use. remember that all of the historic geniuses were vegan. einstein, plato, socrates, leonardo da vinci, tesla, ben franklin.

inventors/philosophers/mathematicians/artists.. veganism strengthens these abilities. meat eating i think has a tendency to cause learning disorders, lower consciousness (hindu), a loss of creativity, and even an ability to love (pythagoras).

meat eaters are the type of people that notice veganism is better, feel insecure, and try to talk others out of it.. because they'd rather forget that there's better than become it. and their attempts at doing it are stupid to a fault.. i.e. trying to say that bean juice (soy milk) is bad to put in your coffee, or that while you're making obvious muscle gains it's impossible to actually do so. consider that if this learning disorder is true that meat eaters are set back to childhood in terms of psychological development. i honestly learned about this firsthand when i was two, storytime: it creates a hostile impulse in the brain. this causes them to forget that they naturally discovered meat eating was bad in their biology and because of this discovery it's time to change. this leads to adapting into negative behavior where one would prefer to use a loss of memory over continuing to notice that they're doing the wrong thing. every meat eater for this reason has the tendency to shut off logical behavior when they hear the existence of veganism, try to force it out of their mind while their learning disorder cuts off that they thought about it. since no meat eater can actually remember anything, they energetically play 'hot potato' with knowledge that never sinks in. this creates a cult-like obsession with trying to make everybody a meat eater. i believe that ben franklin's note that the vegetable diet led to an 'occasional disconvenience' refers to this activity. when i go to the gym i'm treated like this. i went into a sauna with 2 people, stood in the corner noticing 'they' wanted to try and mess with my head while i sat down. the one in the middle left, and another one came in and stood right in front of me, instead of giving me any space at all. it was a huge sauna. there are ridiculous nuances to how it seems either schizophrenic on my part, or cult-like harassment. it literally is all based on how awful meat is for humans to consume. another point is that meat doesn't even refer to animal muscle. it is derived from the old english word mete meaning food. therefore 'meat' is another way of living in denial.

All of those things I expected. I guess I am an oddity. What about recovery time? Have any of you guys experienced a reduced recovery time? I noticed muscle soreness for a day and a half instead of three or four.

Barely been ill since going vegan and better skin colour/conidition. Down to eating healthier than anything else though.

Was this site that got me into working out which has came with a host of benefits. Increased muscle mass, stronger muscles/joints/tendons, increased confidence, improved endurance, the list goes on...

Back in July I was made redundant from an electronic engineering job I had been in for ten years. But six weeks later i found a new job - although similar to what I had been doing was technically more complex in many ways. From the first day I started my training on the new products and test equipment. This consisted of ten mins of quickly being shown and expected to diagnose these new electronic pcbs as well as run them through the diagnostic equipment on my own.

I picked it up very quickly and now i am very comfortable with it and have been offered a full time postion in my role (i started as a temp). Long and short of this is that I truly believe that my vegan diet has helped me with memory retention and speed learning skills. Before my diet i never thought to much about what i ate and certainly didn't bother with omega 3's but now i have added them to my diet (in the form of the algea DHA, and flax/hemp) i feel better in alot of ways.

I have more mental clarity and also feel alot more energetic than before. Whether this is just placebo effect or not i don't know but to be honest i don't really care i feel alot better spiritually and physically and will never go back.

I have heard that a vegan/vegetarian diet tends to improve the brains functions. I have noticed a decline in that area over that last few years and am hoping for a little boost. Overall though I feel great.

One more question; about going vegan.

Did you vegans here jump to vegan or was it a progressive thing? Why?

I have heard that a vegan/vegetarian diet tends to improve the brains functions. I have noticed a decline in that area over that last few years and am hoping for a little boost. Overall though I feel great.

For brain function, take a DHA/EPA supplement (or, at least one that's DHA from algae). Vegans don't really get much DHA, if any, in their diet due to not eating fish (who get their DHA from the algae they eat), and unless you eat a ton of sea vegetables, supplementation is recommended. You CAN get a tiny bit from things like flax seed, but apparently the conversion rate to DHA sucks, so a supplement can do a lot more good than hoping that you're getting enough from the few sources that have anything to offer.

For me, I was vegetarian for a year, then went vegan, as with many it was a challenge to get rid of the cheese and dairy at first, but was easy once I went without for a bit. Of course, 11 years ago there were far fewer good-tasting options out there, so now it's a snap compared to back then as far as finding more alternatives to the things most people miss when going vegan!

Way back when when I was going vegan i spent a year transitioning and learning. I feel thats the best way to approach and avoid the rubberband effect.

Energy, calm, better focus, better recovery. Those are the reasons why I stayed vegan after trying it for a month. I feel cleaner too. I didn't get sick as a meat eater though so that part is hard to gauge. I've been trying to think of a side effect that I don't like but I can't think of one. Vive Vegan!

• 2 weeks later...

Going vegan from vegetarian was a natural transition and didn't involve much drama. Going 95% raw vegan, however, was frickin' amazing. My appetite went way down while my energy level went through the roof. I was also weirdly happy all the time, as if I was high or on some happy drug or something. My joints loosened (didn't realize they were swollen with fluids) and I was able to bump up my weights right away. My recovery time from any form of exercise or stress was cut down by 50% or more. The downside, if you can call it that, is that I can't get away with occasional visits to the Dark Side anymore with junk food, coffee, or alcohol. My system is so "pure," if you will, that I'm super sensitive now. The most I can indulge is two fingers of coffee, a cup of beer, or a bite of chocolate. I guess I'm a cheap date!

Baby Herc

Going vegan from vegetarian was a natural transition and didn't involve much drama. Going 95% raw vegan, however, was frickin' amazing. My appetite went way down while my energy level went through the roof. I was also weirdly happy all the time, as if I was high or on some happy drug or something. My joints loosened (didn't realize they were swollen with fluids) and I was able to bump up my weights right away. My recovery time from any form of exercise or stress was cut down by 50% or more. The downside, if you can call it that, is that I can't get away with occasional visits to the Dark Side anymore with junk food, coffee, or alcohol. My system is so "pure," if you will, that I'm super sensitive now. The most I can indulge is two fingers of coffee, a cup of beer, or a bite of chocolate. I guess I'm a cheap date!

Baby Herc

I've been thinking about doing this for a few months now. How did you pull it off and what were some of the ups and downs?

My wife and I watched two shows. Food Inc. and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. After those we decided a juice fast was for us. After much debate I decided to just stop eating meat. The truth is that I like meat. I just decided that I didn't like the feeling it gave me and I wanted a clean life more than I wanted the meat. I think that is the trick to any diet, exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.

Sent from my DROID X2

Way back when when I was going vegan i spent a year transitioning and learning. I feel thats the best way to approach and avoid the rubberband effect.

I'm not too sure about going vegan. I am fully good right now being a vegetarian. Plus, the cost of food is difficult for me to go fully vegan. I have enough trouble balancing the food in my house between me and my son. My wife is still a meat eater and doesn't want to change. That makes meals harder to plan. Any advice about how to find this balance would be great.

Sent from my DROID X2

The truth is that I like meat. I just decided that I didn't like the feeling it gave me and I wanted a clean life more than I wanted the meat.

Same for me. I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like it, it was darned tasty. It was how meat was affecting my body and then subsequently my mood that ultimately led to the decision to start cutting it out. I took a road that's pretty common to many by first cutting out beef, then pork, then chicken. This took about four years. I remained pescatarian for a while, then dove into vegetarianism. But too many comfort foods were still available to my sorry ass (read: cheese) so I decided to cleanse my mind while dabbling in longer and longer trips to veganland. I always felt tons better when I did. When I decided to stay permanently, it was easy and smooth, a natural progression. Veganism was like the gateway drug to raw veganism--my raw vegan high floats me on clouds, I swear, and I'm quite happy to be addicted. I should note that I naturally put on muscle mass very, very fast and am built to carry it around in style along with fat, so all peripheral weight loss has been a blessing for showing off my natural lines. I'm raw vegan now since summer and all the dumbbells in the gym just keep getting lighter and lighter and....

I think that is the trick to any diet, exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.

I'll go you one further and declare that if it ain't easy and natural, it ain't right for you right now. A lot of people do stuff that feels hard, goes against their instincts, or just plain hurts. They call it a "challenge" and everybody claps for them when they conquer whatever it is they are pushing against. I've discovered another way. You can prep your mind and body for transitions so that when you take the step, it's so effortless that it's like walking through a door--no stress, no drama, no pain. The challenge-lovers won't clap for you but a new group will. I have a whole new group of friends now who support me like I never knew was possible. It's like a bonus check in the mail. And my body rewards me for not pushing it around by being so youthful and strong that I'm scrambling now to look for things to do to use up all the energy I have.

Do what you need to do until it feels right to do something else, then do that. We are all different and thank goodness. Otherwise the Earth would be one boring hunk of rock. Enjoy the journey.

Baby Herc

I'll go you one further and declare that if it ain't easy and natural, it ain't right for you right now.

Baby Herc

For me that is it. I have been on an incredible journey this year. Vegetarian feels right. I never tell people I will never eat meat again. I tell them I don't plan on it. We never know what the future holds.

Sent from my DROID X2

I think that is the trick to any diet' date=' exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.[/quote']

I'll go you one further and declare that if it ain't easy and natural, it ain't right for you right now. A lot of people do stuff that feels hard, goes against their instincts, or just plain hurts. They call it a "challenge" and everybody claps for them when they conquer whatever it is they are pushing against. I've discovered another way. You can prep your mind and body for transitions so that when you take the step, it's so effortless that it's like walking through a door--no stress, no drama, no pain. The challenge-lovers won't clap for you but a new group will. I have a whole new group of friends now who support me like I never knew was possible. It's like a bonus check in the mail. And my body rewards me for not pushing it around by being so youthful and strong that I'm scrambling now to look for things to do to use up all the energy I have.

Beautifully said!

My wife and I watched two shows. Food Inc. and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. After those we decided a juice fast was for us. After much debate I decided to just stop eating meat. The truth is that I like meat. I just decided that I didn't like the feeling it gave me and I wanted a clean life more than I wanted the meat. I think that is the trick to any diet, exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.

Sent from my DROID X2

Food Inc. is great. Have yet to see Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (Thanks for the tip). Anyway, to be fair, Food Inc. also includes the corn & soy industries if I recall correctly. I don't remember if they were presented but wheat and something else I'll remember later round out the over processed on the plant side.

I have yet ti eliminate corn from my diet

Try just eating it raw, right on the cob, all fresh and sweet and juicy. I save it for dessert and peel back a husk or two, then sink my teeth into plump kernels just exploding with natural sugar. What a rush! I always include a row or two of sweet corn in my garden every year just for this simple pleasure. When it's not processed or compromised, it tends to have zero negative impact, especially in moderation. But good luck with moderation when it's this good right out of the garden!

Baby Herc