Any guys here use the Hip Adducters/Abducters?

I remember when I used to do them, my friend would laugh at me saying, "It's a girls workout". Come to find out, when he tried it, it was hard! Any other guys here who get stares and such when they are using it? I find it funny when people think it's a "girls workout". I can squahs people between me thighs thanks to the hip adducter/abducter machines

they are the most profoundly stupid machines ever. they do absolutely nothing for strength in adduction or abduction. i have never ever trained with them but can easily rep any maxed out hip add/abd machine. far far far better just to squat, and deadlift, mixing the stances up so you sometimes go wide and sometimes narrow.

jonathan

our team has actually done these a couple times. at the end of our workout we chose one "stupid exercise" to do. it has to at least be semi funcitonal. since i squat and deadlift extremely wide, i put a lot of pressure on my hips to get me out of the hole. this exercise actually hits those rather well. i don't take the exercise that seriously, or even post it in my log, but its one of the few exercises that can target that group of muslces/tendons effectively.

I don't call it stupid, it does what it does. Especially for me, I can barely squat due to the pain it causes on my back and bones as well as the scrapes it gives on neck and back. I've noticed that it works out those areas pretty well. May not give out as much hormones as the squats, but it does what it does. Everything has it's place.

I don't call it stupid, it does what it does. Especially for me, I can barely squat due to the pain it causes on my back and bones as well as the scrapes it gives on neck and back. I've noticed that it works out those areas pretty well. May not give out as much hormones as the squats, but it does what it does. Everything has it's place.

Oh, Jonathan is just speaking as a powerlifter, no worries. I've used those machines before. I don't do it now and never did very often, but I actually enjoyed using them.

Most people will just say, "shut up and squat." That seems to be the popular quote for powerlifters and bodybuilders to use. But when you have injuries like you or I have, squatting isn't always the best option. I haven't squatted in years and my legs look like this:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/imgs/albums/RobertCheekeCollection/rc12.jpg

Could they look better if I do squats? Probably, but because of back injuries, I don't take the risk at this time and find a variety of leg exercises work well.

Even with all the crazy equipment out there, I also think that each piece has it's place. There are so many weird injuries, ailments or other limiting factors people have, that there is a machine for everyone.

I'll agree with Jonathan that squats are gonna be best, and those adductors and abductors are easy machines to poke fun at, but they can also be very useful.

-Rob

Hey Nat,

Squatting doesn't work well with me and as I found out a year ago when my back snapped doing deadlifts, that exercise doesn't agree with me now either. It dates back to high school back injuries that kept me out of action for over 6 months and I've re-injured muscles in my back half a dozen times since then. So some of my favorite exercises have to put on the back burner for now because one small mistake and I can barely walk for weeks. It has happened too many times in the last few years for me to risk it.

So, without squats, I do just a few exercises for legs.

Leg Press

Hack squats

Leg extensions

Hamstring curls (lying, seated, standing)

Calf raises

Bodyweight squats

That is about it. The cuts in my legs (the 6-pack you call it) come from just being pretty lean year round, and also from the past couple of years doing leg extensions. For those who do that exercise, put your hand on your thigh while you do it. You will feel incredible cuts. I've had some pretty freaky lines go through my quads that you don't normally see on a natural bodybuilder....feather-like striations, and I think it is from the leg extensions.

I get muscle size (not that I have much) from doing heavy leg presses.

I also do bodyweight squats and usually over 30 reps per set and I actually think that helps with size and definition.

Don't get me wrong, I still think squats are best, but I'm just scared to do them right now because I enjoy walking and having a somewhat pain-free spine.

-Rob

i agree that if you have an injury thent he use of those machines is less silly. nevertheless, the best option when it comes to back injuries is to strengthen the core like crazy. i use the example of JP over on Vegan Fitness. He has a weak joint in his lower back, has injured it several times, but due to being careful, and increasing his core strength, i think its unlikely he'll do it again.

kollision - in what way does squatting hurt your back and bones? do you use correct form? the bit about it hurting your shoulders is something that you just get used to. it simply wont hurt after a couple of weeks.

rob - i realise that you are worried about injuring your back again, but the only way to prevent injury there is to seriously strengthen the core. not with ab builders like crunches and stuff but with good mornings, deadlifts, squats and heavy ab work. your legs are in good shape, but they are on the small side, which i believe is due to lack of squatting. oooh - it would help also, as you mention its a muscular injury, to stretch your lower back out regularly.

When I have it on me, it puts a lot of pressure on the area, even with just 1 plate. I've done way more than a plate, but it still hurts so I stopped. It also leaves scratches/scrapes on my neck/back, so I stopped it for that reason as well. It doesn't turn at all while it's on my neck/back, so I have no idea what would cause it to scrape some of the skin.

I know that it creates a lot of hormones and all, compared to other exercises, but I just want to avoid injury as much as I can. Reasons I avoid doing benching at the moment since I have been working out alone again and not with a partner.

i dont squat for the hormones, its just a nice side effect.

to me it sounds like you actually have a physical reason not to squat. forgive me if im wrong in my assumption, but you lack core strength, due to lack of compound exercises involving the lower body. you do however have strong legs, from isolating exercises. because your legs do not struggle with the weight, but your back does, you assume that is the weak link, hence you dont squat, use isolation stuff and just make the problem worse. having a strong core is actually injury prevention, so by not squatting you arent doing yourself any favours.

i would suggest adding 3-5 sets of squats to your leg day. do them at the beginning (squatting whilst fatigued is not advisable) with just 135lbs to start, and add 5-10lbs a week if it feels ok to do so. as i said, it will hurt innitially (and maybe scrape your upper back/shoulders) but you will really quickly toughen up. i did 510lb squat lockouts a week ago to get used to the weight for yoke walking. i used a high bar position, something i never ever train. it hurt like hell, cos i held it for 25seconds, but next time i do it, it wont be half as bad.

jonathan

Congrats on that lift Jonathan, thats a lot of weight!

I agree on the squats because when I used to do it, I increased it by 10s each time. However, I stopped due to the reasons I told you. Probably it is core strength, I have no clue. However, it doesn't hurt to the point where I cant hold it, it's to the point where it is annoying and places pressure on the traps and I just don't like having that feeling there. However, the rest of my back is fine, no cramps or anything like that.

Probably I should get back into squats and just ignore the pressure on the top of my back. I have gotten so accustomed to the other leg workouts that I havent done them in a long time. I used to do lunges too but then started hurting in my urethra everytime I did it for some reason. Uggh....thanks for the motivation mate!

Thats some good strength you got there and good luck on the next trial