How many calories?

klaatu21

I'm 5'11, 80 kilos I lift weights three times a week and am starting kick boxing on Thursday, I'm not planning on getting big just nice and lean I don't seem to be gaining weight, Im eating around 2,700 and 3,000 calories daily eating more than enough protein and carbs I think, here's a list of my staples,

Wholemeal seeded bread

Wholemeal bagels

Wholemeal pittas

Whimbrel tortillas

Potatoes

Quinoa

Brown rice

Tofu

Seitan

Some fake meats

Cashews

Almonds

Sultanas

Spinach

Apples

Bananas

Avocados

Hummus

Loads of peanut butter

I know I need to eat more beans, just find them a bit boring

My boy-friend has similar stats to you in height and weight. I have been pumping a steady 4,000cal into him, sometimes more and only now is he starting to see some weight-gain. He is doing zero cardio at the moment and heavy weights 3 x week.

Try smoothies and make them high calorie. Derek Tresize had a good one posted on his website

http://www.veganmuscleandfitness.com/vegan-weight-gainer-revision-and-more/

Liquid meals are often easier to get down! Good-luck

I am about your size. Strange that you gave your height in imperial and your weight in metric.

I'm 6'1"/185cm 169lbs/77kg (was 85kg/187lbs before going full vegan, lost 2/3 of my body fat) and my BMR is over 2,000 cals. I eat 3,500-4,000/day. When my training is really heavy 4,000cal becomes the baseline.

You definitely need to eat more. Focus on eating just a liiiiiittle bit more than is comfortable at each meal. Gradually you will expand your stomach capacity and be able to comfortably fit in more at each meal.

Haha I use imperial and metric all the time, I have a background in art so everythings still in imperial measurements, thanks Ben I'm trying my best to just keep stuffing my face, learning more every day, and vegersize is that dry measurements or soaked? I have nearly five kilos of dried canalini beans that I've been waiting for an excuse to use

• 2 weeks later...

How are your gains? are you gaining muscle mass, fat? If you are gaining then it is fine, if you arent, then bump it up 100-200 cal a day and moniter how your body responds. There is no set amount od calories for any given height, weight ratio (there can be a guideline but not a near exact value). It is not rocket science; for if it were, half of the bodybuilders in the world wouldn't have been able to gain the muscle they did!

However, in saying that, start at 3000 and see how it goes.

And I've not really been monitoring my calorie intake because I thought it was too controlled is it a good idea? At least until I get used to the amounts?

I always recommend counting calories. Why? Because people either over- or -under-estimate their intake (usually the opposite of what they're trying to accomplish) and, therefore, end up spinning their wheels trying to accomplish their goals. Just because you think you're eating over your maintenance doesn't mean you are - to see real progress and changes, you have to track your calories/macros and be consistent with your diet, training, and counting.

And I've not really been monitoring my calorie intake because I thought it was too controlled is it a good idea? At least until I get used to the amounts?

I always recommend counting calories. Why? Because people either over- or -under-estimate their intake (usually the opposite of what they're trying to accomplish) and, therefore, end up spinning their wheels trying to accomplish their goals. Just because you think you're eating over your maintenance doesn't mean you are - to see real progress and changes, you have to track your calories/macros and be consistent with your diet, training, and counting.

+2

Do you know of an app or a web site that can help keep track of the numbers? It's such a daunting task, and what's a good macro ratio to use?

This is what I use:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Fast, effective, and if you have trouble, just google how to use it and you will be fine

And here is a link to calculate your total daily energy expenditure quickly, note: it is the most accurate one i have found so far, besides calculating it manually:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned

Best of luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

do 3212 calories a day, so should i go for about 3500 to go for lean mass gains? and what percentage should be protein/carbs/fat?

Well to work out your calories needed for lean mass gains, multiply 3212 calories by 15-20% and add that value to the 3212 calories.

(in the instance below we are multiplying by 20%, you can do fifteen though if you want slower and slightly cleaner gains)

So: 3212 x 0.2 = 642.4 calories

3212 +642.4 = 3854.4 calories

(Below is with 15%)

3212 x 0.15 = 481.8 calories

3212 + 481.8 = 3693.8 calories

Conclusion, eat between 3693.8 calories and 3854.4 calories per day for lean muscle gains.

Note: In most cases 500 is a pretty accurate variable to go by, however the method above is prefferred among more people.