What to eat?

Hey

I'm new to all this. I started training again, lifting weights. I also do cardio, but weights are my favorite

I have been vegan for 2 years. I was a vegetarian before.

When i started working out again, I was curious about my protein intake. Turns out, for the last couple of years I have only gotten like 30-35 grams of protein pr. day! (Maybe thats why I'm chubby... I wasn't chubby before)

I bought some SunWarrior last week and I've used it in all my smoothies. But I'm confused about how much protein i need?

I'm 175 cm. heigh and my weight it now 82 kilos. I go to the gym about 3 times a week. How much protein would be good for me?

(Keep in mind that weight loss is my ultimate goal)

Should I cut down on carbs? I don't eat white bread and pasta and stuff like that. But I sure do like my whole wheat!

I really hope you guys will help me - I'm kinda lost in this

Well it depends on a number of factors.

If you are going to be in a calorie defecit though, then protein consumption becomes of more importance, however, if you are going to eat an appropriate amount of calories then you need not concern yourself with stuffng the stuff down your gobb, as an adequate amount of protein will just come from the food you consume. A good rule of thumb though for somebody doing resistance training (weights) is 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. I also reccommend into the 811 diet, as I have heard and seen good results from this but haven't personally put it into practice just yet (still living with my mother and she wont let me do that as she wants me to eat lots of pasta and bread etc). Nevertheless, if you are going to eat a normal clean vegan diet I would suggest for somebody of your height and weight to ingest between 100-150 grams of proteein per day as a start point, and then move it up or down depending on how you progress.

Best of luck,

Nick

Nick: Thank u for your answer I have been on the 811 diet.. It made me skinny, but I got sick, very sick. So I'll just stick to "normal" vegan diet again. However, I find it SO hard to get enough protein. And 1 gram pr. pound is a lot if I don't use SunWarrior. I'll give it a try

Richard, A typical day would be:

Breakfast: 2 bananas, 1 slice of whole wheat bread with homemade soypate

Snack: Smoothie (1 banana, 2 scoops of sunwarrior, some strawberries and vanilla soymilk)

Lunch: 1 clementine, 2 slices of dark bread

Snack: Smoothie, same as before.

Dinner: Whole wheat pasta with homemade tomato sauce and fresh salad on the side.

for somebody of your height and weight to ingest between 100-150 grams of proteein per day as a start point, and then move it up or down depending on how you progress.

This would be quite accurate. The Australian Institute of Sport recommends 1.4-1.6g/kg of body weight for muscle growth. However women typically require 10-15% less than men as they have less lean body mass, so you could say about 1.3-1.5g/kg for women. For your weight this would be 106-123g protein.

Try and increase your intake of beans, lentils, soy-milk, tempeh, tofu, seitan etc at lunch and dinner... that way you won't have to rely on protein powder for the majority of your protein intake. I aim for around 110g per day myself and manage to do this with one shake a day. At the moment your main meals are pretty low protein so making a few adjustments will help significantly.

Good-luck