running for love

John V

My training log in that forum here is consistent for a few years, only some of which I was running, and mostly lifting for upper body development. I started out running a few years ago and had various injuries, then switched to lifting.

For the last couple of months I've been running 2 miles on the treadmill at 0 incline mostly. Lately I've been adding .1 mph per session and am now at 5.7 mph for a 21m5s trot of 2 miles. I cool down with a 3 mph walk for 1/4 mile, checking my HR, which by the end of 2 miles today was in the upper 170s. I'm making it on to the treadmill about 3 or 4 times per week. My goal is a 1/2 hour 5k. That's about 5% faster and 50% further than I'm training at now. At 52 yo, just over 5'10" and currently just under 220# I've got 50# to spare. I'm feeling great about running.

Can I get some love here?

Yeah! Way to stay on it! So inspirational!

Do you have any tips for not getting bored on the treadmill? I could really use some.

Have you noticed your recovery times improving?

Do you have any goals for running in official events?

What keeps you so motivated?

Does envisioning this guy help you to run faster?

Congratulations, John!

good job.

interval training and varying your running routine will help greatly. also get some outside running experience, big difference in street running and treadmill running.

Thank you. I appreciate the big difference running out side. I've done that in the past and will in the future. For now I'm enjoying zoning out watching my mileage, time and speed.

Yeah! Way to stay on it! So inspirational!

Do you have any tips for not getting bored on the treadmill? I could really use some.

Have you noticed your recovery times improving?

Do you have any goals for running in official events?

What keeps you so motivated?

Does envisioning this guy help you to run faster?

Congratulations, John!

Boredom is a luxury to which I look forward, I appreciate the time to let my mind go and not think about my work duties.

My recovery is greatly improved, both in my drop in BPM HR immediately after slowing down and also in terms of being ready the next day to do it again after some weeks of only being up for 1 or two runs a week. I could surpass my goal of 15 runs this month.

What keeps me motivated is hope that I'll be healthy when I'm in my 90s and beautiful women like vivalasvegans.

The axe guy does not make we want to run faster, but it makes me want to stop and take away his ax before kicking him low a couple of times.

Thanks for your support. Congratulations on your great success on the bike this year. " title="Applause" />

• 1 month later...

Great work John V! I discovered running about two years ago. When i found out i was going to be a father i thought i better get fit! Be a good roll model! Now i find the km's (kilometres is an Australian term for .62 of a mile )tick by. Now its like i need to run every day. All the best with your training, the first few steps are always the hardest!

Good luck for the future! You'll be kicken butt at 90!!

Great work John V! I discovered running about two years ago. When i found out i was going to be a father i thought i better get fit! Be a good roll model! Now i find the km's (kilometres is an Australian term for .62 of a mile )tick by. Now its like i need to run every day. All the best with your training, the first few steps are always the hardest!

Good luck for the future! You'll be kicken butt at 90!!

Thanks! I'm amazed when fatherhood doesn't change men entirely for the good. Congrats on becoming a Dad and on developing your good habit of running. I'm still trying to tune my lifestyle to best promote my longevity. Most especially running represents liberty of every sort. I'm very inspired by the 100 year old Sihk gent who just finished the Toronto Marathon. He started running at 89! His secrets: ginger curry, tea and staying away from negative people.

Happy trails!

Keep at it man! A walk/run interval program does wonders for building up endurance to get to a 5K. You slowly crank down the walk/run ratio each week until you're doing like run 14 minutes, walk 1, repeat. I started out that way about 20 months ago and now I'm doing half marathons. Keep putting in the work, you'll see the progress.

Keep at it man! A walk/run interval program does wonders for building up endurance to get to a 5K. You slowly crank down the walk/run ratio each week until you're doing like run 14 minutes, walk 1, repeat. I started out that way about 20 months ago and now I'm doing half marathons. Keep putting in the work, you'll see the progress.

Thanks Ben. At my age and fitness level the challenge is not over doing it and allowing injuries to heal before continuing on. My weight ads to the injury likelihood and though I eat very clean, portion control is needing improvement. This month I've been giving my best effort and have increased frequency, mixing in the bike and cross trainer. Still, my weight isn't budging, though my fitness has certainly improved.

Hey john V.

Have you ever seen this guy?: scottjurek.com .

He is a vegan ultra runner. Very inspirational guy! In the mid 2000s he was un beatable! he won Western states 100mile race 7 years in a row!

In 2005 he set the course record at Badwater. A 135mile race through death valley!

The guy is a legend!